Have you watched Barbie movie? thoughts...

it was ok, it was entertaining, but it wasn't like THE movie of the decade either

And most definitely, it's not a movie for kids. Which is the part I hate the most. Not that it's not for kids, I think that's great, but what I hate is the misconception a lot of people have, and this whole Barbie-fever that has followed, and now everyone will have their Barbie themed parties, and Barbie halloween costumes, and Barbie sales will explode as if they needed to sell any more, and everyone is wearing pink, and it's like, good, but this ain't it. It wasn't about that

Like, THIS is a Barbie movie for kids

MV5BOWIyN2Y5NmYtMzdjZi00MzcyLWI2NzgtNjM4

but Margot Robbie's has nothing to do with that, and I think that's what a lot of people don't understand. Which I guess it's fine, if parents take their kids to watch this, it won't hurt them, but I think they need to be older to understand the true meaning and the message of this story. In fact I think most kids would find it boring.

And at the same time, even though I agree with the message and everything, I'm still not sure if it was needed to use the Barbie brand to tell this story. Like, the whole movie could've existed without the Barbie theme, like it could've been a generic doll, or it could've been Bratz, or something made up, not necessarily dolls, any other franchise, and it would've worked the same.

So I don't know for example, any people out there who are fans of the animated Barbie movies that have come out over the years, how do they feel in regards of this movie, because Barbie as a character already exists, and many stories starring Barbie have already been done, but this is something completely different. Is it better, is it worse, can they both coexist each in their own universe? Probably, but again, I don't know if it was necessary. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 4

It really felt weird to me how a Barbie movie is not meant for kids like this. 

I mean of course Kids seing this movie will not hurt them and might open their mind to some stuff when they get older and that is great but I was expecting something more like Pixar does: movie for kids but still entertaining for adults with different layers and stuff. 

I did not liked the ending either, the ""final choice"" but otherwise it's a great movie and it's really beautiful and everyone one looks amazing it ! The parts about feminism were great in my opinion to introduce people to it if they never heard or searched about it. 

Also what kind of upset me was all the jokes about matel or the brand and the fact that it is an approved matel movie because at some point I was like "are they making fun of us customers?" maybe I missed the point of the jokes but some part really felt hypocritical coming directly from matel. Also praising plastic in 2023 feels weird lol 

I actually have mixed feelings about the movie even if I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

it was ok, it was entertaining, but it wasn't like THE movie of the decade either

And most definitely, it's not a movie for kids. Which is the part I hate the most. Not that it's not for kids, I think that's great, but what I hate is the misconception a lot of people have, and this whole Barbie-fever that has followed, and now everyone will have their Barbie themed parties, and Barbie halloween costumes, and Barbie sales will explode as if they needed to sell any more, and everyone is wearing pink, and it's like, good, but this ain't it. It wasn't about that

Like, THIS is a Barbie movie for kids

MV5BOWIyN2Y5NmYtMzdjZi00MzcyLWI2NzgtNjM4

but Margot Robbie's has nothing to do with that, and I think that's what a lot of people don't understand. Which I guess it's fine, if parents take their kids to watch this, it won't hurt them, but I think they need to be older to understand the true meaning and the message of this story. In fact I think most kids would find it boring.

And at the same time, even though I agree with the message and everything, I'm still not sure if it was needed to use the Barbie brand to tell this story. Like, the whole movie could've existed without the Barbie theme, like it could've been a generic doll, or it could've been Bratz, or something made up, not necessarily dolls, any other franchise, and it would've worked the same.

So I don't know for example, any people out there who are fans of the animated Barbie movies that have come out over the years, how do they feel in regards of this movie, because Barbie as a character already exists, and many stories starring Barbie have already been done, but this is something completely different. Is it better, is it worse, can they both coexist each in their own universe? Probably, but again, I don't know if it was necessary. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

idk kids can def watch tbh if they dont understand it, so be it, but liek the only non child appropriate part is the dreadful f word (facist)

I went to see it in the cinema on release day with my sister and mum, we all enjoyed it so much! Me and my sister also dressed up in pink and my local cinema had a life-size Barbie doll box you could go inside for photos.

I appreciate the film for the different themes it explores such as feminism, male patriarchy, capitalism and existentialism. Feminism especially as Barbie has been accused of being anti-feminist in the past. And it was just generally a very funny and visually appealing film, with a somewhat sad ending too.

And yes it's interesting the film wasn't really aimed at kids. I didn't mind because I feel like this film was designed for people who grew up with Barbie who are now adults but still want to be able to enjoy a Barbie film (not that I'm saying they can't watch the animated films, I love the ones that came out in the 2000s)

Edited by Isla

Although I loved the feminism, and the whole message of the movie, I though the movie was just that, and I didn’t really enjoy it all that much. 

Besides having a feel good vibe over the nostalgia and the whole message and meaning of this movie for SO many girls and women…. I didn’t really enjoy the movie for anything else but that.

It felt a bit chaotic and flat. The plot was weak and a stretch at times. There were some good jokes but nothing out of the ordinary. And it felt too fake ridiculous at points. It is always a difficult line to walk when you want to keep it safe for the kids but still target grown-ups. 
Margot Robbie, America Ferrera and Ryan Gosling were great. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block