mattxiv Discusses how Comments Against Britney's Body in 2007 harmed MANY People

mattxiv is a popular progressive political and social commenter who frequently discusses issues effecting people in society. His recent post reveals how inaccurate and disrespectful comments about Britney Spears and specifically her body were in 2007. However, one of the more notable parts of the post is people coming forward about how this affected them personally. Many people are saying how they did not make it out of the 2000's without an eating disorder as a result of mean comments like the ones made against Britney. The reveals just how dangerous this element of pop culture was back then, and this doesn't even include the countless other harmful characteristics of that time.

----

I think this really highlights how disgusting comments hurt everyone. I wanted to post this to put emphasis on the importance of kindness in all situations. Also it's important to remember that people like Joel McHale STILL haven't apologized for their rude comments against Britney, even after #WereSorryBritney trended in early 2021.

• Love 2

I agree. What I find even more fascinating and rather disgusting is how some fans on here are still stuck in that era and continue treating women in that same fashion or demeanor. We need to stop shaming or talking about people’s bodies or looks. It’s beyond me how some continue to do that here and those who do need to subconsciously train their thoughts to stop. 

Edited by BadBunny
  • Love 4
  • Super Mods

I was 14 back then and I remember everyone calling her fat but SHE WAS NOT!
She looked sxy and hot!

She looked great considering she just had a baby several months before.

What I remember from the 2000s is that anorexic thin was in.

Why else do u think Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff got eating disorders?

People back then were so used to her being thin and athletic,

that when she got a more curvaceous figure; they automatically called her fat.

Which is ironic cause nowadays her body type back then would be considered attractive.

5 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

I was 14 back then and I remember everyone calling her fat but SHE WAS NOT!
She looked sxy and hot!

She looked great considering she just had a baby several months before.

What I remember from the 2000s is that anorexic thin was in.

Why else do u think Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff got eating disorders?

People back then were so used to her being thin and athletic,

that when she got a more curvaceous figure; they automatically called her fat.

Which is ironic cause nowadays her body type back then would be considered attractive.

Personally, I never thought she looked fat. I’m also not a girl but I know a lot of girls who were in fact effected by the lack of body positivity in the mid-to-late 2000s.  In retrospect, it was a horrible and toxic era.  

Edited by BadBunny
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, jordeezus said:

No. It had nothing to do with "fatphobia" as Britney was not fat. This is stupid. 

7s6i4e.gif

But the media and people were calling her fat. How does it have nothing to do with fatphobia? Many women and young girls were going through body image issues because there was a huge fear of not being paper thin in the 2000s thanks in part to the media and modeling industry. I was too young to remember all of this to the extent that I do now nor am I a female but I know many who did go through a lot of body image issues then and who thought they were fat when they really weren’t.

Here’s a recent example I saw on Twitter:

spacer.png

The fact that people called this fat? :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking:

Edited by BadBunny
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

If you compare it to the rehearsals you can tell it was tampered with, shot is wider- angle is lower. They were setting her up

I thought I was the only one thinking that, in the last dress rehearsal that leaked she looked hot and fantastic (except for those hair extensions :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:). 

I wouldn't use the term "fatphobia" in this context (I prefer body shaming), but I do agree that the the ever judging attitude towards celebrities (especially Britney) was not hurtful towards just them, but also everyone. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Late 90s and early 00s were really horrible time to grow up and try to find your own identity. Not because we saw photoshopped celebrities on magazines, or because they were actually skinny as a needles, but because the general public admired only that type of body, and if you didn't fit that mould, you were called fat, or ugly. Like it was the norm to call people fat, even if they were within the normal weight range. It was no wonder that eating disorders boomed in those times and people even made fun of that too(!!!).

Remember people, your body, your rules. You do you and whatever makes you comfortable. If you are healthy and happy, there's no need to change yourself. Call out body shaming losers  :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap:

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block