'The Idol' director Sam Levinson talks Britney Spears comparisons (video)

With every word i read about what happens in the idol i’m more convinced this show is just legal p.o.r.n Probably all the h0rny people gonna watch it and will be successful regardless how bad critics for it. So more streaming for Brit if they used her song in some scenes. 

I'm more interested with soundtrack. Hope they will release Gimme More The İdol remix.

Edited by Dreamer26
  • Love 1

By that answer it sounds like he wasn’t prepared for that question which is odd because anyone watching the trailer and reading the premise (pop star coming back from a “psychotic break”) will automatically think of Britney Spears. At least own it… I believe him that he wrote the show to be more condemning of the people and system AROUND the industry and not to exploit the old “troubled pop star” narrative. So why not own it ? 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

There’s something weird about this guy - he also did Euphoria and that is literally child p*** but on tv. This show is apparently even more exploitive and gross…

Just because a show deals with difficult subjects does not mean it is "literally" the gross term you used.

Go watch a kitty litter commercial instead then.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

There’s something weird about this guy - he also did Euphoria and that is literally child p*** but on tv. This show is apparently even more exploitive and gross…

This...

I mean these people are here giving conferences about how awful and exploitative the music business is for women... and then they show exactly that but in a glamorous way, with s3xy outfits and make up and music. Then that ends up becoming most of the show. They SAY they criticize that but then they make another product that looks exactly like it, enhanced even.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Dreamer26 said:

With every word i read about what happens in the idol i’m more convinced this show is just legal p.o.r.n Probably all the h0rny people gonna watch it and will be successful regardless how bad critics for it. So more streaming for Brit if they used her song in some scenes. 

I'm more interested with soundtrack. Hope they will release Gimme More The İdol remix.

Legal ****? Where is it not legal lol I'm confused. 

46 minutes ago, Arthurfleck said:

I didnt understand his final argument… they made it look like it was Britney in the pilot so the press would write nicely about it? Is that what he said?

Yeah I don't understand either... Is he meaning it's the press who are pushing the narrative of the character being based on Britney... And he also mentions a publicist then sips... Is he referring to someone specifically? 🤔

1 hour ago, Dreamer26 said:

The way the idol was originally written by a women and suppose to show the struggles of women in the music/film industry and then the weeknd and sam levinson took it over and changed it to an exploitative softcore p.orn... irony in its finest and is the industry summed up and this is one of the reason why Britney never fully back to perform. 

I really hope she is not heavily involved in this! When Levinson and Abel took over and re-wrote everything, they turned it into a misogynistic SA fantasy. I won't be watching this.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block