Become an Exhale moderator!

• Leader

moderators.thumb.png.325410aa84eb84483feb4699cbf2f1a0.png

Hi Exhale,

It's always been important to me to have BreatheHeavy be a safe space on the Internet. One facet to successful communities is the team of moderators.

I can't thank Exhale's existing moderation team enough for volunteering their time to help @Super Mods @Moderators.

I'd like to include a few new members to join our moderators team. 

Moderators are the eyes, ears and voices of a community.

Moderators have intimate knowledge of how a community functions from a member standpoint, as well as behind-the-scenes insight. They are essential for keeping a community safe.

Moderators must know when to allow freedom of speech (even if it differs from their own personal point of view). If a member's comment breaks the community guidelines and/or overtly detracts from the conversation, it may be appropriate to moderate.

Moderators ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to be heard and advocates for them. Their focus is more on inspiring members to positively contribute and less on restricting access / punishing.   

Successful Moderators:

• Welcome new members
  • Oversee and monitor conversations
  • Encourage members to engage with others within the community
  • Privately message members when conflict arises
  • Reward members (badges, points, comments) for positively contributing
  • Celebrate members' successes
  • Nurture members by inspiring engagement and removing any obstacles
  • Edits and/or removes inappropriate content (per the guidelines)
  • Sparingly issue warnings
  • Feature engaging and interesting topics to the homepage
  • Use their power for good
  • Provide valuable feedback based on data

How to apply?

1. Please comment in this topic that you are interested.
  2. If you would like to nominate someone who you feel matches the descriptors above, feel free to @ them in this topic. 
  3. Email exhale[@]breatheheavy.com with:
    1. A little background about you
    2. Why you want to be a moderator on Exhale
    3. Describe your moderation style
    4. How you think you can help improve the community

There is specific criteria I am looking for. Please apply if you are an active member and have been for at least a few months (it's important you already know the culture and want to further shape it).

Please note this is a volunteer role. If you frequently visit Exhale, and would like to help maintain the integrity of this community while you're already online, this may align with you. 

If you have any questions / comments / feedback, please weigh in in the comments. This is not an opportunity to comment on the existing moderation team, so please refrain unless it's positive. If you would like to bring something up privately, feel free to private message me. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Leader
2 minutes ago, Damon said:

Lol 💯. The last topic I made about moderation was back in April and nothing came of it. I am way more prepared this time.

I have created a series of easy-to-digest guides for all new moderators coming on that lay out the basics, including how to use the platform's moderation tools. Moderators will have access to these guides when accepted.

• Love 1
  • Leader
Just now, Antidote said:

And what about moderators acting like dictators on the forum?

spacer.png

I want to avoid this kind of public discussion please. If you have something you would like to talk about in private, please feel free to privately message me. 

Here is a section in the new Moderator guides though (so we are all on the same page):

Moderation is an essential component because it creates structure and boundaries within Exhale.

Moderation is less about restriction and more so about allowing Exhalers to express themselves in a healthy way. 

Like all communities do, Exhale runs into issues. That's why we have a clear set of community guidelines laid out for all members; it only takes a couple of toxic trolls to bring down an entire community of thousands of members.

As an Exhale moderator, it's important to find the balance between allowing freedom of speech and restricting what people can and can't say. 

If a member says something you don't agree with, or you don't particularly care for this members, that does not give permission to silence or punish them. Use sound judgement!

An Internet troll tends to want to see what they can get away with and push the boundaries to the brink. They’ll claim that they are not allowed to speak their mind, but I want to stress the importance this:

Freedom of speech has some limitations. 

For instance, you can't just shout ‘FIRE!’ in a crowded room because you believe you have the right to freedom of speech (though some would argue you can, which is why guidance is imperative). There are certain rules that everyone needs to follow in order for an online community to function.

Not every questionable comment deserves punishment. Use proper judgement. Please refer to the community guidelines and decide whether a comment clearly and overtly breaks the rules.

If the comment does not add to the overall well-being of the community, you may consider taking action. 

What happens if someone "breaks the rules” or ignores these guidelines? 

You may take action against an Exhaler using the Warnings Points system. It's important to establish to the community that you're there for them and that your priority is to hear them out, but at the same time you must take action to keep the peace. 

Exhale has automatic moderation tools and a warning system section baked into the platform. 

One important component to these rules is that you enforce them across-the-board to all members and do so consistently. 

If you leave the door open for one member and not another, it's going to create an unwanted hierarchy and instigate chaos.

One of the best ways to be consistent is by walking the walk. Show Exhalers how you want them to post by posting and contributing that way yourself. What that does is it sets a visible precedent.

From there, you'll begin to notice other Exhalers contributing in a way that is similar to you (lead by example).

It's important that you are a positive role model for Exhale while defending the community's integrity and rewarding members for positively contributing!

• Love 1
Just now, Jordan Miller said:

I want to avoid this kind of public discussion please. If you have something you would like to talk about in private, please feel free to privately message me. 

Here is a section in the new Moderator guides though (so we are all on the same page):

Thanks baby, I'll talk to you in private about this

spacer.png

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Lol 💯. The last topic I made about moderation was back in April and nothing came of it. I am way more prepared this time.

I have created a series of easy-to-digest guides for all new moderators coming on that lay out the basics, including how to use the platform's moderation tools. Moderators will have access to these guides when accepted.

I admire your perseverance and dedication to harbouring a warm and positive community, Jordan. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

THAT said, I feel like it would paint a far more accurate picture if we could all tag users that we wouldn't nominate for the mod position. :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Wait,  I emailed  you my short cv as you posted in the op. Did you get the email?

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block