What Was The Fandom's Response To 'Britney Jean' Upon Release?

It's been almost 9 years since the release of Britney's eighth studio album 'Britney Jean' and as a newer fan, I'm very curious as to what the original response to this album was in the fanbase upon its release.

It appears this album is universally hated by the fandom and I'm wondering when this hate really started. 

Was this album loved upon release? When did people realize Myah Marie was singing a majority of the songs? Did this album become hated after finding out Myah was singing a lot? Did it become hated after 'Glory' was released? Was there any difference in the release of 'Britney Jean' compared to her previous albums? Do the fans think the songs are just bad or is it solely because of Myah Marie, or perhaps a mix of both? Do you think the album deserves its status as "worst album"?

So many questions about this & I'd love to know what really went on during this time. :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

Britney Jean - Wikipedia

I think it was kinda doomed from the start... I think the fanbase was already worn down because of the desert performance, Work *****'s "poor" chart performance, the long wait for the music video, the rumors of how some scenes were left in the cutting room, the whole Perfume music video fiasco, and some people (including myself) were already finding her voice in WB and in the leaks kinda weird, so the album came out in the middle of that. When it first came out people loved it for a week because it was a new release but then all the controversy took over - and also it aged pretty badly with its production and features... it aged worst than Femme Fatale in my opinion and that album is VERY of its time...

• Love 3

Fans were convincing themselves that it was one of her best bodies of work. ‘Britney Jean’ still had decent hype prior to its release however. The lead single was a hit and the general public was hungry for Britney’s reinvention within the EDM market after the success of both ‘Scream & Shout’ and ‘WB’. I remember it was around mid-to-late December of 2013 that I finally got around to listening to the album in full, start to end. Ironic enough, I was road tripping to Vegas and I remember feeling so confused after listening to it because I didn’t understand why fans were hyping it up when the album was nothing but a hot, incomplete and unfinished mess. Everything about it felt off and I believe that once the honeymoon stage of ‘Britney Jean’ was over by 2014, that’s when fans were able to put their bias aside and see the album for what it really was aka a quick cash grab to promote her residency. The album gives me a lot of nostalgia though and makes me reminisce on 2013-14. That was a really special and amazing time. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

• Love 2

Most people don't remember, but Myah's dad went on Twitter to say she sang most, if not all of britneys album. And i remember everyone thinking he was talking about FF.

What a mess...

WB leaked and everyone was underwhelmed. It didn't have enough oomf and it sounded like a kylie Minogue song. Which in turn divided polarized the fans.It sounded weird, but we just kinda shrugged it off, and coined anyone who thought otherwise as crazy lol.

To be fair its easy af to do. Lol. Just compare britney to any pop star, and you'll get a hit thread.

Britney herself while forced, mentioned it being her most personal album yet. Saying she's back, and all that jazz. When really this was a down payment for her dad's plastic surgery. (Botched episode inc.)

The album dropped and everyone was kinda liking it. Then the questions came, who is singing the songs on BJ???

Iirc someone on here had stems that had myah labled,and it was kinda believable when you listen to it.

Chilling with you is a travesty, and if you listen to that song you are banned. Ty

This is just stuff i remember off the top of my head and it's 1am so correct me if I'm wrong, because this is a fun thread. And I gave up on editing lmao.im lazy af

• Love 1

Honestly? Most people actually liked most of the album. I remember when it came out there was a lot of dislike for It Should Be Easy but most of the other EDM/dance tracks on the album were popular. It wasn't until the following year (2014) when the Myah Marie controversy and the glitch in Alien became known that most fans started to hate the album.

• Like 2

People here seemed to love it, and especially Tick Tick Boom, which I couldn’t for the love of god understand because it’s just the blandest song ever.

I thought that it would grow on me and didn’t want to admit it was just not good.

It did not grow on me your at all. After maybe 10 times I stopped listening to the album as a whole. 

I think since 2014 I haven’t listened to any of the songs except for Alien, WB and ISBE (which I love, unpopular opinion I know).

It’s also the only album I don’t know the lyrics by heart to majority of the songs. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block