Do you think Toxic is overrated?

Honestly it’s so iconic that Britney’s greatest hit yet was literally from her FOURTH album not first like most pop stars. MATM, Toxic, Everytime is Britney’s best (and best streaming) 1-2-3 literally ever. Amazing how she did that 2 years after people said that she was over the first time and 3 years before people said she was over again. :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

• Love 2

i personally think that toxic might not necessarily be her best song. and don't get me wrong, it is a great song. but i feel like there's a whole allure to it and this is why it is as popular.

this song is provocative enough, flirty enough, and **** enough, to almost be too much. but it plays at a level that is on the edge of inappropriate. so people are drawn to it because it is somewhat liberating, but not vulgar. and its relatable too. we've all felt that way about someone at some point, and if you haven't you know you eventually will.

musically it is also a perfect formula and combo, so its a song that literately just works at a mathematical / logical level. the music, the daring melody, the sharp cuts, it's a very good song musically.

additionally i personally add that this song is also a bit of a play between her and us. i feel like in many ways she's singing about herself. kinda acknowledging how's she's somewhat addictive and we cant really do much about it. and we kinda like that she is toxic and that we are drawn to her - i get this vibe from the music video, not from the song.

which then brings me to the video. it was $1,000,000.00 at the time for the filming of that video. its among her best work visually - of all time. and it adds SO much to the song that i think when people listen to the song - the video is playing in their minds; which also brings a nostalgia factor of the MTV days and the happy days of our youth.

so yeah. its not just a song. so this is why its so transcendental as a pop phenomenon of the mid 2000s

or maybe im insane.

• Love 4

This is like saying vogue is overrated, Wannabe is overrated, No Scrubs is overrated  

It's not the favorite in the religion of miss spears, but then again there's also this debate on is blackout overrated by the fandom as well 

But if it's in pop culture it did it's thing.

If anything had it been done by Kylie minogue, unlike can't get you out of my head, it would have stayed locally in the UK and Australia, Kylie is right, it's the one that got away, but it was meant for Britney spears, just like Umbrella was meant For Rihanna, Not Britney spears.  

Same thing wuth Telephone, i couldn't see Britney pull that epic ten minute short film off with thar iconic wig of hair made out of a rotary phone.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

This is like saying vogue is overrated, Wannabe is overrated, No Scrubs is overrated

Madonna is overrated. Spice Girls and especially that song are extremely overrated. No Scrubs and TLC not so much. Which highlights OP’s point that Toxic is unfairly Britney’s most recognizable song. Of course it has more to do with the video and everything about it being a single, but she definitely has much better songs, five on ITZ and three more on the bonus track version alone. But Toxic is a standout for obvious reasons, even BOMT, Oops, any of her previous singles can get a little lost in any 90-00s teen pop playlist, but Toxic permanently raised the bar for pop music, and particularly Britney herself. I would say every B song after Toxic until 2013 met that bar. She fell off, but 15 years of slayage is practically a lifetime, and much more than a legacy. 

4 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

No, it’s really that good of a song. It’s a classic, it’s got a great hook, danceable, it has a unique sound thats instantly recognizable and it’s a Fuc king Bop!  :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:   :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

And the straights enjoy it too.. So slay, I guess..  :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:   :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile:

Literally my best friend who likes Korn and slipknot, says toxic is a bop 

I've known hin for a decade, i was like first hard on was to that video.

He's like yeah how did you know. 

A man who's into metal and straight and a sophomore in high school, of course it would be a Britney spears song. 

4 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

No, it’s really that good of a song. It’s a classic, it’s got a great hook, danceable, it has a unique sound thats instantly recognizable and it’s a Fuc king Bop!  :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:   :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

And the straights enjoy it too.. So slay, I guess..  :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:   :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile:

the straights do love some toxic :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block