Will Pop Music & Culture Ever Be Good Again?

1 hour ago, Stefani said:

Y'all act as if pop music is dead even though we've got Olivia working on new material, Dua just released a new single a couple weeks ago, and Taylor's still re-releasing her albums every other month. And Doja's music may as well count as pop at this point too. :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

Sorry but Taylor, Olivia and Gen Z artists don't cut it. 

I completely get you. Pop music and culture used to be so much fun back in the 00s. Having said that, there are a few standpoints I have:

1. I am not 15 anymore. I have a full-time job, studies, and the worries that adulthood brings you. I don't have as much to pay attention to all details of today's pop culture. Therefore, I get nostalgic. I miss the days when everything was easier and the soundtrack to those times is amazing... so I go back to those records and pay less attention to the new ones. 

2. There is a lack of effort from artists to make valuable art. A good album, a stunning music video, and a tour need focus and time to be prepared. Social media has been awesome for promotion, but it's also made many artists quite lazy. Plus, everything is churned out at record speeds and the expectation previously generated is lost. 

3. In connection to the first point, the lack of blatant pop has made me turn my ears to other types and music and diversify my taste. This has been the best part. According to Spotify Stats, pop is still my first love, but the Indie Alternative realm is sitting pretty at #2. I found this type of music absolutely phenomenal... and it never gets overplayed. We grow!

4. Music trends are cyclical. It is my hope that soon, fun pop bangers reemerge. Sad, moody, muffled tunes will be a thing of the past and we will be criticizing newcomers :sipnstare_coffee_mug_tea_sipping_spilling_red:

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

Social media has been awesome for promotion, but it's also made many artists quite lazy. Plus, everything is churned out at record speeds and the expectation previously generated is lost. 

This. In the 80s video was supposed to kill the radio star. But now in the 21st century social media is making everything generic and vapid. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

The only way I can see Pop to ever be good again is Britney free and owning everything about her career and stunning the world with a new eclectic raw vocal album and slaying performances on TV and arenas around the world.

This! Britney doesn't realize her star power because her family, her team everyone around her ******* used her and it pisses me off because now she feels like she's not that powerful in the industry when literally her, Rihanna and Beyonce haven't released a new album since 2016. That says something. 

34 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

I completely get you. Pop music and culture used to be so much fun back in the 00s. Having said that, there are a few standpoints I have:

1. I am not 15 anymore. I have a full-time job, studies, and the worries that adulthood brings you. I don't have as much to pay attention to all details of today's pop culture. Therefore, I get nostalgic. I miss the days when everything was easier and the soundtrack to those times is amazing... so I go back to those records and pay less attention to the new ones. 

2. There is a lack of effort from artists to make valuable art. A good album, a stunning music video, and a tour need focus and time to be prepared. Social media has been awesome for promotion, but it's also made many artists quite lazy. Plus, everything is churned out at record speeds and the expectation previously generated is lost. 

3. In connection to the first point, the lack of blatant pop has made me turn my eyes to other types and music and diversify my taste. This has been the best part. According to Spotify Stats, pop is still my first love, but the Indie Alternative realm is sitting pretty at #2. I found this type of music absolutely phenomenal... and it never gets overplayed. We grow!

4. Music trends are cyclical. It is my hope that soon, fun pop bangers reemerge. Sad, moody, muffled tunes will be a thing of the past and we will be criticizing newcomers :sipnstare_coffee_mug_tea_sipping_spilling_red:

Literally love everything you said. 

Not because your fave is no longer ‘the thing’ pop music and culture are dead, it’s not 2000’s anymore.

I think 2010’s was the most successful era for pop music and culture. Physical / digital sales and radio hits were still a thing, and the rise of social and streaming medias were merging as a more convenient outlet to reach more audiences. 

That’s why hits that have been produced that decade are far more recognizable and memorable because 2010’s is like the link between the traditional and modern coverage of music, which Rihanna, Taylor, Katy, Justin, Ariana, Ed and Maroon have taken advantage of by releasing consecutive hit songs. Notably those artists are one of the most streamed and best selling acts of all time.

I still enjoy today’s music, but feel like most of them are disposable and forgettable, especially those trap / EDM oriented songs.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block