Who had the best debut among these girls?

Pick one  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Britney had the best debut. She outsold everyone else, so that's that.

But Sweet Kisses was a slept on monster album. It was like, take the innocence that the media wanted from Britney, add the voice that Christina thinks she has and you have Jessica Simpson.

Willa Ford, if the labels weren't so bent on trying to reproduce Britney, could have been bigger than she became. Her album is really good too.

• Love 4
  • Like 3

Britney had the best debut of everyone, not just these options

Buuuut I have to admit I listened to Christina's debut album on repeat for a looong time, and even to this day it has less songs I skip than bomt so for longevity and timelessness I'd have to say i liked xtinas album overall better

• Love 1
  • Like 1

If you wanted an anti-Britney, Willa would have been it. And that album hit. I slept on it, thinking it was like all the others trying to be Britney, but she wasn't. She was actually fighting her label against that. On its face, Willa Was Here was a really good album. Would never have the impact Baby one More Time did, but it's still a very good album.

To this day though, I still believe had Jessica been able to get Sweet Kisses out before Baby One More Time or Christina Aguilera, it would have done way better than it did. Those two set the tone for what the pop sound was going to be, and everyone else fell in line, whether they wanted to or not. And that's how we got Irresistible.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

For me

when it comes to popularity, charisma and originality: definitely Britney

vocals for me are tied between Jessica and Christina.

Mandy's although was a good debut, aged poorly out of the 4.

Dont get me wrong, I love the album but there's a reason why she said she'd give refunds to fans who bought it.

An as for the best debut song: Its a tie between BOMT and I Wanna Be Bad.

Both songs did well for introducing the world to Britney and Willa.

• Love 1

You guys are so biased, Britney having the better debut is I agree with myself but you are voting for BOMT as the best debut album among all the ladies? Christina debut album is much better. Mandy and Jessica are okayish. 

You guys say BOMT is better yet slander Soda pop and email my heart :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

If Christina had leaned more into My Reflection than Genie in a Bottle, the landscape may have been able to be more diverse as far as sound. But Genie in a Bottle got pushed more, and with the video, led down a more coquettish avenue for the entire pop scene. Outside of the singles though, Christina Aguilera just sounded pretty meh to me, whereas Sweet Kisses has NO skips. Even Baby One More Time has one skip (Soda Pop). Good singles selection and a few hidden gems still puts it over Christina Aguilera to me.

And I say this having owned all three at one point or other.

I… love Soda Pop and E-Mail My Heart :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover: :messbye_britney_pink_leave_walking_running_bye_goodbye_away:

A couple thoughts:

1. Britney was 15 when she recorded most of BOMT. It was therefore geared for a much younger audience, hence the tracks like Soda Pop. There is a huge difference between ages 15 and 17/18, which is how old she was when promoting the album. I think it was a great idea to update the sound of Crazy for a single release to match her more mature vibe, but still impressive that she had enough good material to still be successfully promoting BOMT singles at age 18. But OIDIA came at just the right time. Still - in terms of music made by a 15 year-old for an audience of her peers, Soda Pop is a bop! (She-bop she-bop!)

2. Christina had some strong singles, but the album is much more uneven for me and much more rooted in R&B vibes from the early and mid-90s. I love that era of R&B, but it wasn’t as revolutionary as BOMT that ushered in a new sound. The recent “Switched on Pop” podcast episode about BOMT and OIDIA does a great job of explaining why Britney was so different.

3. The strength of Christina’s debut era is attributed to the strength of her singles imho. But remember, 2 out of 4 (What a Girl Wants and Come on Over) of her singles were reworked and re-recorded for their single release and were not on her original album. Streaming services today would have you believe that these updated mixes were always on the album, but that’s like Britney plugging in the Stop Remix to BOMT and pretending that was the original version. But if we’re comparing the original albums, these original mixes are not nearly as good as their single versions, which brings the album quality down a bit.

4. Jessica Simpson’s debut is like a good Celine Dion album to me: great voice and fun to listen to, but not exactly revolutionary. I Think I’m in Love with You is still a jam.

5. Mandy’s debut album was cute, but will always be a great example of how labels could try to replicate Britney’s model but still come up short because they undervalue just how important Britney herself was to the recipe.

6. I love I Wanna Be Bad, but Willa’s debut is an odd fit in here. I associate it more with the Oops/Britney era, and it seemed like an experiment in what a Britney era could have looked like if she skipped BOMT and OIDIA and tried for an ITZ persona that was still rooted in early 00s pop. It’s a fun listen, but not super memorable for me.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

Jessica Simpson’s debut is like a good Celine Dion album to me: great voice and fun to listen to, but not exactly revolutionary. I Think I’m in Love with You is still a jam.

I agree with this a lot, and have said in the past, if Jessica had got out ahead of Baby One More Time she would have sold better but wouldn't stop what Britney was going to do. Her voice was soaring on that album and she went toe to toe with Beyonce before anyone thought of Beyonce like that.

1 hour ago, DonMegaX said:

I agree with this a lot, and have said in the past, if Jessica had got out ahead of Baby One More Time she would have sold better but wouldn't stop what Britney was going to do. Her voice was soaring on that album and she went toe to toe with Beyonce before anyone thought of Beyonce like that.

Was it soaring like that because it was her vision or was Tommy Metola trying to market her as the next Mariah? 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block