Who had the best debut among these girls?

Pick one  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get the idea of a "guilty pleasure". If you like something, like it. Own that ****.

2 minutes ago, Onyxgirl17 said:

This is a funny topic to put on a Britney forum. We Britney stans…. So Britney’s gonna win. Lol

I'll die on the hill that is Sweet Kisses was better than Baby One More Time. I even sat down last year and took that Pepsi challenge and was blown away how much better I came away thinking it was.

25 minutes ago, DonMegaX said:

Jessica Simpson was literally everything they wanted Britney to be with the pipes Christina had, but she released third and had the temerity to date Nick Lachey and she was sunk.

Though now, it's hard to say she's not the most successful.

So true. Her dating Nick so early on was not such a good idea when marketing her sadly. (Which they had no idea how to market her in the first place) 

She had the voice but could not do choreography to save her life, which is odd cus I believe she did ballet when she was younger. 

6 hours ago, SJK said:

So true. Her dating Nick so early on was not such a good idea when marketing her sadly. (Which they had no idea how to market her in the first place) 

She had the voice but could not do choreography to save her life, which is odd cus I believe she did ballet when she was younger. 

Ashlee was the ballerina!

On 3/20/2022 at 11:01 PM, LikeTheMoonAndSun said:

who the f is willa?

BOMT, eternal anthem

GIAB, classic ***** pop teen song,

J.S, Iconic performance

M.M, still love the song

go get to know willa RIGHT NOW! "i wanna be bad" is a HUGE hit... her 1st album did had many bops. :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

I got to know her because BAAAACK in the day... i read news like "new singer disses britney in a song"...

and i was like "LET ME SEE WHO IS DISSING MY BRITNEY!!!" :beat_fighting_punching_hitting_angry:

and i actually liked what I found lol :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

• Love 1

com'on... the first question is unnecessary. BOMT is THE greatest debut single obviously.

the second question is valid... and I voted for xtina cause her debut aged better IMO.

brits first album has OBVIOUSLY good hits but its weaker than xtinas... its the truth altho im a britney stan.

willas first album do have some great tunes! (waiting it to bem released on vinyl)

jessicas first album did not hit me. Just like 2 songs of it. :( Her second album is great tho.

mandys first album has some good tracks but its kind childish... i love mandy till today... her second album is AMAAAAZING!!!!

1 hour ago, DonMegaX said:

So you were who Tommy was going for with Irresistible. That album sounded nothing like Jessica.

Exactly!!! by that time I admit I was a bit stuck with Britney sound. Nowadays Im more mature and can appreciate lots of different styles at the same time. 

actually jessica LOOKED A LOT LIKE BRITNEY in the Irresistible video... specificly in this scene below, dont u think?

spacer.png

I do appreciate her third and fourth albums, way more than the first one... those albums are more "jessica"?

as a matter of fact "Be" is one of "my wife and I" songs. 

just love for jessica here! 

To be fair, the only one I criticize as not sounding like her is Irresistible. And I do so because, yes I liked the album, but it was so different from Sweet Kisses. And I bought it off the basis of Sweet Kisses. I believe the quote from her book for that album was "Britney Spears with Janet Jackson abs". Once Irresistible flopped, they stopped trying to mold her into someone she wasn't and she was doing Newlyweds. And she became a big fan of couples because of that show; it made her relatable.

I refuse to say a cross word about Jessica Simpson, she just got dealt a decent hand against someone who had a royal flush.

3 minutes ago, Lex993 said:

Christina debut is far superior to Jessica’s.

How so? No, this is a serious question. I own Christina Aguilera on vinyl and typically end up tuning it out. Meanwhile, I'm blown away when I listen to Sweet Kisses. And this is me being completely objective because what do I gain from lying to myself about what I hear? So I really would like to know what you mean, earnestly.

I don't think Jessica would have set the scene with Sweet Kisses. I think she would have been slotted as teenage Mariah/Whitney/Celine, more of the same, but younger. And she would have sold better than she did with being featured on Dawson's Creek. I don't think anything was going to slow down Britney because what she was doing was so different than anything that was out. Christina could have gone differently, what with Reflection being featured in Mulan, but Genie in a Bottle hit..harder? Better? And kinda put her in contention with Britney, according to the media.

But if everyone were allowed to do their own thing, the pop landscape could have been diverse and not have felt so...manufactured. Britney somehow ended up being a trendsetter of one.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

1. Stripped

2. Oops

I hear more Christina fans (in the Britney vs Christina diaspora) reference Stripped more than her first. And rightly so, Stripped was a monster that went toe to toe with Oops. And I wasn't an either or, I just like dope music and both her like breaking out of the shell that was their debut albums.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

No, you are wrong here, those girls weren’t trying to be Britney like it was a label forced upon them by their record label. It’s actually sucks how that happened because each had such an individual sound. Yes if Jessica came out before that would have set the sound of the music industry in the early 2000s, same with Christina, it was the luck of getting her album out first and that it was successful that set the tone. 

Not really, though I do agree label trying to push things from the other girls but pop world was never about a vocalist a reason why Cyndi didn't work and Madonna did. 

And I live in India and Jessica didn't even used to come on MTV back in those days she was mainly famous in the states even if she came before nothing would've changed. 

Baby video brought things like no other young girl did, a fantastic video with a little girl dancing and leading her peers the song was not just hit in the states it was a insane hit everywhere. 

If any of the girls would've come out before Britney nothing would've happened as nobody was able to gather success like Britney and everyone had a smashing debut at least in the states but it didn't churn out WW like Baby.

Nothing was luck, both christina and britney took their time with their albums and both did find their sound which they loved in that album. I have no clue on jessica as i came to know about her in 2008 or something nor even in my life I have heard a single song of hers on TV here (I am not shading her) I am just telling what was a hit here. 

There is no formula to create a debut song/album a hit nothing would've changed if vice versa would've happened this is a plain wrong concept you are imposing here. Genie was not even a monster hit outside a couple of countries while RCA being the bigger label. 

If luck works like this then why Cyndi didn't become bigger than Madonna or vice versa? There is no definite answer to that and you and I can both think different ways but a small amount of luck is never replaced by the sound which audience connects to. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

I guess what I mean by setting scene for the new decade, as a new Mariah- it would have continued that sound into the new decade

I can't say one way or the other about this because I feel Britney was just undeniable. She was going to make this seismic shift whether first or last. Jessica would have had to really sell well to not get repackaged like she was, and I don't know if Sweet Kisses would have sold THAT well to save her.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block