Who had the best debut among these girls?

Pick one  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

s**….Madonna was selling *virginal image while being ***ual” same with Britney that why they became bigger than their peers. Cyndi wasn’t rolling around on stage singing like a virgin touched for the ver first time and she wasn’t prancing around in a short school outfit girl outfit( a male fantasy/**** trope)…their success was a big part due to straddling the line between good girl and naughty. It’s a trope that’s been done in **** for years. Society eats that **** up but packaged to little girls, so you got the older men lol interested, that cover on Rolling Stone the audience for that mag was not young girls…her label Jew exactly what they were doing, and from a marketing standpoint it was genius but it left her ****ed up. 

I disagree with every single you said there and discrediting women for being bold is something as a women I'm not here for. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jaime Jean said:

*she was child who was exploited period. In BOMT period. The RS cover was just wrong.

An RS cover was wrong and Britney did admitted it after, and these things didn't even made controversy here lmao US isn't the whole world. You have a very conservative thinking I do see women diresecting women I think thats the reason why males always dominate. I would not be discussing these conservative thoughts any more. 

Also her RS cover was never even news here FYI!

• Love 1

That's removing the agency that she had to make those decisions. She's never said any of it made her uncomfortable or she didn't want to do any of it, so I think the child exploitation card is overblown. Nothing about that album or the promotion was untoward for a woman her age. It's not her fault creepy old guys exist.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

but not if you’re a minor, that’s just sick.

This is a good use of words to inflame a point, I'll give you that. But, she was seventeen. At that age, I had been enlisted in the Marine Corps. For a year. And if you look at the cover again, it's nowhere near as lewd or lascivious as you're trying to make it out to be. A bikini would have been more revealing. What made it uneasy was the Teletubby. As a fellow '81 baby, Teletubbies came after our time. It was made a big deal here because they made everything about her a big deal here. Her belly button was the big deal in the music video. And that was her idea as well.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

She was born in 72 people wanted their new popstars young…but this was a bop I completely forgot existed…I remember it doing well but I never knew who sang it-wasn’t it used in a movie or something back then? Also isn’t she considered a one hit wonder? 

I was super young at the time but this song was everywhere. I was still obsessed with Spice Girls at that moment lol 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

This is a bop she was speaking the truth here about the music industry …she should have been much bigger than she was…I loved “I Want To Be Bad” no new generation of popstars was as daring and overtly ***ual and take charge as Willa” when that came out and it’s very easy to see it inspired ITZ and Dirrty. Which both came after.

but u know what? maybe thats what made her not as big... that fact that she already came "dirty and s3xual" when her peers was still playing kinda innocent, kinda sassy, u know?

her second single was pretty cool too AND the break she did in the video was very innovative and unexpected.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

Well my opinion is we shouldn’t send children to war. In both cases the decision making part of the brain (frontal cortex) isn’t fully developed until 25, I think 18 is too young to go to war but you’re are technically an adult then, but still sending teenagers to war is wrong in my book. Never said she was stupid, just too young to be making those decisions and that she didn’t have a good support system, people took advantage of her and exploited her, none of that is her fault, she was the minor everyone around her who were supposed to protect her failed her. 

Your book is stifling. Let young adults make informed decisions and stop calling them children, you do them a disservice.

• Love 1

I like Willa Ford, but her album really only had 3 memorable songs for me... I Wanna Be Bad, Did Ya Understand That and Prince Charming. 

Mandy Moore's debut So Real is also not very memorable, I thought she did better with her self titled 2001 album. 

Sweet Kisses is IMO Jessica's best album and a strong debut overall. 

Christina's debut and BOMT are clearly pop classics. 

• Love 1
On 3/23/2022 at 12:30 PM, DonMegaX said:

How so? No, this is a serious question. I own Christina Aguilera on vinyl and typically end up tuning it out. Meanwhile, I'm blown away when I listen to Sweet Kisses. And this is me being completely objective because what do I gain from lying to myself about what I hear? So I really would like to know what you mean, earnestly.

Sweet kisses is horrible and the critics and fans alike agreed. Christina Aguilera is just a far superior album, vocally, production-wise and sonically. No one and I mean no one thinks of Sweet Kisses and says what a ground breaking or forward thinking debut. And I say this because you either have huge debuts or you have critically acclaimed debuts and sweet kisses is neither. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lex993 said:

No one and I mean no one thinks of Sweet Kisses and says what a ground breaking or forward thinking debut.

Christina Aguilera is BORING outside of it's singles. No Christina fan brings it up upon speaking about it; it's always Stripped. Jessica Simpson just...won't sound like either of them either.  Critics tried to criticize Britney's efforts for years and she outsold EVERYONE. So saying critics is...there was a lot of misogyny going on back then. 

Jessica Simpson wasn't trying to be groundbreaking. What does that even mean? Whitney Houston wasn't groundbreaking. Mariah Carey wasn't groundbreaking. Celine Dion wasn't groundbreaking. Why do I bring those three up? Because Jessica, of the first three, was the closest to sound like them. She outsings Beyonce on Woman in Me.

She was on the Dawson's Creek soundtrack, shining. That should have been her circuit; Sweet Kisses should have played beautifully to that crowd. Only one problem:  She was dating Nick. And girls HATED that. With a fiery passion. Because who was this girl, claiming to be a virgin, dating Nick Lachey. She bit into their fantasies and she sold less.

You're trying to attribute to sound what was simply...not mismarketing, but mismarketing nonetheless.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block