In 2008, Britney was supposed to re-release Blackout instead of releasing a new album (Circus). What do you think of this idea and how should they have implemented it?

If Blackout was going to be rereleased then I think maybe about five new songs could have been included. It would have been nice to see some of the unreleased songs that leaked appear in more mastered forms, as well as maybe some new songs. I could maybe see another single or two being released from the album, and POSSIBLY a tour in 2009.

The only reason why the rerelease didn't happen is because Britney ended up recording enough material for a new album (Circus, which was musically a departure from Blackout) and because Jive also wanted to move on from the Blackout era. 

From the Circus songs I can only see maybe Kill the Lights, Blur and Mannequin possibly fitting on Blackout. Womanizer was apparently demoed in 2007 although I could only see it on Blackout if it had a harder, darker electronic sound with urban influences.

In the end it is what it is, Circus is a very different album from Blackout though and I'm grateful with what we got as Circus is still a decent body of work.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, BoyDeChanel said:

I agree about Good Girl Gone Bad being a standard for re-releases at the time, but Blackout was supposed to have 4 new tracks + remixes.

Possible contenders were probably:

- Out from Under (demo by Joana Paciti was released in late 2007 on a Bratz OST, songwriter confirmed the demo was always meant for Britney)

- Mad Love (songwriter confirmed it was recorded in 2006 and considered for Circus)

- Kill the Lights

- Blur

- Trouble (shares same songwrites with Radar)

- Phonography (shares same songwriters with Radar)

- Womanizer

Weren't Womanizer and Trouble recorded way later as it she is shown recording them in Britney: For the Record ?

I personally believe those 4 tracks were probably songs that nearly made the tracklist such as Kiss Me All Over and State of Grace

49 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

I remember speculation about a Blackout re-release, but I don't know that that was ever confirmed beyond being a rumor. 

Apparently someone at Sony BMG confirmed the album was supposed to be rereleased so I think it may have been more than just rumours. I could try and find a source.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

Weren't Womanizer and Trouble recorded way later as it she is shown recording them in Britney: For the Record ?

I personally believe those 4 tracks were probably songs that nearly made the tracklist such as Kiss Me All Over and State of Grace

Yes, Womanizer and Trouble were recorded in Summer 2008. Blackout re-release was planned for June 2008, then postoped to late 2008, before being cancelled altogether.

I think at least one of those 4 songs was a newly recorded song.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
On 3/2/2022 at 12:31 PM, BoyDeChanel said:

I agree about Good Girl Gone Bad being a standard for re-releases at the time, but Blackout was supposed to have 4 new tracks + remixes.

Possible contenders were probably:

- Out from Under (demo by Joana Paciti was released in late 2007 on a Bratz OST, songwriter confirmed the demo was always meant for Britney)

- Mad Love (songwriter confirmed it was recorded in 2006 and considered for Circus)

- Kill the Lights

- Blur

- Trouble (shares same songwrites with Radar)

- Phonography (shares same songwriters with Radar)

- Womanizer

Mad Love was an outtake forom2001 self titled. The producer remembered wrong becasue he also said “Sacred” was recorded in 2006 as well even though there’s reports of it from 2001-2003 

• Love 1

Anyways I’m bumping this thread again cuz I feel like it 

so I think the re-release would’ve been a good idea just to create hype for the new era / her second comeback, they didn’t even need to promote it much tbh

so here’s my plan

another user here had the idea of releasing radar with an animated music video as well, as the continuation of break the ice and that’s honestly genius. So the animated music video gets released and hopefully the song would’ve gotten a chance on the charts 

Then around may it’s announced on her website that blackout re release will come out in august. I think this would’ve been a better date becasue June was too soon, but any later than august it would’ve gotten in the way of B6 era (circus) 

Then in July, the track list and cover is announced and it’s the blue dress version of the cover where she’s facing the side, and it’s a similar background to the original cover but it’s more cool toned. (There are a lot of fan made versions out there with the same concept so just visualize that) 

Here’s my ideal track list

Radar 

Outta This World 

Love 2 Love U  

Pull Out 

Hooked 

State Of Grace 

Baby Boy 

Let Go

In my opinion these are the best outtakes from Blackout (that we’ve heard) and honestly I can see why they weren’t on the original album because most of them didn’t quite fit perfectly with the albums sound. Radar is the first track to get people to listen to the current single. I also think this would be great becasue it would be a perfect way for Let Go and State of Grace to be officially released (imo they’re some of Britney’s best work ever) 

Then after a month womanizer is released and then Circus era kicks off 

only thing I would change about the circus era is push album release back to January 2009. Give Out from Under a music video (it would’ve charted better than Amy idc what anyone including Britney has to say) also change the track list a lot

and have more Blackout and Circus songs performed on circus tour. We really didn’t need a Bollywood performance of MATM or another lipped version of everytime (unusual you should’ve been performed there instead) 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MonaLisasDoll said:

Mad Love was an outtake forom2001 self titled. The producer remembered wrong becasue he also said “Sacred” was recorded in 2006 as well even though there’s reports of it from 2001-2003 

No, you are confusing 2 different producers. Guy Chambers was the one who produced and mentioned Sacred and Strangest Love (both probably from 2002-2004)

Mad Love was produced by Alex Greggs, it was written in 2004 and recorded in 2006, the producer specifically said it was considered for Circus

• Like 1
On 3/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, jonloch1 said:

does anyone know what time it was where Britney was? was it really late at night or early in the morning?? TBH I always thought it was because she was so drugged up on her meds at that time she didnt even know what the hell she was doing most of the time 

I think at the time Ryan Seacrest's show was on pretty early. I think it ran from 6am-10am PST (Los Angeles time). Listen to it again, she was definitely woken up out of her sleep to do a live interview. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blackingouthenegativity said:

I think at the time Ryan Seacrest's show was on pretty early. I think it ran from 6am-10am PST (Los Angeles time). Listen to it again, she was definitely woken up out of her sleep to do a live interview. 

Right ok, that makes sense why her voice is deeper. I thought it was hèŕ meds but didnt know it was really early in the morning where Britney was 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, BoyDeChanel said:

No, you are confusing 2 different producers. Guy Chambers was the one who produced and mentioned Sacred and Strangest Love (both probably from 2002-2004)

Mad Love was produced by Alex Greggs, it was written in 2004 and recorded in 2006, the producer specifically said it was considered for Circus

Okay I don’t want to sound rude but I really would like to see the proof/source because Mad Love has a very teenypop style that fits perfectly on self-titled and I just have a very hard time believing it was recorded in 2006 in the same era as Radar, Rebellion, Freakshow, 911, etc 

unless it WAS an outtake from self titled but then Brit considered releasing it kind of like how Look Who’s Talkin Now and Sippin On were definitely considered for Blackout 

either that or maybe it’s a different song with the same title as the one that does exist that is floating around 

Idk I just have never heard this thing about Mad Love being from 2006 and for Blackout/Circus because it’s always seen as a “Britney” outtake and it very much sounds like one but I did hear someone else say that producer  did say that on Twitter so idk 

• Love 1
On 3/2/2022 at 7:49 PM, IForgotYouExisted said:

Well she could have recut them to be fair because Sam L had that cd from 07 labelled Womanizer 

12 hours ago, MonaLisasDoll said:

Okay I don’t want to sound rude but I really would like to see the proof/source because Mad Love has a very teenypop style that fits perfectly on self-titled and I just have a very hard time believing it was recorded in 2006 in the same era as Radar, Rebellion, Freakshow, 911, etc 

unless it WAS an outtake from self titled but then Brit considered releasing it kind of like how Look Who’s Talkin Now and Sippin On were definitely considered for Blackout 

either that or maybe it’s a different song with the same title as the one that does exist that is floating around 

Idk I just have never heard this thing about Mad Love being from 2006 and for Blackout/Circus because it’s always seen as a “Britney” outtake and it very much sounds like one but I did hear someone else say that producer  did say that on Twitter so idk 

He said she started recording it and it wasn’t finished until 2006 it has no era he literally said that it was just made for fun when they got working on it but it possibly was later submitted for an album it’s technically blackout since it was finished 2006 but tbh nobody is wrong since it took years to complete 

• Love 1

I don’t think there was any plan for a Blackout re-release or for Circus before the conservatorship. Blackout was only released at the end of October 2007, and then the January and February of 2008 was when Britney was getting 5150’d and then got put in the conservatorship.

From what we know, it appears it was Jamie’s idea to force this comeback media blitz on Britney, and we first know about this happening when she was filming How I Met Your Mother (her appearance on the show as announced in March 2008). So it’s my guess is that that entire Circus era was all forced by Jamie  and team con. I don’t think you can really plan a “comeback” by reusing/extending the same era/album that was supposed to be her “breakdown” era.

I don’t think Britney would’ve already been thinking about re-releasing an album or releasing a new one within 3-4 months of releasing her last one, especially with the turmoil in her personal life. Break the Ice was technically released as a single while she was in the conservatorship (March), and Womanizer was only released 6 months later (September).

Blackout I don't think would've worked as a re-release comeback because for one it was still too fresh to be re-released, and I feel blackout really encapsulates the chaos and turmoil that was Britneys life at the time. They were trying to reinvent her image away from that and going the circus route made much more sense for what they were trying to accomplish

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block