Christopher C. Melcher: We have the right to listen to the next Britney Spears hearing, but the court cancelled our access. I discuss the status of the USA TODAY constitutional challenge here.

dfffff

44 minutes ago, Easy There said:

Hearings would be closed for purchase. With or without that one "leaking".

That's not the point of what he is saying.

Cases like this should be public.

Penywise is up to smth

But the other hearing was also public, just not remotely. The judge even hesitated to clear the room when Britney asked for it. The remote program was implemented due to COVID because people were not supposed to attend physically the court, but I think that has been restored now, at least for a limited amount of people. If it wasn't for COVID we wouldn't even have had Britney's testimony. So who knows what's the technicality from the government's side about how much right does the public have to know about every case, otherwise, every hearing would've been televised or broadcasted since the beginning of time by default. 

I'm not saying I don't wanna hear what happens, especially with Britney's case. If every proceeding is correct, no one should be hiding anything. And what the lawyer says does make sense, what's the difference between attending live or hearing a recording? So hopefully something good comes from it.

But my point is this remote program was something that was eventually going to shut down, independently of Britney's case because it was temporary. And the truth is the site couldn't even handle it, it crashed right away, and most of the people listening did it through the direct streaming service which I guess was not supposed to be the correct procedure. And have they waited with the leaks, at least until the hearing was over, we could've at least avoided the judge's "overreaction".

Besides this was not the only thing, the judge was also pissed at the documents that were obtained by the NYT. So it's not only about the transparency, but the fact that her rulings are not being respected. And I know we're all like "who cares about her rulings with all the injustice happening to Britney" but in the end of the day, we're not helping Britney by pissing the judge. Which is something this same lawyer touched on during the topic of removing Penny, because if it doesn't proceed, then you just earn an enemy on her for trying to get rid of her.