Spotify had no intention on paying artists, that's not why the platform was created

A former Spotify executive slammed Taylor swift on her whole I want my money back in 2014, saying I doubt she cares about making 0.0001 per stream, Artists make 1 dollar even off of 250 streams. 

Spotify wasn't created with the intention of paying any artists, songwriters or record labels (Taylor swift unfortunately changed that when the industry realized nobody was making money like they did in the pure sales days, an artist could easily make 58 Million alone when they sold 10 Million albums in the US thanks to pricing and percentage royalties off of songwriting credits, these days they can make 250 Million to 300 Million depending on if their tour was a huge success and sold out every market they went to)..

Spotify was only created with the intention of legally distributing music for free of charges as a way to combat music piracy and it basically ended Piracy as streaming forced all Music industry to understand that the internet is never going away, no matter what artists or CEOs think, it's only going to get bigger each year. 

@Jordan Miller

@PokemonSpears

@Blackout2006

• Like 1

that's why I've always said streaming platforms should come from the actual record labels or the artists themselves, and if they're gonna have sponsors they should be the ones receiving the paying directly, or they should put their own conditions, like, how much people should pay if at all to stream a particular song or album.

But the internet took a different path.

I personally live in the past, and I don't use any streaming platform, besides YouTube, because that's what I grew up with, but the songs I like, I have them literally on my phone card and that's what I listen to when I go out to not drain my data.

I think it's kind of ironic to say Spotify was made to end piracy, I don't know the full context of the conversation, and I don't know if the initial idea included paying the record label or the artists some kind of fee in order to play their catalogues in their platforms, like a one time payment, and then just forever have the songs in their platform for the platform to keep making money off of it. Because then that's not any different than someone buying an album once, then making millions of copies of it to sell pirate records, or to just share the file on the internet through a website that makes them money somehow.

• Love 1

Artists don’t make money only from songs streaming. Huge streaming numbers lead to exposure and the exposure brings in the sponsors. I guess it’s a win win situation. Therefore, artists with a huge following sign different deals with the streaming platforms, e.g. Nicki Minaj deal with Apple Music for her QueenRadio. Allegedly, she makes 10$ millions per episode/show. :fran_frog_meme_green:

• Love 1

That exec is a donkey. It's not about millionaires wanting more money. It's about smaller artists getting shafted. :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating: Lily Allen, one of the biggest popstars in UK history, refuses to release #LA5 until the pandemic is over because she makes nothing from streaming and needs touring to break even. Obviously, she's way past her prime, but she's no underground artist either. :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block