Would 'Blackout' be considered a trap-pop album today?

14 hours ago, Dreams said:

Blackout is great but it's not ahead of its time

It was very much relying on the trendy 2006 Timbaland signature sound and Danja was a close friend of Timbaland

Was it though? Timbaland's production relied more on the urban and R'nB side. Whereas, Blackout's production is more dance-pop and EDM. Also, Blackout's production for the most part was not even minimalistic, unlike Timbaland's productions with mainly are carried over a few beats.

29 minutes ago, Dreams said:

Freakshow is good but it took inspiration from the 00s dubstep sound created by artists like Skream, Rusko, Mala, Loefah etc , mostly people from the Tempa Records label

It was nothing new even in 2007 , just because a mainstream popstar stole the 00s dubstep sound doesn't mean she invented it

Mainstream artists always do this, they stole ideas from underground sub-cultures

She didn't steal it tho? Britney is often cited for the reason why dubstep become mainstream (IE- Freakshow and Hold It Against me). Also, its exaggerating to say Britney stole the sound, when she didn't claim it as her and just used the brostep and wobbling effects on Freakshow. Plus, Blackout was actually different in the time it came out. Not in a ray of light manner, but at the time it came out, Rn'B music was basically dominating the scene. So to hear a eurodance, avant-disco, pop album during that atmosphere was pretty refreshing to the ear. There is a reason for why it changed the pop landscape sound after all.

• Love 3
Just now, Blackout2006 said:

Blackout's production for the most part was not even minimalistic, unlike Timbaland's productions with mainly are carried over a few beats.

Ok yes Britney was right to not collab with timbaland after his comments on the breakup/breakdown also for producing Cry Me A River

but let’s not pretend timbaland is simplistic. Aaliyah found him and Missy when she was basically black listed from the industry after the horrible abuse she had to endure with R Kelly. His production WAS (not now) anything but minimalistic. Timbaland was Danja’s mentor. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rick101 said:

Ok yes Britney was right to not collab with timbaland after his comments on the breakup/breakdown also for producing Cry Me A River

but let’s not pretend timbaland is simplistic. Aaliyah found him and Missy when she was basically black listed from the industry after the horrible abuse she had to endure with R Kelly. His production WAS (not now) anything but minimalistic. Timbaland was Danja’s mentor. 

Honestly, I listened to them all and they basically prove my point. The beats aren't complex, the whole songs are carried by a few beats, and it is pretty simplistic. But okay, if we use his biggest hit (Say It Right) as an example, you can see his minimalistic production shine.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:41 PM, OCBoy1985 said:

I agree!

Up until Blackout Britney albums got more R&B/Hip Hop influenced with each release.   It started with The Britney album when she started to get some creative control.

I feel like if Britney were able to do what she wanted musically she would be making R&B/Pop like JT or Justin Bieber.  Britney is probably the only white Pop girl that could get away with doing it too.  With Britney it comes off natural it doesn't come off forced or like she's trying to be cool it seems organic and Britney has a real love for R&B and Hip Hop music too.  I mean most of Britney influences are R&B acts (Prince, Janet, Whitney, Toni Braxton).

I always said Blackout should have been re-released with some new songs instead of releasing a new album so soon after the Breakdown.  Blackout was just too damn good for not enough people to know about it.  Blackout still goes HARD to this day and don't sound dated 14 yrs later ... every song is single worthy!

In The Zone is her best body of work but Blackout is her best album U can play it straight through no fillers at all!

Blackout re-released as a double disc CD with the 1st disc Blackout and the 2nd with Womanizer, Circus, Unusual You, Blur, Kill The Lights, Amnesia, Mannequin, Trouble and Quicksand or Telephone with Beyonce or Gaga.

She also could have gave us the finished versions of Sugarfall, Kiss You and State of Grace on the 2nd disc and also the Break The Ice remix FT Fabolous and Gimme More remix FT Lil' Kim!

Im sorry I think this is a terrible idea…

Why include circus with blackout?

4 hours ago, Britman512 said:

Even though not everyone is agreeing with me in this thread I appreciate this healthy positive discussion we’re having about her music again :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad::tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

I’ll make it negative for u stupid RAT 

4 hours ago, Britman512 said:

Im sorry I think this is a terrible idea…

Why include circus with blackout?

Not U taking a wk to respond when I was the 1st response in here and helped save ya thread from flopping. :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

Anyway how about because The circus album is awful and she didn't have to release an album so soon after The Breakdown? 

A Blackout re-release with some new songs and remixes would have been so much better and it would have gave the GP a chance to discover the album. 

A lot of people didn't even know that she released Blackout in 2007.

I think that would have been better than Circus. :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

24 minutes ago, OCBoy1985 said:

Not U taking a wk to respond when I was the 1st response in here and helped save ya thread from flopping. :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

Anyway how about because The circus album is awful and she didn't have to release an album so soon after The Breakdown? 

A Blackout re-release with some new songs and remixes would have been so much better and it would have gave the GP a chance to discover the album. 

A lot of people didn't even know that she released Blackout in 2007.

I think that would have been better than Circus. :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

sorry I’m a busy girl honey :gagacrash_driving_run_hit_lady_sunglasses:

I actually like circus for several reasons and think it’s a great record!

for one circus is like blackouts friendlier twin sister, a very similar story to blackout, to me circus is like blackout part 2 and closed a chapter in her life…at least in the media

I also love the songs for her sons she made on circus (I forgot the name lol) she sounds so raw, not sure why that song  is trashed on.

Also Lace and Leather is Freak show more classy older sister lol

32 minutes ago, Britman512 said:

sorry I’m a busy girl honey :gagacrash_driving_run_hit_lady_sunglasses:

I actually like circus for several reasons and think it’s a great record!

for one circus is like blackouts friendlier twin sister, a very similar story to blackout, to me circus is like blackout part 2 and closed a chapter in her life…at least in the media

I also love the songs for her sons she made on circus (I forgot the name lol) she sounds so raw, not sure why that song  is trashed on.

Also Lace and Leather is Freak show more classy older sister lol

So if U feel like Circus could be Blackout sister then what would be wrong with Blackout being re-released as a double disc with some of Circus best songs in addition to the remixes (GM FT Lil' Kim & BTI FT Fab) & Blackout unreleased tracks too?

I feel like that could have been EPIC.  I mean if Britney was Britney during Blackout man that album would have been HUGE & could have had 5/6 singles EASILY & would have had lasted a long time if her dumb label didn't stop pushing singles after the 4th one.  It could have been really great for her if she was able to really promote it!  Just imagine Britney prime Britney performing Toy Soldier, BTI, Perfect Lover, Get Back, GM & Get Naked? 🤦🏽‍♂️

A re-release would have gave people besides the fans discover the album!

It's some songs that I like from Circus however as a whole it's one of my least favorite Britney album and coming off the heels of an epic album like Blackout just a yr ago makes it even more lackluster for me.  Songs like Rock Me In, Mmm Papi, Out From Under, My Baby, Phonography and Shattered Glass ( Which I adore) could have been left on the cutting room floor.  I'll never understand why those awful songs made the cut but not Trouble, Quicksand, Amnesia & Telephone.  She or her team could have easily gotten Beyonce, Rihanna or Gaga to do the song with her and it would have easily SMASHED!

Sorry for the long tangent. 😭😂😭

Britney team is so incompetent they have dropped the ball so many times it's ridiculous smh.

5 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

So if U feel like Circus could be Blackout sister then what would be wrong with Blackout being re-released as a double disc with some of Circus best songs in addition to the remixes (GM FT Lil' Kim & BTI FT Fab) & Blackout unreleased tracks too?

I feel like that could have been EPIC.  I mean if Britney was Britney during Blackout man that album would have been HUGE & could have had 5/6 singles EASILY & would have had lasted a long time if her dumb label didn't stop pushing singles after the 4th one.  It could have been really great for her if she was able to really promote it!  Just imagine Britney prime Britney performing Toy Soldier, BTI, Perfect Lover, Get Back, GM & Get Naked? 🤦🏽‍♂️

A re-release would have gave people besides the fans discover the album!

It's some songs that I like from Circus however as a whole it's one of my least favorite Britney album and coming off the heels of an epic album like Blackout just a yr ago makes it even more lackluster for me.  Songs like Rock Me In, Mmm Papi, Out From Under, My Baby, Phonography and Shattered Glass ( Which I adore) could have been left on the cutting room floor.  I'll never understand why those awful songs made the cut but not Trouble, Quicksand, Amnesia & Telephone.  She or her team could have easily gotten Beyonce, Rihanna or Gaga to do the song with her and it would have easily SMASHED!

Sorry for the long tangent. 😭😂😭

Britney team is so incompetent they have dropped the ball so many times it's ridiculous smh.

Older sister sweety as in a completely different person who stands on her own….

Why would she want to be paired up with her younger wild sister.

maybe circus came out too soon but it should always be it’s own album… circus was an ERA Darling :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave: 

There's absolutely nothing "trap" about Blackout IMO. It has some urban influence to it obviously mostly because of Danja's production on like half the songs, but there's nothing on it that sounds like trap and I'm just going to pretend that y'all aren't implying that black producers automatically = trap music.