Britney was rigged at the VMA's 2004

6 minutes ago, TakeYourHand said:

I’m a little lost with your point? I do stand behind what I said and I believe Britney’s team contacted MTV or vice versa that year and did so for ratings. FF era was Britney at another commercial high after the anticipation of the the Circus era. Behind the scenes her team knew she wasn’t focused on her career 100% hence BJ and Vegas right after. Her team most likely wanted her to be honored or even MTV at that point. You guys forget that that world doesn’t keep up with every award Britney’s received. They do know her as an icon and especially with MTV so after her breakdown, comeback, and follow up era it made sense for ratings alone. Good for the networks ratings and great for Britney’s public image. Win win. 

I have to agree. Regardless, overall MTV always profit from Britney, period... regardless the rig or whatever, thats what they did in 2011. yeah lets give this artist of the millennium cuz we failed to give you awards since 2000's until 2008 lol. its obvious.

problem is the timming, in 2011 when she received this award she was already OFF with everything due to cship.

2 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

I have to agree.

Fans get lost in personal feelings and forget that showbiz is literally just that. A business. I feel that’s half of the problem over the years and not just the conservatorship as she started rebelling years before it was even put into place. It’s a nasty and hard place to work for. Money talks. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TakeYourHand said:

Fans get lost in personal feelings and forget that showbiz is literally just that. A business. I feel that’s half of the problem over the years and not just the conservatorship as she started rebelling years before it was even put into place. It’s a nasty and hard place to work for. Money talks. 

maybe that explains why she was so off since 2007, like **** it. but yup, we know.

7 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

I have to agree. Regardless, overall MTV always profit from Britney, period... regardless the rig or whatever, thats what they did in 2011. yeah lets give this artist of the millennium cuz we failed to give you awards since 2000's until 2008 lol. its obvious.

problem is the timming, in 2011 when she received this award she was already OFF with everything due to cship.

I mean I’m a major fan of Britney but as an artist she’ll never be respected until she sings live and writes more. She’s really an entertainer and singer but even the singing aspect was never respected because of her baby voice. It’s no offense. No one can deny her dancing and performance art earlier in her career. She was MJ level in that regard. Her music was also catchy but when you look at the person from an artist point of view I can understand why she didn’t always win. And honestly again, it’s selfish that they used her anyways for ratings but didn’t respect her work. That’s bull lol. I can understand not awarding artistry and lip syncing however you can’t use that same person for ratings. BUT! As I always say, awards are never remembered. They don’t matter. Songs and performances (of her level) will always be remembered. She’s an icon. Lucky never won a VMA or went number 1, but everyone remembers it. Random example lol. My point is that numbers and awards don’t matter as much as people think they do. Impact does. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

maybe that explains why she was so off since 2007, like **** it. but yup, we know.

Britney wanted her voice to be heard and after years of being silenced and personal issues AND media attacks resulting in the ignorant world turning on her she crashed. I’m watching the new season of the Selena series on Netflix at the moment and at one point her father made her leave the man she fell in love with. What did she do? She married him at the courthouse in private. It’s also parallel to Britney because when her father separated her from her future husband for months she struggled on stage because she wasn’t personally happy aka FFney and a lot of Britney’s career over the past decade. It’s nearly impossible to shine on in the spotlight when you’re unhappy yet they’ve made her work. Vegas was a meet in the middle type of thing and even after that it took almost two years and a revamp until she looked happier again aka 2015/2016.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

They could've done that with Beyonce, Christina, Pink or an artist who had won more awards at the VMAs.

She didn't perform, of course because she didn't want to, and also because it's actually dumb that the person that's getting a recognition or tribute performs themselves. It's usually someone else the one that pays homage. That trend didn't start until the next recipients, which were probably more narcissistic than Britney.

Of course I'm not saying it's official, but it's obvious that this was more than a publicity stunt. They could've done it without giving her any award. FF was a commercial success for Britney but by any means she was the top of that year, among all artists in general. It's clear that whoever was in charge of the show that year wanted to retribute Britney in some way, knowing perfectly that by number of awards, she didn't really deserve it, or that other artists with more awards didn't have the same impact and influence as Britney's videography had.

If they didn't think she had any influence or that deserved some sort of recognition, they wouldn't even had considered her for the special award, and they would've just kept milking her image as they've done in recent years

I’d also like to add that performing after being honored did not start after this award lol. Many artists honored their wins by performing way before that. I would personally do the same as a reminder and thank you for the recognition. That award is young but very respectful and normally I’d say no matter what award big or small, validation is the ultimate respect, however that’s like a lifetime achievement award and deserved a performance.