Britney was rigged at the VMA's 2004

final.jpg

Guys i was just crossing the wiki page regarding Toxic, and I read something interesting regarding her nominations on wiki.

If you look at the page it says the following: "It was also nominated for four VMAs at the 2004 awards in the categories of Best Female Video, Best Dance Video, Best Pop Video and Video of the Year, but lost all of them (sources spread internet forums claiming Britney was rigged due to her sudden performance cancellation and non-presence, she was set to win Video Of The Year, Best Female and Best Pop Video)" link

And actually during this time Britney broke her knee, which is something they did not mention, so it was obvious that she would have to cancel the performance. Many people also confirmed that she was also set to perform, that we know. But do you guys have any sources or prints of where this information was leaked? Did anybody from that time took a print shot? @Jordan Miller maybe?

It does not come to a surprise how she lost all her nominations since she wasn't there, but MTV could've handled things differently. I mean she won 3 awards on the VMAs 2008, and for me I still don't think that the Piece Of Me video is way better than Toxic (comparing the artists that she was competing with).

Whats your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, rennen said:

I remember being furious about this at the time and told anyone that would listen. 

Good enough to be the only female nominated for Video of the Year but not good enough to win Best Female Video. Make it make sense. 

it does not. im just surprised how nobody talks about this, this is outrageous lol. vmas/mtv clearly were on something on ******* Britney.... even if you look for the history of nominations etc, you can tell how she was always ****ed. Yet, she was THE VMAS with performances... just rigged with awards, **** this.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Stifler's Mom said:

it does not. im just surprised how nobody talks about this, this is outrageous lol. vmas/mtv clearly were on something on ******* Britney.... even if you look for the history of nominations etc, you can tell how she was always ****ed. Yet, she was THE VMAS with performances... just rigged with awards, **** this.

as I've said before, I think their way to "apologize" was by giving her the Video Vanguard Award in 2011. I've always seen it as a retroactive award of sorts.

If you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense that she was the first artist of her generation to receive the award, when other artists had won more moonmen than Britney.

It was also a way of saying "thank you, and goodbye" because after that she would never get even a nomination for best pop or best female ever again, or best collaboration or something, not even Scream & Shout, or Work *****, or Slumber Party. Even Pretty Girls could've been nominated for best collaboration in 2015, just out of courtesy, if they were gonna bring her to present an award. It's not like their nominations or winners make any sense anyways, or they're based on quality and such.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

This may sound cynical, but I think Toxic didn't win because she wasn't going to be there and there was nothing major for Britney to promote. Though, if she was going to win any moonman ever, pre 2008, Toxic had the strongest case. 

On a side note, does anyone remember a rumor that the newly engaged Britney would be married at the VMAs? I watched the whole show, waiting for her and Kevin to come out and be united in holy matrimony, live on stage.

They were playing their relationship up for the media at the time, so it really would have been plausible, even if it wasn't a real union. That would have been a hoot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HIM said:

Sucks she hurt her knee I bet damn sure they wanted Britney’s ratings since the previous year was so controversial and talked about for months :gelis_britney_candies_flirting_sexy:

if you ask me, the only one that was knee injured was MTV do to her like that. We're talking about Toxic, rigged, just cause she wasn't present... at least do a video call or something, maybe its too much in 2004.

3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

as I've said before, I think their way to "apologize" was by giving her the Video Vanguard Award in 2011. I've always seen it as a retroactive award of sorts.

If you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense that she was the first artist of her generation to receive the award, when other artists had won more moonmen than Britney.

It was also a way of saying "thank you, and goodbye" because after that she would never get even a nomination for best pop or best female ever again, or best collaboration or something, not even Scream & Shout, or Work *****, or Slumber Party. Even Pretty Girls could've been nominated for best collaboration in 2015, just out of courtesy, if they were gonna bring her to present an award. It's not like their nominations or winners make any sense anyways, or they're based on quality and such.

u are right. and that makes so much sense if you think about it. 

problem is , britney during that time was already in CSHIP and she was already in ****THIS mood. which is femme fatale era, she was off with it. 

but either way, ur very accurate... this was an apology some sort of. and maybe we didnt click. idk.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

It wasn’t their way of apologizing lol. Britney was at another prime commercially and the conservatorship promised she would show up and accept the award given by the worlds new biggest biggest pop star (Gaga) at the time (hence the kiss reference aka passing of the torch) and they knew it would generate bigger ratings. 
It’s a business and that’s literally all it was about. I’m sure Britney was honored but she had personal issues galore at the time and didn’t even want to perform as every other artists does and would. The timing was trash. MTV doesn’t give a damn about Brit. They were always helpful in her rise but again that worked two ways. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Strongest said:

This may sound cynical, but I think Toxic didn't win because she wasn't going to be there and there was nothing major for Britney to promote. Though, if she was going to win any moonman ever, pre 2008, Toxic had the strongest case. 

On a side note, does anyone remember a rumor that the newly engaged Britney would be married at the VMAs? I watched the whole show, waiting for her and Kevin to come out and be united in holy matrimony, live on stage.

They were playing their relationship up for the media at the time, so it really would have been plausible, even if it wasn't a real union. That would have been a hoot.

Nothing to promote? Outrageous says hi (before she injured her knee)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TakeYourHand said:

It wasn’t their way of apologizing lol. Britney was at another prime commercially and the conservatorship promised she would show up and accept the award given by the worlds new biggest biggest pop star (Gaga) at the time (hence the kiss reference aka passing of the torch) and they knew it would generate bigger ratings. 
It’s a business and that’s literally all it was about. I’m sure Britney was honored but she had personal issues galore at the time and didn’t even want to perform as every other artists does and would. The timing was trash. MTV doesn’t give a damn about Brit. They were always helpful in her rise but again that worked two ways. 

They could've done that with Beyonce, Christina, Pink or an artist who had won more awards at the VMAs.

She didn't perform, of course because she didn't want to, and also because it's actually dumb that the person that's getting a recognition or tribute performs themselves. It's usually someone else the one that pays homage. That trend didn't start until the next recipients, which were probably more narcissistic than Britney.

Of course I'm not saying it's official, but it's obvious that this was more than a publicity stunt. They could've done it without giving her any award. FF was a commercial success for Britney but by any means she was the top of that year, among all artists in general. It's clear that whoever was in charge of the show that year wanted to retribute Britney in some way, knowing perfectly that by number of awards, she didn't really deserve it, or that other artists with more awards didn't have the same impact and influence as Britney's videography had.

If they didn't think she had any influence or that deserved some sort of recognition, they wouldn't even had considered her for the special award, and they would've just kept milking her image as they've done in recent years

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

They could've done that with Beyonce, Christina, Pink or an artist who had won more awards at the VMAs.

She didn't perform, of course because she didn't want to, and also because it's actually dumb that the person that's getting a recognition or tribute performs themselves. It's usually someone else the one that pays homage. That trend didn't start until the next recipients, which were probably more narcissistic than Britney.

Of course I'm not saying it's official, but it's obvious that this was more than a publicity stunt. They could've done it without giving her any award. FF was a commercial success for Britney but by any means she was the top of that year, among all artists in general. It's clear that whoever was in charge of the show that year wanted to retribute Britney in some way, knowing perfectly that by number of awards, she didn't really deserve it, or that other artists with more awards didn't have the same impact and influence as Britney's videography had.

If they didn't think she had any influence or that deserved some sort of recognition, they wouldn't even had considered her for the special award, and they would've just kept milking her image as they've done in recent years

I’m a little lost with your point? I do stand behind what I said and I believe Britney’s team contacted MTV or vice versa that year and did so for ratings. FF era was Britney at another commercial high after the anticipation of the the Circus era. Behind the scenes her team knew she wasn’t focused on her career 100% hence BJ and Vegas right after. Her team most likely wanted her to be honored or even MTV at that point. All it did was add to her icon legacy and help sell Vegas seats a couple years later. You guys forget that world doesn’t keep up with every award Britney’s received. They do know her as an icon and especially with MTV so after her breakdown, comeback, and follow up era it made sense for ratings alone. Good for the networks ratings and great for Britney’s public image. Win win. 

• Like 2