Why does Rihanna have no iconic performances? (opinion)

Rihanna is consistent. Her music sells because it’s good on itself. She does not really need big choreography and tons of dancers to put on a good show. All she need is a microphone.

She has good stage presence without having to dance. She’s like Whitney, give her a mic and she’s gonna entertain you.

I think ‘love on the brain’, ‘***** better have my money’ and the ‘diamond’ from VS show are pretty iconic. Plus ‘S&M’ with Britney. 

• Love 4

Never thought of this but you’re right :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare: She’s relevant in pop culture because of her music, music videos, fashion, and personalify but NOT for any of her performances. People don’t seem to be mind because she makes up for it in other ways :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: I do like the Work performance at the Brit Awards though :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Rih was really the beginning of the 'new popstar' IMO - shes more about being cool and relatable than traditional POP Performances and even Songs. She can take a trend and run with it or create one, but she doesn't really create "pop moments" or iconic performances in the traditional sense.

• Like 5

I like Rihanna’s music a lot, but that’s a fact. 
I feel like she generaly didn’t make big influence on music industry. She’s cool, her music is cool, but that’s it. IMO everything would be pretty much the same without her.
To be clear she was definetly inspiration to lots of people, but I don’t know..

I love Rihanna, but yeah she doesn't have iconic performances...she has iconic videos, though. I mean, I would even argue that other pop contemporaries like Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, etc. don't really have iconic performances, and until recently I don't Beyonce did either (until Beychella, and I'm excluding Super Bowl performances, because who doesn't remember those?)

Not that many pop artists have performances that stand the test of time, and are truly remembered and emulated. Britney is in a unique category in that sense.

But, back to Rihanna, I think her most memorable performances are as follows:

Any live Umbrella performance from 2006-2007 because of the outfits/aesthetics:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.