Why does Rihanna have no iconic performances? (opinion)

On 3/15/2021 at 7:51 AM, Blackout2006 said:

I think both these videos shows why she hasn't got any iconic shows. I mean the first one is a snore and the second one she maybe sings one song in total if you add everything she sings together. The music was well remixed but her performance in total, even though she had great dances and has great songs is meh. 

• Love 1

She has no iconic performances. None of the posted are iconic. Not saying they’re bad but she doesn’t have a Madonna kiss type iconic performance and that’s fact.

I think bc she’s not a great live performer compared to her peers and she’s not particularly “out there” or controversial.

she has edge but never pushed the envelope. Imo 

I agree.  I don't think she has an iconic performance. Let's start to define iconic because some people seem to suggest that because they like X or Y performance, it is iconic. No. Iconic is something that stays in people's minds and can be brought back to them by the mere suggestion of a small representation. Example, snakes and Britney's outfit. That is iconic. The wedding dress in the Like a Virgin VMA Madge's performance.  Rihanna has many good performances. Iconic? Not at all. Why? I think that very few artists are capable of pulling that off. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Bigno said:

I agree.  I don't think she has an iconic performance. Let's start to define iconic because some people seem to suggest that because they like X or Y performance, it is iconic. No. Iconic is something that stays in people's minds and can be brought back to them by the mere suggestion of a small representation. Example, snakes and Britney's outfit. That is iconic. The wedding dress in the Like a Virgin VMA Madge's performance.  Rihanna has many good performances. Iconic? Not at all. Why? I think that very few artists are capable of pulling that off. 

i also think it's something that artists can't control, you never know what's going to stay in people's mind , sometimes it can be a simple outfit, a quote, whatever... it's really unpredictable

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dr34mc0r3 said:

i also think it's something that artists can't control, you never know what's going to stay in people's mind , sometimes it can be a simple outfit, a quote, whatever... it's really unpredictable

I totally agree. For instance, personally, I find the 2000 VMAs Oops performance way more electrifying than the Slave one. And yet, people remember the later much more. Mysteries

• Love 1

the word iconic is thrown around so much! I'm older and every time Britney hit the VMA stage or did a magazine cover it was in every single NEWSPAPER, on every persons tongue...mom, dad, brother, sister, uncle, friend...every news channel...cnn...ET...every gossip rag...it's something I've never seen replicated again. 

Rihanna has a different story and a minority story(we don't talk race a lot but it is a lot harder for minorities). Rihanna defied all the odds. Her ICONIC performance will be coming up out of the islands, becoming a legendary singer/entertainer and DOMINATING with her influence, cosmetics and fashion.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2021 at 7:04 PM, PickleSpears said:

Rihanna is an amazing performer - I've been to 3 of her concerts. She sings live, she has great costumes, is a good dancer. But I guess she never really does anything shocking or note-worthy in her performances. Like all these iconic performances have that one moment - the kiss, the snake, etc. and Rihanna hasn't really had a big gimmick like that. Maybe she feels like she doesn't really need one. The days of gimmicks are kind of gone anyway, aren't they? Like when was the last real iconic performance?

Yes but she seems to be kinda lazy on stage 

gotta give her credit for singing live tho , and I love her voice !

The problem with Rihanna, and boy am I gonna Get raked over the coals for this, is she has NO iconic hits. 

Rihanna has countless number ones because at the time when album sales declined and streaming / singles became the norm, she had a new “album” every year. ‘Good Girl Gone Bad’ was released in 2008, followed by ‘Rated R’ in 2009, ‘LOUD’ in 2010, ‘Talk that Talk’ in 2011, and ‘Unapologetic’ in 2012. It got to the point where Rihanna was so burnt out on touring and making music she straight up started canceling shows, showing up late, or drunk, then stopped making music altogether for 4 years. Don’t get me wrong... ‘LOUD’ is a great album. But ‘ANTI’ in 2016 was perhaps the first time we really started to know who Rihanna was as an artist. Then she just disappeared.

She’ll always go down as one of the greatest hit makers of the 00’s / 10’s, and she road that pop-star on the radio success, straight to the top of the charts. But you can’t call her albums / songs iconic. They didn’t re-define pop music, or set pop culture trends..... they road a wave of success paved by songwriters /  producers of that time.

when I think of iconic, I think of albums like Britney’s ‘Baby One More Time’ or ‘Blackout’, Madonna’s ‘Ray of Light’ or ‘Like a Virgin’, Janet’s ‘Control’, ‘Velvet Rope’, ‘Janet’ or ‘Rhythm Nation’.... Lady Gaga’s ‘The Fame’ or ‘Born This Way’.... even more vocal albums like Mariah Carey’s ‘Butterfly’ or ‘Daydream’, Adele’s ‘21’, or Whitney Houston’s ‘Whitney’. For me Rihanna’s catalogs lacks the iconic looks or choreography most pop stars present, and the vocal power that the best singers present.

5 hours ago, ExXL said:

Yes but she seems to be kinda lazy on stage 

gotta give her credit for singing live tho , and I love her voice !

I do agree with you, she has a "f-ck it" kind of attitude lol and that's part of her appeal, more so lately than in her pop prime. But the performance you posted is supposed to be kinda lazy? Like it's one of her most chill songs. But she's definitely had performances where turned out for. Might not be iconic but still great. This is my fave of hers:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block