Why does Rihanna have no iconic performances? (opinion)

2 hours ago, dr35 said:

The problem with Rihanna, and boy am I gonna Get raked over the coals for this, is she has NO iconic hits. 

Rihanna has countless number ones because at the time when album sales declined and streaming / singles became the norm, she had a new “album” every year. ‘Good Girl Gone Bad’ was released in 2008, followed by ‘Rated R’ in 2009, ‘LOUD’ in 2010, ‘Talk that Talk’ in 2011, and ‘Unapologetic’ in 2012. It got to the point where Rihanna was so burnt out on touring and making music she straight up started canceling shows, showing up late, or drunk, then stopped making music altogether for 4 years. Don’t get me wrong... ‘LOUD’ is a great album. But ‘ANTI’ in 2016 was perhaps the first time we really started to know who Rihanna was as an artist. Then she just disappeared.

She’ll always go down as one of the greatest hit makers of the 00’s / 10’s, and she road that pop-star on the radio success, straight to the top of the charts. But you can’t call her albums / songs iconic. They didn’t re-define pop music, or set pop culture trends..... they road a wave of success paved by songwriters /  producers of that time.

when I think of iconic, I think of albums like Britney’s ‘Baby One More Time’ or ‘Blackout’, Madonna’s ‘Ray of Light’ or ‘Like a Virgin’, Janet’s ‘Control’, ‘Velvet Rope’, ‘Janet’ or ‘Rhythm Nation’.... Lady Gaga’s ‘The Fame’ or ‘Born This Way’.... even more vocal albums like Mariah Carey’s ‘Butterfly’ or ‘Daydream’, Adele’s ‘21’, or Whitney Houston’s ‘Whitney’. For me Rihanna’s catalogs lacks the iconic looks or choreography most pop stars present, and the vocal power that the best singers present.

I'm not the biggest fan of Rihanna but lets not be delulu.

Umbrella, WFL, etc ...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block