Park Bom of 2NE1 Loses Weight and Teases a New Album

BUWYGF

• Super Mods

Omg she looks so good and like old Park Bom from 2011 :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: Gorgeous queen. Apparently her ADD meds made her apetite grow which lead to her weight gain - needless to say that shallow korean media and population slandered her for this. Why are Koreans so OBSESSED with beauty and looks to the point of it being a disorder is beyond me tbh. 

Either way, happy that Bom is healthier, she even says losing weight and eating healthy made her take less meds as well :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping: I can't wait for her comeback, hopefully this time, with a banger not with a ballad.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I've always wondered what happens to all these k-pop groups once they reach a certain age

I'm not like very into the k-pop scene but everything I've seen over the years because of friends and such, it's always young people. Is there any group that remained active after their 30's ? 

The people who were never particularly talented to begin with usually become actors and/or models. The rest usually pursue solo careers. Super Junior, one of the most famous K-Pop boy groups, debuted in 2005, and they're still very active as a group, which is rather rare. SHINee members range from 27 to 31 years old, and they're still active too. But yeah, that's a rarity - most idols who are older than 30 are solo artists.

Uhm Jung Hwa, the Korean Madonna/Kylie is 51, and she's still quite active. She had a huge hit this year:

2013_Blue_Dragon_Film_Awards_Uhm_Jung-hwa2.jpg

BoA (34) is still active in both Japan and Korea. She just released her 10th studio album like a month ago:

120818-sm%EC%BD%98%EC%84%9C%ED%8A%B8%EB%B3%B4%EC%95%84_(cropped).jpg

• Super Mods
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I've always wondered what happens to all these k-pop groups once they reach a certain age

I'm not like very into the k-pop scene but everything I've seen over the years because of friends and such, it's always young people. Is there any group that remained active after their 30's ? 

Girl groups in general extremely rarely (or never even) go into their 30s. They get disbanded forcefully by their labels. Usually, kpop wants to cater to teen audience as thats where most money is, plus, it is teens who tend to obsess over groups. They also play on emotions by causing teens to develop affection and romantic feelings towards group members. This cant be done if the idols are in their 30s or late 20s. Thats why group members usually range from 17 to 25 or 26 at most. 

Due to ***ism, for boybands things are more flexible and they do go into late 20s but also rarely hold on into their 30s. 

As someone already mentioned, talented ones continue with solo careers. Park Bom was the lead vocalist of 2ne1, one of the biggest girl groups of kpop ever. She is very talented and still has a successful career. One of her label mates, however, cant seem to break through at all (her name is Minzy and she was the youngest one, I think she is 24 atm). Park Bom is 36 atm :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: unfortunately kpop is extremely rough and ageist, this is mostly because korean culture obsesses over looks and youth. It is why most plastic surgeries are performed there, but also why they are the most depressed nation in the world and have one of the highest suicide rates. In the last 2 years, a couple of MAJOR idols committed suicide. Idols in kpop definitely have an expiration date and its usually 10 years max, its brutal tbh.

A handful of idols (usually soloists) do make it, and although they are successful, they're never as colossal as groups.

Some successful soloists are: Park Bom and CL (they are both from 2ne1,CL was the leader), Chung Ha, IU, Boa, Lee Hyori, Hyolin etc. Check them out if you wish, they are very talented :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 11:13 PM, BUWYGF said:

Girl groups in general extremely rarely (or never even) go into their 30s. They get disbanded forcefully by their labels. Usually, kpop wants to cater to teen audience as thats where most money is, plus, it is teens who tend to obsess over groups. They also play on emotions by causing teens to develop affection and romantic feelings towards group members. This cant be done if the idols are in their 30s or late 20s. Thats why group members usually range from 17 to 25 or 26 at most. 

Due to ***ism, for boybands things are more flexible and they do go into late 20s but also rarely hold on into their 30s. 

/.../ unfortunately kpop is extremely rough and ageist, this is mostly because korean culture obsesses over looks and youth. It is why most plastic surgeries are performed there, but also why they are the most depressed nation in the world and have one of the highest suicide rates.

This aspect of korean culture is SAD. Like, 95% of K-Pop acts don't appeal to me since I know about this. It's just sad that they get discarded once they reach adulthood. :wontcry_tears_crying_sad: . Also when it comes to the men most boy groups have this off-putting Anime-ish look going on (The thing is called "Flower Boy" in S. Korea) which I don't like that much... I guess it's another example of obsessing over youth/innocence (looking like small cute boys vs rough/rugged/"alpha" men).

Archived