As an American, to be told by a British Music friend "Americans don't understand pop music at all"

Spicechinodiva

2 hours ago, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

No offense but she was one of, if not the most disposable pop act of the 2000s. Nothing about her stood out that wasn't already seen in America where competition is way more stiff. 

Her first songs, yes, but after that hit after hit, she was unstoppable in europe in 2003/2004. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Tje biggest German hit in the US, is literally about the cold war and the end of the world. 

Read the actual English translation to 99 luftballons by NeNA, the most successful German act of all time ..

It's pretty dark,  cos in 1983, West Germany thought there would never be peace at all,  and the country would be destroyed one day. 

She is still around :) 

4 hours ago, Alexanda said:

That's not what i meant, let me put it this way: I don't think Mariahs chart positions worldwide are that impressive, considering the fact, that she is so huge in the US. )

So:  She had like 5 top 10 singles, many flops, 2 number ones (Without You, All I Want For Christmas) 

And i did not want to take the success from the UK away (btw. 1D is not a good example, i mean 1 top 10 song here :) ) but the us-charts are very english (language) based, so you won't see randomly a french singer or spanish singer in the billboardcharts often, that's what i wanted to say. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green: And i don't think they are less talented, but you see it a lot in Europe. 

Well I mean yeah wbk all of this F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.thu

4 hours ago, Alexanda said:

Her first songs, yes, but after that hit after hit, she was unstoppable in europe in 2003/2004. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Unstoppable in Europe, sure, but failed to crossover multiple times, even after re-approaching and revising her work to fit the mold of the US market. F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.thu

There is a reason, clear as day, why she didn't make it in the US. She was disposable, lacked identity and was basically a poor man's Britney and Shakira-hybrid. F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.thu 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:25 PM, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

The US is more diverse and broad when it comes to musical taste and preferences.

No offense but the UK seems like they’re mostly into the same 2 or 3 genres of music, mostly just pop, electro and trance.

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. The UK embraces a very wide variety of genres. Grime is currently riding a big wave, which the likes of Drake jumped on for "More Life".

Trance hasn't been at the forefront of our scene for a very long time.

I just think the way the industry operates in both countries is different, possibly down to culture.

I find the UK will embrace artists from anywhere, whereas the US are perhaps a bit more closed off and self-involved and therefore tougher to break. But there are obviously exceptions to these theories, as there have been plenty of UK acts that have cracked America.

Archived