Will anything happen if Britney doesnt release a new album in 2021?

jonloch1

I know this might be a stupid question and i might be wrong. But isnt the kind of 'cut off point' for an artist [if there is one, thats kind of what im asking] five years. i ask this because the only artist  i can think of that has went beyond 5 years without a new album [she went 12 years with no album between 2001-2013 :o] was Cher but she was touring and doing shows and acting so never stopped working plus she was in her 50s/60s. But the cut off point to me seems to be 5 years as apart from Cher i cant think of any artists going beyond 5 years without releasing a new album.

Maybe im talking rubbish, im just curious now. i feel bad for posting this thread because i know i said a few weeks ago we should stop talking about a new album and i do wanna be clear, this isnt another thread asking what sound/theme or whatever everyone wants B10 to sound like, and also before the #freeBritney obsessed fans pipe up saying 'we dont want Britney to release new music until shes free'. This is NOT about that at all. im just wondering if she doesnt release new album next yearm would anything happen to her contract? 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She supposedly has 3 albums left to fulfill her RCA contract so I have no idea what'll happen, I think that if they want to the label might force an artist to release an album? Not sure. And Xtina went 6 years without releasing an album (and she's signed to RCA as well) and nothing happened 

I understand your concerns while writing this thread. No worries :bwink_britney_pepsi_wink_black_and_white_bw_flirt:But nothing happens if you ask me. I just know she can't sign any contract with another record label without fulfilling the albums. I think nothing will happen even if it takes 1 years or 10 year. All I know is that Godney's return will be amazing. :carpoolney_dance_karaoke_glory_sunglasses_party_raise_roof:

21 minutes ago, bliss said:

She supposedly has 3 albums left to fulfill her RCA contract so I have no idea what'll happen, I think that if they want to the label might force an artist to release an album? Not sure. And Xtina went 6 years without releasing an album (and she's signed to RCA as well) and nothing happened 

Team cship signed that deal not Britney 

20 minutes ago, vertovera said:

I understand your concerns while writing this thread. No worries :bwink_britney_pepsi_wink_black_and_white_bw_flirt:But nothing happens if you ask me. I just know she can't sign any contract with another record label without fulfilling the albums. I think nothing will happen even if it takes 1 years or 10 year. All I know is that Godney's return will be amazing. :carpoolney_dance_karaoke_glory_sunglasses_party_raise_roof:

tbh  it wasnt even a concern. even if she was dropped, she wouldnt have any problem i would have thought getting another album deal. it was just curiosity :qtbrit_britney_2015_smile_happy:

39 minutes ago, bliss said:

aw yeh i forgot Xtina went 6 years. mind you how she still has a record deal i dont know. hasnt her last 3 or 4 albums all flopped completely?

13 minutes ago, jonloch1 said:

aw yeh i forgot Xtina went 6 years. mind you how she still has a record deal i dont know. hasnt her last 3 or 4 albums all flopped completely?

I don't know how long Xtina's contract with RCA is but if it's anything like Britney's with Jive (which was 8 albums) then Liberation was her final album with them

2 hours ago, bliss said:

I don't know how long Xtina's contract with RCA is but if it's anything like Britney's with Jive (which was 8 albums) then Liberation was her final album with them

the final contract of xtina was with lotus?? :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

christina aguilera, christmas album, mi reflejo, stripped, back to basics, bionic, burlesque, bionic (8)

+ 1 copilation album. though i'm just speculating

record deals have always been a great mystery to me. :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: I have studied Britney's discography and without a doubt she signed 12 albums in the early 2000s (8 studio albums and 4 compilations) and now that she renewed it I have no idea how many albums they have traded. She said in an interview "give me two albums and I'll retire" which means that her renewal could have been for 3 more albums (including Glory)

I think the difference between Britney, Xtina and Timberlake (all of them took a long time to release new albuns) is the fact both Xtina and Timberlake never really stopped to release music in general, they always had featurings for other artists and did soundtracks, covers, and stuff like that.

Britney last real single was slumber party, her collabs with Pitbull were scrapped, nada since 2016. This year they pushed the "demand bull****" with Mood Ring, but I think they were just desperate to release anything from Britney.

Next year I believe Britney will have to put at least a random single out. 

57 minutes ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

the final contract of xtina was with lotus?? :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

christina aguilera, christmas album, mi reflejo, stripped, back to basics, bionic, burlesque, bionic (8)

record deals have always been a great mystery to me. :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: I have studied Britney's discography and without a doubt she signed 12 albums in the early 2000s (8 studio albums and 4 compilations) and now that she renewed it I have no idea how many albums they have traded. She said in an interview "give me two albums and I'll retire" which means that her renewal could have been for 3 more albums (including Glory)

Britney didn't have just 1 record deal.

She had at least two (which would be BOMT - ITZ then BO - BJ) or maybe she had more, I don't know, but the record deal that ended with Britney Jean wasn't her first one.

She signed again, and Glory was the first album of the new contract. We don't know for how many or how long, but people speculate it was for 4 more albums.

We don't know the nature of those contracts for sure. As I said on other threads, there are some record deals that are called 360 where the record labels take a percentage of anything the artist does, besides sales. So maybe that's how Christina got away with 6 years without a new album, if the record label was taking its part from her tv gigs and stand alone singles / collaborations.

But if Britney is retiring for the time being, I don't know what's gonna happen to her contract. There must be some clauses. This year they've released the Toxic remix and Mood Ring EP, of course they don't count as albums, but maybe they count as her "being active" this year. Who knows tbh.

• Super Mods

I don't think you need to worry about her but I know she genuinely want to put out more albums. She's that girl that once she's finished with something, she's moving on to the next. I mean the cship case is gonna drag on for a while, I mean team b has been doing a fine job stalling but just like how Blackout was her escape and kept her mind off of her current situations, I hope she's able to do the same thing and they lay off her back and just let her create. 

9 hours ago, bliss said:

Honestly, it seems like RCA are a label which allows legacy or iconic artists the flexibility they need later on in their careers with families and a slower life etc. They’re not good with newer or peaking artists.

RCA is a subsidiary of Sony, so it would make sense to keep legacy artists making profit with just their back catalogue bringing in streaming, sales and royalties and have them do a few shows here and there without worrying about new single or album sales. A respect kinda thing. If I remember rightly JT, Xtina and brit are all on RCA. 

Sony have Arosta, Colombia, RCA and Epic records so if they can just break even on RCA, they can make profit on the other 3. Also, just having the star power of their RCA contracts will allow them many more opportunities as a business.

Due to personal and Health issues, I believe Britney won’t be forced into another album or project. It would be unethical, and I’m assuming against employment law too

7 hours ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

Mi Reflejo doesn't count cause it was released on the BMG Latin label and I'm not sure if Burlesque counts. And Britney signed a 8 studio album contract with Jive which was full filled with Britney Jean, after that in 2014 she resigned with RCA a 4 album contract (the first album on that contract was Glory) so she has 3 albums left with the label, supposedly one of those albums is a compilation album or remix one.

21 minutes ago, Pinky98 said:

Honestly, it seems like RCA are a label which allows legacy or iconic artists the flexibility they need later on in their careers with families and a slower life etc. They’re not good with newer or peaking artists.

RCA is a subsidiary of Sony, so it would make sense to keep legacy artists making profit with just their back catalogue bringing in streaming, sales and royalties and have them do a few shows here and there without worrying about new single or album sales. A respect kinda thing. If I remember rightly JT, Xtina and brit are all on RCA. 

Sony have Arosta, Colombia, RCA and Epic records so if they can just break even on RCA, they can make profit on the other 3. Also, just having the star power of their RCA contracts will allow them many more opportunities as a business.

Due to personal and Health issues, I believe Britney won’t be forced into another album or project. It would be unethical, and I’m assuming against employment law too

RCA does have newer artists like Miley Cyrus, Zayn and Normani but they're known to not promote them properly. But yes I agree on the legacy artists thing, when Britney resigned her contract in 2014 she was given more creative control over her music (hence why we got Glory), by that time RCA knew Britney wasn't a big album seller anymore since Britney Jean had flopped the previous year

9 hours ago, bliss said:

I guees their contracts might not seem to be like that. Just like you said she supposedly has 3 albums left. But Britney is -  just like Xtina, P!nk and JT - a catalogue artist under the same label, meaning that her contract may be that whenever she has new music to release she has to do it with RCA.

But there were some rumors Jamie paid RCA some stuff to shush an album she had to release in 2019, freeing her from 1 of the 3. But it was never confirmed nor mentioned again by anyone else.   

Archived