Do you feel you are represented in Hollywood?

ColdAsFire88

6 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I’m not a biracial woman, but this song represents me 100% :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

I relate to this song of hers:

5 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

In all seriousness, I don’t really pay attention BUT I did love La Casa De Las Flores because my boo Julian is me :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

You can keep Julian I'll take Daddy :)

5 hours ago, princessmimi said:

No not really.

I see Blacks are more represented than Latin people like me.

I wish there were more mexican stars in Hollywood

I feel you understand where I am coming from more. While I understand that Hollywood isn't real...kids don't. It can be detrimental to some folks out there to not see their cultural portraying successful lawyers, engineers or astronauts. I idolized Britney (still do) but I didn't have much in common. As for gay characters...the only one that came close was Michael from Queer as Folk. He's introverted, sassy and nerdy. 

• Like 1
  • Content Curators
2 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I relate to this song of hers:

You can keep Julian I'll take Daddy :)

I feel you understand where I am coming from more. While I understand that Hollywood isn't real...kids don't. It can be detrimental to some folks out there to not see their cultural portraying successful lawyers, engineers or astronauts. I idolized Britney (still do) but I didn't have much in common. As for gay characters...the only one that came close was Michael from Queer as Folk. He's introverted, sassy and nerdy. 

The same way like Katheryn? :katyfrog:

p.s. don't end me please:hugs:

• Haha 2

i think hollywood needs to have more people on the spectrum on tv, right now they try to only show perfect people on almost any show/movie and it doesn't help in deversifying the tv landscape. also there should be more variety in casting regarding disabilities, casting people of color or stop the ageism and cast more people of age.

18 minutes ago, whoisit said:

i think hollywood needs to have more people on the spectrum on tv, right now they try to only show perfect people on almost any show/movie and it doesn't help in deversifying the tv landscape. also there should be more variety in casting regarding disabilities, casting people of color or stop the ageism and cast more people of age.

preach same-*** marriage GIF

I forgot to mention Degrassi in this thread. You helped me remember that :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

As a filipino guy. 0. As a gay filipino guy. Negative 0. 

im actually pretty passionate battling the lack of representation in hollywood.

there is a huge deficit for poc, especially lgbtq poc, and even more so with islander and asian, and eveeeeeen more so with islander and asian lgbtq.

hollywood is extremely white washed and straight washed.

kids need diverse representation and there is none. They need lgbtq representation and there is none for kids. Hollywood has a huge responsibility and they are failing.

this is why we protest. This is why people are angry sometimes. at least me lol.

and a lot of people dont give af or are just low key racist so nothing changes. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

Even in the pic you used for this thread there is practically 0 representation lol,  but good thread to start as opposed to criticizing britneys looks. This forum can be toxic and unhealthy somtimes.

Before you come for me you need to get your facts in line honey :tiffanynod: No need to be catty. Keep it sassy but don’t get nasty bout it. IDK what your personal beef is with me but you continuously downvote me :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: If you don’t agree with my statements casually move it along :flawlessbye_leave_walk_there_i_said_it: My thread was featured and edited with the addition of the picture by a moderator :clicktina:

On 9/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, ColdAsFire88 said:

I recently stumbled upon a show on Netflix called On My Block and it got me to thinking how slow Hollywood has been moving with representation and how far we have come. There seem to be more and more shows on TV/Streaming that are starting to reflect diversity, but most only live for a few seasons then get axed :tiffanycries:

Growing up bi-racial in America was an experience that was slightly confusing. As I grew up I found it hard to identify with some celebs and especially Hollywood. Mariah Carey was one of the first artists that I found I could relate to, but she was woman. Later on in my teens I came out and again found myself asking who I could identify with. At that time we had Will & Grace, so if you were young and gay you either had the broadway theater star Jack or a power hungry lawyer Will to relate to. The only gay show that came close to representing me as a gay man was Queer as Folk, but AGAIN these were all white men and 0 main characters of color. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

We also had talk show hosts Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen, but they are white lesbians. The only other characters that I could slightly identify with were Jack from Dawsons Creek and Willow from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and later the George Lopez show came out but it represented a portion of Mexicanos (I'll touch on that in another thread). Again, these stars were not bi-racial or of color (except George Lopez but not gay)  and most of the gay stars in Hollywood that seemed to get accepted were lesbians :tired: 

Now that we are in the year 2020 and we are spearheading issues like race and diversity in America, I am interested in hearing how many folks feel represented in Hollywood. Do you feel your culture and background are being represented in music, shows or movies? If so, what are they?

I'd also like to hear if this is an issue in your country :janet:

pexels-fauxels-3184398.jpg

As a gay guy who lives in a block out of the city, NO. When I was younger I used to live in a little town, dreaming with a live like the TV series until I arrived to Barcelona, my life was like I dreamed and I was so unhappy. Life is not like movies and shows, movies and shows are designed to make you a part of the system, movies are shows are also marketing and politic campaigns, not every kind of person can be represented in movies and shows because you are unique in this world, society is not like in movies or shows. So keep calm, be yourself and listen to good (mainstream) music...

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block