Do you feel you are represented in Hollywood?

ColdAsFire88

I recently stumbled upon a show on Netflix called On My Block and it got me to thinking how slow Hollywood has been moving with representation and how far we have come. There seem to be more and more shows on TV/Streaming that are starting to reflect diversity, but most only live for a few seasons then get axed :tiffanycries:

Growing up bi-racial in America was an experience that was slightly confusing. As I grew up I found it hard to identify with some celebs and especially Hollywood. Mariah Carey was one of the first artists that I found I could relate to, but she was woman. Later on in my teens I came out and again found myself asking who I could identify with. At that time we had Will & Grace, so if you were young and gay you either had the broadway theater star Jack or a power hungry lawyer Will to relate to. The only gay show that came close to representing me as a gay man was Queer as Folk, but AGAIN these were all white men and 0 main characters of color. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

We also had talk show hosts Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen, but they are white lesbians. The only other characters that I could slightly identify with were Jack from Dawsons Creek and Willow from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and later the George Lopez show came out but it represented a portion of Mexicanos (I'll touch on that in another thread). Again, these stars were not bi-racial or of color (except George Lopez but not gay)  and most of the gay stars in Hollywood that seemed to get accepted were lesbians :tired: 

Now that we are in the year 2020 and we are spearheading issues like race and diversity in America, I am interested in hearing how many folks feel represented in Hollywood. Do you feel your culture and background are being represented in music, shows or movies? If so, what are they?

I'd also like to hear if this is an issue in your country :janet:

pexels-fauxels-3184398.jpg

Edited by Urbanney
🏅 Featured! -Urbanney
  • Love 2

What an awesome thread! :ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

I generally feel represented, since I'm just a white American gay guy. :jl:

I feel there's been a LOT of progress in Hollywood in the last 5 years as far as LGBTQ+ representation. We've gotten Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, and Love, Simon which were all pretty big films that each brought a new gay/bi male perspective. Euphoria, the TV show, has also done a great job representing LGBTQ+ experiences that I hadn't seen represented as much previously. American Horror Story since 2011, and anything else made by Ryan Murphy, has done a good job of pushing the boundaries as well. There are plenty of other examples too.

One thing that I personally wish I could see more of represented is the fluidity of sexuality. I, along with a few of my other LGBTQ+ friends I know, have experienced swings in their sexuality and have found it hard to figure out what they are defined as or see their sexuality change. There should be more representation that "bisexual" doesn't mean that you like both genders equally. Also, I'm not trans, but I do think trans-rights are one of the next biggest hurdles of LGBTQ+ rights, including representation in Hollywood.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

What an awesome thread! :ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

I generally feel represented, since I'm just a white American gay guy. :jl:

I feel there's been a LOT of progress in Hollywood in the last 5 years as far as LGBTQ+ representation. We've gotten Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, and Love, Simon which were all pretty big films that each brought a new gay/bi male perspective. Euphoria, the TV show, has also done a great job representing LGBTQ+ experiences that I hadn't seen represented as much previously. American Horror Story since 2011, and anything else made by Ryan Murphy, has done a good job of pushing the boundaries as well. There are plenty of other examples too.

One thing that I personally wish I could see more of represented is the fluidity of sexuality. I, along with a few of my other LGBTQ+ friends I know, have experienced swings in their sexuality and have found it hard to figure out what they are defined as or see their sexuality change. There should be more representation that "bisexual" doesn't mean that you like both genders equally. Also, I'm not trans, but I do think trans-rights are one of the next biggest hurdles of LGBTQ+ rights, including representation in Hollywood.

You are totes right. Love, Simon reminds me of my first relationship and how it all went down but we had to keep it hush hush bc his parents were bible thumpers. We met at the movies with our “girlfriends” who was a lesbian couple and “watched” the Lizzie McGuire movie 3x’s :lizzie: 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

You are totes right. Love, Simon reminds me of my first relationship and how it all went down but we had to keep it hush hush bc his parents were bible thumpers. We met at the movies with our “girlfriends” who was a lesbian couple and “watched” the Lizzie McGuire movie 3x’s :lizzie: 

Omg what a great memory :unbelievableney_happy_smile_joy_overjoyed_excited_yay: I love that a gay couple and a lesbian couple covered for each other. Slay

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

no AromaticWetIncatern-size_restricted.gif

I really don't feel a need to be represented though. I've talked about in other threads, television shows, movies, etc, to me are just a way of entertainment. I'm personally not looking for a fair or accurate representation of reality. If I wanted that I would just go to the street and interact with real people ( :ugh: )

:haha:

I guess for me it was kind of confusing to not have any idols that I could culturally relate to but I turned out ok in the end :)

As a white guy, yes. As a gay guy, not really because gay representation in Hollywood has always been very iffy (it has always bordered on tokenism and stereotypes that don't always paint us in a good light). I grew up on YouTube, so a lot of the creators on the platform helped me accept myself, but outside of coming out to oneself (which is the most important coming out one must do), I don't really care about representation, tbh. :typing: Though, I do sometimes find myself wanting to consume a sweet gay love story that I can relate to when I'm feeling sappy and there not being that many out there. That's when I resort to gay dramas from Thailand. They can be hella cheesy, unrealistic and overdramatic, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. :nomnom:

• Haha 1
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I guess for me it was kind of confusing to not have any idols that I could culturally relate to but I turned out ok in the end :)

and I'm sure you're not alone in that

to me it's just, if I idolize someone, or if I like a movie, a tv show, a character, I like it for what it is, for the idea they represent, and not for how they relate to my actual life, or myself.

I love Britney Spears, but for starters, I'm not even a woman, nor I think I'll ever find someone like her to be with, but I love her for what she is, for the brand she represented, her music, her ideals, her image, etc. As you said, you grew up without an idol that you could relate to and ended up just fine. I think the last thing we need is for Hollywood to tell us how we should be as people, or how our lives should be according to some stereotype, because the type of entertainment they sell is all fiction, so trying to follow any of that as some sort of role model, I don't think it's a good idea.

Again, when I watch a tv show, a movie, when I play a videogame, the last thing I'm expecting is to find a character or an actor that is similar to me, I'm not expecting to see my real life represented in some story.

Instead, I think it should be more important to be "represented" in other aspects of life, like in the group of CEO's that manage the biggest companies, or other important and more influential positions, like the government, or schools, or I don't know, things that really impact our real lives.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

no AromaticWetIncatern-size_restricted.gif

I really don't feel a need to be represented though. I've talked about in other threads, television shows, movies, etc, to me are just a way of entertainment. I'm personally not looking for a fair or accurate representation of reality. If I wanted that I would just go to the street and interact with real people ( :ugh: )

:haha:

7 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

and I'm sure you're not alone in that

to me it's just, if I idolize someone, or if I like a movie, a tv show, a character, I like it for what it is, for the idea they represent, and not for how they relate to my actual life, or myself.

I love Britney Spears, but for starters, I'm not even a woman, nor I think I'll ever find someone like her to be with, but I love her for what she is, for the brand she represented, her music, her ideals, her image, etc. As you said, you grew up without an idol that you could relate to and ended up just fine. I think the last thing we need is for Hollywood to tell us how we should be as people, or how our lives should be according to some stereotype, because the type of entertainment they sell is all fiction, so trying to follow any of that as some sort of role model, I don't think it's a good idea.

Again, when I watch a tv show, a movie, when I play a videogame, the last thing I'm expecting is to find a character or an actor that is similar to me, I'm not expecting to see my real life represented in some story.

Instead, I think it should be more important to be "represented" in other aspects of life, like in the group of CEO's that manage the biggest companies, or other important and more influential positions, like the government, or schools, or I don't know, things that really impact our real lives.

tenor.gif

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block