Do you feel you are represented in Hollywood?

ColdAsFire88

• Super Mods

I hate to be a negative Nancy but time and time again Asians always get looked over, can you name many Asian actors compared to other races. 

I agree with Viola Davis that in the industry asian makes and black women aren’t considered desirable and in her case unless you look like Halle Berry. 

I mean don’t get me started with Mulan, like let’s have a white person (even if she is female) give us an authentic telling of the story. No, yet again we have this white washing of asian culture and they pick and chose what they deem “asian” enough. 

like Hollywood needs to over throw the old geezers and their set ways because I’m getting annoyed at Hollywood pretending to be “woke” 

I think people do forget that hollywood is a business and if something doesn’t appeal to the general population, it will not sell and therefore is not worth making.

we as an audience need to support diversity if we see it. I personally do not think there are enough main character LGBT people. We are 8% of the millennial population and I feel like underrepresented in film. However, I do acknowledge people are homophobic (both outwardly and subconsciously) which makes that hard to sell. So it’s good if we support shows and movies that represent us.

in general I feel like each minority should be represented roughly around the same amount as they exist in society. If black people make up 15% of the country (Let’s say, Idk if that’s accurate). 15% of characters should be black.

off the top of my head, I feel like Asians are very underrepresented but I do see that changing a little.

I don't mind straight people playing gay roles in films, but considering if Hollywood represents the LGBT community well in big screen is very far from satisfaction.

There are a lot of gay stereotypes and clichès if you'll watch at least one of the LGBT marketed films, like Love, Simon

That's why I am always impressed how most indie films have successfully tackled some of the unexplored corners of being part of this community. No censorships, filters and hidden agendas, just pure societal form of art.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block