Ariana Grande's "thank u, next" Is overrated (opinion)

There's only two types of people in the world: Lyric Heads and Beat Heads.

Your argument is: The record saw commercial success, breaking various streaming records and ranked as one of the biggest album released that year. It also claimed great critic reviews citing it's cohesiveness in production and songwriting. For which in some points, I disagree. thank u, next is widely influenced by trap, hip-hop and r&b genres and in some extent, a subtle touch of pop. And that's what this record's biggest issue. The production of some tracks are too cohesive, making them unadventurous and almost monotonous. 

I respectfully disagree. 

This song showcases musical storytelling at its finest. 

The lyrics do not need any help. This is why this song is amazing. 

I dont agree tho. I mean Thank u, Next was a pretty solid record and comeback, especially after Sweetener (which i like now). I have the CD and its one of the most fun albums in my collection to listen too. Its a beautiful record, with a deep meaning, of moving on! It delivers bops likes Bad Idea, NASA, Bloodline. Relatable ballads like Needy and Ghostin. Overall its an amazing and beautiful experience.

Not to mention how much it revived Pop at a time where it was dead.

• Love 1

Ariana is overrated in general. She has a great voice and she makes some great pop songs but that's about it. She's not a good performer and she seems rude af. I agree that Thank U, Next is def overrated. It was good/cute but nothing more. People make it sound like this classic timeless megahit lol. Video is cute, I'll give her that. I listened to her last two albums and didn't like them other than some of the singles.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, PickleSpears said:

Ariana is overrated in general. She has a great voice and she makes some great pop songs but that's about it. She's not a good performer and she seems rude af. I agree that Thank U, Next is def overrated. It was good/cute but nothing more. People make it sound like this classic timeless megahit lol. Video is cute, I'll give her that. I listened to her last two albums and didn't like them other than some of the singles.

Sure...every artist that is hugely popular and famous is overrated :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever: Ariana co-wrote half of the songs in Thank u, next, has one of the greatest voices of the last decade (she can do WHISTLE notes) and is a ton of talented. The rumors of Ariana being rude are soooo...2014 and 2017? Ariana might flex off her riches but she is a very sweet person, and people who have gone to her meets & greets for her sweetener tour even had a good experience with her. She is a great performer, and a strong proof of that is clearly on her last tour and the Grammy performance. Thank u, next is easily one of the most influential records for the time, reviving pop when no other pop girl was doing it. She was the first artist since the Beatles to have 3 songs dominate the top 3, and not to mention how Thank u, next was so successful. She is farrrr from overrated, when she isn’t. She can sing, she can perform, she can deliver bops, and she can evolve artistically each record.
Funny how this “Ariana is overrated” opinion started coming when she reached her peak era (2019- ) :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I disagree, for me Thank U, Next is a great album that was very current to its time yet didn't come off as trend chasing, the album's cohesive (something Sweetener lacks) and even though it has like 1-2 tracks that I don't really care about, it has some amazing songs (the singles, in my head, imagine, ghostin)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Sure...every artist that is hugely popular and famous is overrated :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever: Ariana co-wrote half of the songs in Thank u, next, has one of the greatest voices of the last decade (she can do WHISTLE notes) and is a ton of talented. The rumors of Ariana being rude are soooo...2014 and 2017? Ariana might flex off her riches but she is a very sweet person, and people who have gone to her meets & greets for her sweetener tour even had a good experience with her. She is a great performer, and a strong proof of that is clearly on her last tour and the Grammy performance. Thank u, next is easily one of the most influential records for the time, reviving pop when no other pop girl was doing it. She was the first artist since the Beatles to have 3 songs dominate the top 3, and not to mention how Thank u, next was so successful. She is farrrr from overrated, when she isn’t. She can sing, she can perform, she can deliver bops, and she can evolve artistically each record.
Funny how this “Ariana is overrated” opinion started coming when she reached her peak era (2019- ) :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

That's my opinion. You can have yours. 

• 3 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block