RIAA gives it mid year update... let's just say it's a bad year for music

According to the RIAA (Recording industry Association of America), only 3 albums released in 2020 went platinum (soon to be 4 when Taylor's folklore gets audited), 4 albums went Gold. Jhene Aiko, Future, Eminem and Changes by Justin Bieber.

Only 11 released songs in 2020 went platinum, however several are gold..

Only one Latin album went double platino, alter ego by Prince Royce.

My question is: does the music suck these days, or is it cause of Covid? 

All the popular acts stopped releasing music til they can tour.

"WAP" is double platinum – the only 2020 song to go multi platinum this year. 

I have noticed several pre-2020 albums for more re-certified like Teenage Dream went 8X platinum, Lady Gaga's old catalog was hugely re-certified.

Is anybody listening to music from today??

I have noticed even on Billboard their Nielsen streaming data gives out very low numbers. Even the king of streaming Drake is failing to get a huge hit.

Thoughts?

riaa.jpg

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I definitely think it's due to COVID. Less music creation, less music videos, no touring... it all plays a factor. People are consuming music that's familiar to them in unfamiliar times. 

I don't know that less music creation is happening. I would argue quite the opposite. However, all the other things you mentioned, including the fact that people's wallets are tighter than normal, all play a factor.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:
According to the RIAA (Recording industry Association of America), only 3 albums released in 2020 went platinum (soon to be 4 when Taylor's folklore gets audited), 4 albums went Gold. Jhene Aiko, Future, Eminem and Changes by Justin Bieber.

Only 11 released songs in 2020 went platinum, however several are gold..

Only one Latin album went double platino, alter ego by Prince Royce.

My question is: does the music suck these days, or is it cause of Covid? 

All the popular acts stopped releasing music til they can tour.

"WAP" is double platinum – the only 2020 song to go multi platinum this year. 

I have noticed several pre-2020 albums for more re-certified like Teenage Dream went 8X platinum, Lady Gaga's old catalog was hugely re-certified.

Is anybody listening to music from today??

I have noticed even on Billboard their Nielsen streaming data gives out very low numbers. Even the king of streaming Drake is failing to get a huge hit.

Thoughts?

riaa.jpg

Shocked. Were Gaga and Chromatica so unsuccessful?

And the certifications for Perry and Gaga were obvl. done to create some buzz for their new albums. (Remeber when Work bicth and everytime were certified just when britney was on piece of me tour)

Definitely COVID-19 pandemic is the cause of it. Many of the albums otherwise would’ve gone platinum, but with lack of promotions in quarantine obviously people are fearing more for their life’s than to go buy a copy an album.

Please note, that all the albums u mentioned that did go platinum were released between January-March...when COVID-19 was still deemed as a virus that would fade away soon. COVID cases wouldn’t reach its peak yet until April. So which album released after April went platinum?

So thus, this proves my point that it’s because of COVID-19 that the music industry is suffering one of its worst years ever since 1979-1980 :oprah:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block