30 years into her career, Shakira is the current record holder of most VEVO certified videos as the main artist

• Content Curators
On 8/24/2020 at 4:43 PM, Tprez said:

Well deserved. I listen to don't bother and antes de las seis on a daily basis. You go girl. 

For you, I'd give up all I own
And move to a communist country
If you came with me, of course
And I'd file my nails so they don't hurt you
And lose those pounds, and learn about football
If it made you stay, but you won't, but you won't
lyricist QUEEN

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

For you, I'd give up all I own
And move to a communist country
If you came with me, of course
And I'd file my nails so they don't hurt you
And lose those pounds, and learn about football
If it made you stay, but you won't, but you won't
lyricist QUEEN

She is so underrated as a songwriter... her lyrics are so clever!!

btw, I don't know why you got a dislike when you just wrote down some lyrics Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

1 minute ago, limezd said:

It’s amazing how you can completely disappear and flop in US and still manage to be one of the top selling/streaming artist world wide based on your fandom outside of US.

Congratulations to Shakira, she deserves it.

and she killed the Super Bowl!

to be fair, she is probably the most global artist! 

• Content Curators
3 minutes ago, limezd said:

It’s amazing how you can completely disappear and flop in US and still manage to be one of the top selling/streaming artist world wide based on your fandom outside of US.

Congratulations to Shakira, she deserves it.

and she killed the Super Bowl!

ya know why

cause the hollywood us scheme is very ******, they usually shut people off after 35 no matter how much u move or look young 

the latin industry doesnt care as much and likes the artist more, which is why her last album (11th)released at 40 sold more than beyonce, taylor swift, arianas, lady gagas albums released at the same time

shes stepped away from the english music scene but i heard shes coming back soon

16 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

ya know why

cause the hollywood us scheme is very ******, they usually shut people off after 35 no matter how much u move or look young 

the latin industry doesnt care as much and likes the artist more, which is why her last album (11th)released at 40 sold more than beyonce, taylor swift, arianas, lady gagas albums released at the same time

shes stepped away from the english music scene but i heard shes coming back soon

Legends never die.

whats the reason Latin artist are dominating youtube tho? Do they have Spotify and Apple Music in Spanish speaking countries? Or is YouTube only available there?

also I don’t mean to sound ignorant. It always amazed me when I look at the view counts for Latin artists.

• Content Curators
14 minutes ago, limezd said:

Legends never die.

whats the reason Latin artist are dominating youtube tho? Do they have Spotify and Apple Music in Spanish speaking countries? Or is YouTube only available there?

also I don’t mean to sound ignorant. It always amazed me when I look at the view counts for Latin artists.

i think its cause music plays a much bigger role in latin countries in general 

and they really respect legendary artists and all 

like im sorry but i dont really see the average 45 year old american citizen to be constantly listening to albums and music and whatever as much anymore

1 hour ago, limezd said:

Legends never die.

as a Latin person myself, I really don't know

besides Shakira, most of the Latin artists that are "killing it" are the so called urban artists or reguetoneros (Maluma, J Balvin, etc), and tbh, most of the most watched videos by Shakira are collaborations with Maluma and similar artists, rather than her more pop/rock songs she was known for in her first records.

I say, good for them, but it's a shame that out of all the things that Latin artists produce, and all the artists that there are, this specific genre was the only one that got global recognition. I don't know where you're from, but believe it or not, we DO have many artists that used to do pop, rock, ballads, electronic music, there are many indie artists that do beautiful things, but everything and everyone has been overshadowed by the urban music since the last decade. Even here in Mexico, all these urban artists which usually come from Colombia, Puerto Rico, Republica Dominicana, etc, are the ones that are streamed the most, even more than our actual Mexican acts.

I think it was like a snowball effect. Here in Latin America, or at least in Mexico, we've always consumed a lot of music from the US, like many countries we follow a lot the trends and standards that the artists from the US set, so usually there's this general conception that the American artists / music is better, it's like the goal to reach. Thus, any artists that manages to make "the crossover", like Shakira, or Ricky Martin, or Enrique Iglesias (none of them Mexican, but they did become famous here in Mexico before jumping to the States) tend to be seen as superior than any "local" artist, that despite starting their career at the same time, or even before any of those, they just never managed to do the crossover. People like Paulina Rubio, Thalia, Fey, and many others, tried and actually released songs or albums in English at some point in their careers, but they just didn't work in the States, so they will always be seen as inferior. Some of them like Thalia, may have been very successful even in places like Europe or some Asian countries like the Philippines, where she's almost seen like a goddess or something, and aaaall the Latin countries, but just because she's not popular in the States, here in Mexico, or Latin America in general, just tend to overlook her and her career.

So all of this leads to my point, where the real question is why did the States pick up reagueton or these urban artists out of aaaaaaaaall of the music that Latin Artists do. I literally can't understand how so many amazing singers and groups that we've had since the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's have been overlooked, but the urban music was the only thing they cared about. So that leads to my snowball effect I talked about, they get recognized by the States, then people here see them as cool or superior, because they're cool in the States, so they start streaming them, requesting them, they become more popular in here, and the States notices them each time a bit more, they become more successful, people in here, new generations keep consuming them, and it's a never ending thing, while, pop, rock, alternative artists that have been here for decades, keep fading into oblivion as reaggeton takes over.

Back in the day, acts like Britney, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Christina Aguilera, Blink 182, Westlife, Avril Lavigne, etc, all of them were very famous in here, and so Latin artists that made similar music to theirs, were popular as well, but as trends started to change, many artists started to take like longer pauses in their careers, when they tried to come back, it was just too late to regain their place. Many of them however, are still huge forces when it comes to concert tickets, but on streaming platforms they're nowhere to be found. While the average pop video will get 10M views at most, and that's if they're lucky, a reaggeton video will get hundreds of millions of views very easily.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block