What qualifies a pop icon? Do you have a list?

*I'm so sure this has been asked before******

So I've always wanted to assemble a list of "pop icons" to expand my music listening and listen to albums (because that's where all the hidden treasures are), but I wanted to learn everyone's definitions/reasonings/lists of who they consider icons. Of course, we have standards such as Britney, Madonna, Mariah, Janet, Whitney, etc., whose careers have proved that they are legendary, but what makes newer pop queens turn from one-hit wonders to frontrunners, or even not a flop not yet a queen? When did Rihanna, Gaga, Katy, Taylor, or even Ariana (I think it's safe to say she is definitely a main girl and has made her mark) become "official" queens??? Is it success or relevancy, because I know some people consider Lana a main girl even though she has maybe three mainstream hits (no shade, she has an impact but I would say her character is more well known than her actual music).

So, do you guys have "lists" of pop queens? Not just the ones you stan, but ones you acknowledge in general? When do you think someone is "crowned"? Criteria? Do even queens who have lost relevancy but were HUGE once upon a time (ex: Paula Abdul and Fergie both had a string of successful #1s back in their prime but soon fizzled out and did not last a decade but their relevancy cannot be denied) be considered queens??

also side note, are we all in agreement that modern "pop" music/culture was born (aka post-disco death) when Madonna, Michael, and MTV showed up or do people have differing opinions?

To be honest, I just want to assemble a catalog of artists to explore and learn pop history :P

CEBA95A3-3E85-4319-A3A1-126BBAF33919.jpeg

Edited by Urbanney
🏅 Featured! -Urbanney
  • Love 1

When I see a Britney video or hear a Britney song... all external noise stops and my focus shifts to that like magnetism... that makes her an icon for me. Its all subjective though so what is iconic for you doesn't have to be iconic for any others. Enjoy your music exploration!!

• Love 1

A pop icon is indescribable, because they created their own lane! They are fearless when it comes to their material, go above an beyond with their artistry and comes off effortlessly. it someone who has that X factor (no pun intended) it’s just hard to describe. Creating your own list of icons goes off preference, especially With what you tend to listen to and the generation people grow up in. Example Cher,  Donna Summer,  Diana Ross and James Brown, I know their pop icons but I wouldn’t included them because I did not grow up listening to them (no shade). This would be my core 10 but if I was to go into R&B it would change, if I went to Pop it would change, County again it would change. 

- Michael 
- Prince
-  Madonna

- Mariah

- Shania

- Janet

- Britney 

- Rihanna

- Usher 

- Beyoncé 

Someone had J.Lo on their list... ugh she wouldn’t even have a career if mariah didn’t have a falling out with Tommy/Sony! 

tumblr_msifhmzM8a1rowo0fo1_500.gif

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Jennifer Lopez better be on that list too.  You don’t get to have an icon list without J-Lo.  Fashion, movies, music videos, her famous dating life, the dancing, her famous feuds, her meteoric rise from humble beginnings.  She’s an icon for sure.

She has to thank Mariah Carey for that, if Mariah and Tommy never had a fallout, Jlo would not have existed and that's just tea Mija :thelook:

• Like 1
Just now, PuertoRicosFinest said:

So by that logic you can thank Tommy for Mariah’s career too.  And just like that, two icons extinguished because there happen to be powerful men behind the scenes.

:wonka:

Tommy was Mariah's Payola, but even after Tommy Mariah still managed to achieve number 1 hit songs and platinum albums unlike jlo who still flops till this day, I love them both tho :bigkiss:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block