What qualifies a pop icon? Do you have a list?

For me for an artist to be a pop icon/legend they have to be a great performer, have a great discography, have iconic music videos and have made an impact in the music industry, for me there are 2 levels tho, icon and legend, Legends: MJ, Madonna, Mariah, Janet, Whitney, Celine, Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Shania, George Michael etc and then the Icons: Britney, Christina, Gaga, Katy, Rihanna, JT, Beyoncé, J.Lo, etc

• Like 1

I think the impact on popular culture, it's significance over time, influence on new generations of artists, power in the industry in all spheres, remembrance and respect of the society as a pop icon. Regardless of grammys, billboard, etc. that's different .. although many icons have their numbers among these recognitions, the most important thing is the his value in the people have about them. Speaking of the last generation of legends for now they would be included:

1. Michael Jackson

2. Madonna

3. Britney Spears.

Someone who could be added to this list would be 4. Taylor Swift.

Beyoncé, Rihanna, Gaga and others have their own thing and have worked very hard in their careers, but they lack that tremendous / super galactic impact that they have had across cultures and that previous artists have today.

1 hour ago, Gayseus911 said:

Tommy was Mariah's Payola, but even after Tommy Mariah still managed to achieve number 1 hit songs and platinum albums unlike jlo who still flops till this day, I love them both tho :bigkiss:

Charts are meaningless now.  I don’t see Mariah still relevant enough to perform at the Super Bowl.  Jlo could never sing, and Mariah can’t anymore either.  The difference is that Jlo is still a viable performer who can dance and put on a show, and Mariah is not.

:prettyney:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block