It seems to me today's music industry doesn't create legends or icons anymore

legends.jpg.3974bc4287a78ca8fbc747db43a7b5f6.jpg

It seems to me the music industry doesn't create legends or superstars like it did in the past. 

Oddly, Billie Eilish might be the only act born this century to actually be a superstar and legend. I really think people don't like music the way we grew up on it. 

Most people are more private and anti-social /would rather work from home. 

It dawned on me... last decades' girl groups were either Little Mix or Fifth Harmony. 

None of them would go down as legends or icons. Maybe Little Mix in the UK, but that's it. 

Hell, even Danity Kane and PCD weren't iconic. USA Today did an article on 20 years after The Spice Girls debuted and the state of girl groups are near extinction.

They dubbed Danity Kane and the PCD as the plastic era and nothing about them spelled legends or reunions needed. 

Case in point: Both Danity Kane and PCD reunited.  

While in the UK and Ireland PCD is sold out but postponed. Word on the street is a US tour is unlikely because the girls are much bigger outside the US. They never got the chance to step outside the opening act in the US. Their biggest tour in the US was opening for Britney Spears but sadly it was also the end of the group as we know it.

For Danity Kane, that group never got the chance and they can only do club dates to where only a few people come, but let's be real... we don't have any act that can be like Janet Jackson , Beyonce,  Madonna or even Mariah Carey. 

Most of today's acts seems to not wanna dedicate that much to the music. It seems once it all gets too much they give up, and in most cases are more comfortable as a studio artist than being a superstar. 

Zayn, Ariana Grande, they hate promoting and touring. They only want to record music and just put it out there. 

Rest in Peace to a former type pop star. The Global domination brand version. It did end due to mental health taking a more importance now then it did 20-80 years ago. 

Most artists aren't viewed anymore as a money making revenue. All are seem as human beings now. 

Thoughts?

• Love 2
  • Like 7

This post is so false :ohwut: what? Not creating legends anymore?:jeanluc:stop saying the same things people were saying back in the year 2000. It is the new age, new year and new decade. Get over it :chrissy:Not just Billie but so many have potential.

Ariana for sure, will be a legend for her beautiful and outstanding vocals. Billie will become a teen icon (and icon overall), Dua lipa is going to be for sure legendary. For what she served in future nostalgia, to see what heights she can extend to with her future projects, makes her look like she is going to be loved by critics. Rappers like Meghan Thee Stallion and Doja cat will become rap icons and will explode in popularity in the next 3 years. Lizzo will for sure be body positivity icon. Taylor Swift will start getting lifetime awards (and will decline in the mid 2020s). Rina SAWAYAMA has so much potential to be big.
There are many icons and legends in the making of our generation. So stop annoying us with this outdated “I miss music from olden times”. Music from 1970s-2000s was for sure amazing and legendary, but can u deny this years music has been fantastic.There’s a huge improvement.

• Love 6
  • Like 2
  • Content Curators

Also the culture has changed, people don't value what they don't earn with effort. Back then people would save their money to purchase music now it's easily accessible and that not only degrades the appreciation it cheapens the experience so people aren't as excited to hear and support an artist as people used to in the past.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

I wanna be there when you touch fire

36 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

This post is so false :ohwut: what? Not creating legends anymore?:jeanluc:stop saying the same things people were saying back in the year 2000. It is the new age, new year and new decade. Get over it :chrissy:Not just Billie but so many have potential.

Ariana for sure, will be a legend for her beautiful and outstanding vocals. Billie will become a teen icon (and icon overall), Dua lipa is going to be for sure legendary. For what she served in future nostalgia, to see what heights she can extend to with her future projects, makes her look like she is going to be loved by critics. Rappers like Meghan Thee Stallion and Doja cat will become rap icons and will explode in popularity in the next 3 years. Lizzo will for sure be body positivity icon. Taylor Swift will start getting lifetime awards (and will decline in the mid 2020s). Rina SAWAYAMA has so much potential to be big.
There are many icons and legends in the making of our generation. So stop annoying us with this outdated “I miss music from olden times”. Music from 1970s-2000s was for sure amazing and legendary, but can u deny this years music has been fantastic.There’s a huge improvement.

At the age of 36. Half of the music is crap today. I'm closer to 40 than my 20s.

About dua lipa. To be fair. Outside the UK. Future Nostalgia did indeed flop. 

I do believe her not being able to properly promote the album @JordanMiller did indeed kill the project prematurely in the US. Outside Don't start now. None of the other singles actually became hits. 

Dua is mostly focusing on the UK. 

Covid 19 did play a huge part in half of the projects commercial performance as many international acts can't properly promote in the US like they can in their native countries 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

At the age of 36. Half of the music is crap today. I'm closer to 40 than my 20s.

About dua lipa. To be fair. Outside the UK. Future Nostalgia did indeed flop. 

I do believe her not being able to properly promote the album @JordanMiller did indeed kill the project prematurely in the US. Outside Don't start now. None of the other singles actually became hits. 

Dua is mostly focusing on the UK. 

Covid 19 did play a huge part in half of the projects commercial performance as many international acts can't properly promote in the US like they can in their native countries 

Uhhhh? So?
Stop using the age card. Ik I am younger to you, but come on. Most of the music today is crap? God I am fed up of talking of this.

STOP SAYING FUTURE NOSTALGIA FLOPPED OMG! Stop it! :hillary:The album has sold 728k copies WW what more do you want!? Just because FN wasn’t platinum certified? Don’t be delusional. The album has gone top 3 in 16 countries. The album has received wide acclaim. You have to release that despite being released in a week full of competition and when the lockdown was enforced, she has done really good numbers.:typing:

But then, I remember you think that Romance was a hit just because it was 2x platinum :tiffeyeroll:

And no, half of music today is not crap pls stop it. Are we going to ignore the albums we got this year?…

• After hours
  • Future Nostalgia 
  • Rare
  • Manic
  • High road
  • Map of the soul: 7
  • Chromatica
  • SAWAYAMA
  • ~How I’m feeling~ Lauv
  • Circles

• Love 6
  • Like 2

I kinda agree, sure, there are some interesting stars that make good music but calling any of them "legends" would be a big push. I'm pretty much referring to every artist that has came into the spotlight since Gaga's debut. She has a throne and her picture on the wall of legends but in my opinion she was the most recent artist to earn the title of "legend". 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Midnight said:

Also the culture has changed, people don't value what they don't earn with effort. Back then people would save their money to purchase music now it's easily accessible and that not only degrades the appreciation it cheapens the experience so people aren't as excited to hear and support an artist as people used to in the past.

This

Also, this has happened thanks to social media and streaming platforms. It pushed everything and everyone on a fast track where nothing has longevity anymore and needs something new constantly

• Love 5

Because there's a lot of new 'stars' popping up left and right like mushrooms. Like, the D List has grown exponentially from where it used to be 20 years ago. :mattafact:

Used to be, we would groom them to become the perfect pop stars over time. Like, Britney Spears. Now we get irrelevant people from god-knows-where uploading their mediocre music to streaming platforms or Youtube and getting one billion streams, then they're suddenly "legends" and we have the consumers going yasss Queen, yasss King, Legends only. Like, really? :ehidk:

• Love 5

I both disagree with this and agree with this. There are less singular popstars ruling the world at one time or being the main focus, but there are more icons within their own niche/genre of music.

I really don’t like this idea though that music sucks now. If anything, I think music quality has greatly increased in the last 5-10 years. There was so much crap music that used to just be shoved down our throats because it was on every radio station, every tv show, every outlet and we couldn’t choose different music unless we bought it. Now, we each have more music available to us than ever before, genres are blending, innovation is being made. I almost feel as if this is a golden age in music. Like I said in another post:

The quality of music and amount of albums that have been hailed and critically acclaimed in recent years seems unprecedented to me (Kendrick Lamar, Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, FKA Twigs, Solange, SAWAYAMA, Beyoncé, Grimes, Sufjan Stevens, Kacey Musgraves, etc.) Most of these artists write most of all of their music too.

Even if there’s a lot bad music at our fingertips as well, it almost makes the most popular and recognized music that much more special because of how much more competition it faces now. The bad music has to get weeded out, whereas there was just a lot of politics behind the scenes and what artists are “in” that got airplay 15-20 years ago, whether the music was that great or not. There are artists that would’ve never been given the chance back then that now have the whole world as their platform, and it’s leading to so much more diversification in music. It’s great. I’ll take this any day over the limitations of singular mainstream music culture we used to have. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

legends.jpg.3974bc4287a78ca8fbc747db43a7b5f6.jpg

It seems to me the music industry doesn't create legends or superstars like it did in the past. 

Oddly, Billie Eilish might be the only act born this century to actually be a superstar and legend. I really think people don't like music the way we grew up on it. 

Most people are more private and anti-social /would rather work from home. 

It dawned on me... last decades' girl groups were either Little Mix or Fifth Harmony. 

None of them would go down as legends or icons. Maybe Little Mix in the UK, but that's it. 

Hell, even Danity Kane and PCD weren't iconic. USA Today did an article on 20 years after The Spice Girls debuted and the state of girl groups are near extinction.

They dubbed Danity Kane and the PCD as the plastic era and nothing about them spelled legends or reunions needed. 

Case in point: Both Danity Kane and PCD reunited.  

While in the UK and Ireland PCD is sold out but postponed. Word on the street is a US tour is unlikely because the girls are much bigger outside the US. They never got the chance to step outside the opening act in the US. Their biggest tour in the US was opening for Britney Spears but sadly it was also the end of the group as we know it.

For Danity Kane, that group never got the chance and they can only do club dates to where only a few people come, but let's be real... we don't have any act that can be like Janet Jackson , Beyonce,  Madonna or even Mariah Carey

Most of today's acts seems to not wanna dedicate that much to the music. It seems once it all gets too much they give up, and in most cases are more comfortable as a studio artist than being a superstar. 

Zayn, Ariana Grande, they hate promoting and touring. They only want to record music and just put it out there. 

Rest in Peace to a former type pop star. The Global domination brand version. It did end due to mental health taking a more importance now then it did 20-80 years ago. 

Most artists aren't viewed anymore as a money making revenue. All are seem as human beings now. 

Thoughts?

Am I the only one not drinking the Billie Eyelash kool aid? Seriously not being entirely a smart *** I don’t get the hype train behind her. 

But will say I don’t see any legendary entertainers of this newest generation. Ari is already established and she’s a tough act to follow.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, ScooterScott86 said:

Am I the only one not drinking the Billie Eyelash kool aid? Seriously not being entirely a smart *** I don’t get the hype train behind her. 

But will say I don’t see any legendary entertainers of this newest generation. Ari is already established and she’s a tough act to follow.

Ari is viewed by the press as the Mariah Carey of her Generation. I grew up with Mariah. Why would I want the generic version. Ariana can't even do a whistle note. Many critics believe that was a studio creation on Imagine. 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block