Spanish speakers I have a question about Desnudate by Christina Aguilera

55 minutes ago, deadcrocodiletears said:

tbh though, and i'm not saying this to put down christina or call her a 'flop' because britney and most 2000s girls are in a similar boat with sales to an extent.... i swear in 7th grade when Bionic came out there was promo EVERYWHERE.

Like EVERYWHERE, at least in Canada. I remember the Not Myself Tonight ads on VEVO before every single video. HMV put up posters of this holographic which would change from christina's full face to the half robot thing depending on where you looked at it. I also remember it being on billboards around my Canadian city too. That's why I am so shocked that it wasn't further promoted  by her... although she had some personal stuff she was going through.

i guess my point is, i don't think the label did anything all that wrong, it was Christina herself who didn't really promote it and the whole Gaga wave of backlash. @The Greatest Show, what do you think?

Despite so much promotion in Canada, it only sold 35k pure units and peaked at #3 :billie:

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

:tiffcackle: the writer was like, let me see what could be the most vulgar thing I can come up with so Chris can sing it. 

And on top of that let's use an incorrect word :haha:

Xtina invented librase. Queen of mispronouncing. :riha:

The devil works hard but you work harder. :inbed:

• Haha 2
  • Content Curators
48 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Xtina Fans: We want a version of Britneys ‘Get naked’ 

Xtina:  ok lemme make it caliente 

**** Johnny Depp GIF

UUU I like that gif :thirsty: help me I cant stop looking.

is that from a movie ? 

Oh my gosh I just realized that Get Naked and Desnudate mean the same thing :unreal: the B army is gonna flip :blast: yet one more thing Christina did after Britney :jl:

I wanna be there when you touch fire

• Content Curators
1 hour ago, Adriannn said:

I speak Spanish and  I don’t really get what she says, but librase is not a word. She tried to say “libérate” I assume, which means get yourself free, something like that. 

5 minutes ago, Ezequiel said:

"Librase" is a gramatically correct word, but it doesn't fit the context of the song. She's commanding the guy/girl to get naked so it should be: "Libérate, ahora" (Get naked, right now).

Regards from Argentina.

Yeah I think she should have said liberate :clicktina: still a magnificent song

23 hours ago, Midnight said:

In the song (which is a total bop) she says the word librase now when I first heard it I was like oh maybe she didn't pronounce it right and I just forgot about it but today I played the song again and I remembered, so I looked up the lyrics and yes indeed they spell it as librase. Now I've heard of liberate or perhaps she meant to say liberense. I looked it up on the spanish dictionary and I didn't find any results spelled that way.

Is that perhaps a way they use it in another latin country ? Anybody, is that a word ? Or is it incorrect ?desnudate.jpg.6ab10d29aea90176f26f0dc38e6b0f52.jpg

Ready for the secret? Hehe. I only know because I remember searching this when the song came out. 

Liberar and librar are two different words. 

We commonly use "liberate" which is why it sounds so odd to us. I agree she should've used that one. BUT:

Liberate is the imperative form of liberar.

Librese is the imperative form of librar. (and I think this is the word she is actually saying in the song...not sure). 

Librase is a word but she would've used it incorrectly then. 

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/liberate

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/librarse

• Love 1

"librase" i have never seen someone use that word, I think she tried to say "Liberate" (Set yourself free)               Christina said that she sings the lyrics phonethically in spanish and that she doesnt know the meaning of the words.I must say that she sounds like a native spanish speaker  in the "Mi reflejo" album, and a few songs like "mi primer amor,interlude" , " Alejandro Fernández - Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti ft. Christina Aguilera" , the sound of her spanish is perfect except for a few minor errors like in this song  when she says "librase" instead of "Liberate".

Regards from Chile

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
16 minutes ago, Ohmymy said:

Ready for the secret? Hehe. I only know because I remember searching this when the song came out. 

Liberar and librar are two different words. 

We commonly use "liberate" which is why it sounds so odd to us. I agree she should've used that one. BUT:

Liberate is the imperative form of liberar.

Librese is the imperative form of librar. (and I think this is the word she is actually saying in the song...not sure). 

Librase is a word but she would've used it incorrectly then. 

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/liberate

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/librarse

Oh wow this is what I was looking for earlier but the dictionary I looked in is not as detailed as this one so I just assumed incorrectly. I'm going to bookmark this dictionary thank you I highly appreciate it.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ezequiel said:

"Librase" is a gramatically correct word, but it doesn't fit the context of the song. She's commanding the guy/girl to get naked so it should be: "Libérate, ahora" (Set yourself free, right now).

Regards from Argentina.

It's not though. "Librase" would be the "pretérito imperfecto subjuntivo" which I doubt exists in English :idkney: but she's saying "Líbrase" as if she was talking in second person, commanding an order, and that word just does not exist. If any, it would be "liberate" if it's Argentinian or "libérate", well, and that depends if she's talking about "librar" or "liberar".

I've only heard this song once before, and didn't like it. Compared to her album in Spanish which was so well produced and where she had a better pronunciation, this just feels wrong lol Not to mention that cheap, typical "Latin beat" that is so late 90's and that sounded dated by the time this album came out. 

• Like 1
  • Content Curators
10 minutes ago, LELE said:

"librase" i have never seen someone use that word, I think she tried to say "Liberate" (Set yourself free)               Christina said that she sings the lyrics phonethically in spanish and that she doesnt know the meaning of the words.I must say that she sounds like a native spanish speaker  in the "Mi reflejo" album, and a few songs like "mi primer amor,interlude" , " Alejandro Fernández - Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti ft. Christina Aguilera" , the sound of her spanish is perfect except for a few minor errors like in this song  when she says "librase" instead of "Liberate".

Regards from Chile

Pero Me Acuerdo De Ti is a masterpiece :sendinglove:

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

UUU I like that gif :thirsty: help me I cant stop looking.

is that from a movie ? 

Oh my gosh I just realized that Get Naked and Desnudate mean the same thing :unreal: the B army is gonna flip :blast: yet one more thing Christina did after Britney :jl:

check out the movie CryBaby its a cult favorite 

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I've only heard this song once before, and didn't like it. Compared to her album in Spanish which was so well produced and where she had a better pronunciation, this just feels wrong lol Not to mention that cheap, typical "Latin beat" that is so late 90's and that sounded dated by the time this album came out. 

:disbelief:

I can say that I do love Pero Me Acuerdo De Ti  :sendinglove:

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block