Spanish speakers I have a question about Desnudate by Christina Aguilera

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

:didilie:

Exhaler ohmymy posted earlier and explained to me that the word does exist but that it was used wrong.

They wrote this and gave me a link to the Spanish dictionary I clicked it and yes the word is there but I also agree that she didn't use it correctly. 

Ready for the secret? Hehe. I only know because I remember searching this when the song came out. 

Liberar and librar are two different words. 

We commonly use "liberate" which is why it sounds so odd to us. I agree she should've used that one. BUT:

Liberate is the imperative form of liberar.

Librese is the imperative form of librar. (and I think this is the word she is actually saying in the song...not sure). 

Librase is a word but she would've used it incorrectly then. 

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/liberate

https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/librarse

Right, the way she pronounces the word ("LI-brase") doesssssss nottttttt exist in Spanish. (I actually put that period in bold)

I'm aware of both verbs ("liberar" and "librar", written in their base form; that is, not conjugated), and I mentioned that the word she INVENTED came from the second one, but it's wrong anyway.

Now, without the stress on the first syllable, we can find that word she uses in written form in Spanish: "librase" (stress on the SECOND syllable, not the first), but only in the subjunctive mood, whereas in the song with that word she uses the imperative.

https://dle.rae.es/librar?m=form

:bedtime:

Now... Libérate! A-HORA! :lizzie:

• Love 1

this is my fave song from Bionic... but back in the day when im heard me tienes tan mojada was like what tha **** that´s not sounds good on spanish.... but now with all of the reggaeton its pretty normal she was ahead of time lol

an i think she wants to say librate not librase and that is a bad pronunciation.

• Love 1

Puede ser “libérate, ahora” mal pronunciado, o “libre se, ahora” también mal pronunciado, pero vocalmente más  parecido.

It could be “libérate” (get loose) miss pronounced, or “libre se” (be free) also miss pronounced, but vocally more alike. 

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
43 minutes ago, franpanxop said:

Puede ser “libérate, ahora” mal pronunciado, o “libre se, ahora” también mal pronunciado, pero vocalmente más  parecido.

It could be “libérate” (get loose) miss pronounced, or “libre se” (be free) also miss pronounced, but vocally more alike. 

yo pense que quizo decir "libere se, ahora" mal pronunciado pero cuando busque las letras de la cancion en efecto esta escrito como librase y algunos usuarios me dicen que si es una palabra y otros dicen que no. En mi caso yo nunca habia esuchado esa palabra y la busque en el diccionario pero no la encontre pero un usuario de aqui me mostro otro diccionario y si en efecto la palabra si existe tal como ella la uso pero la utilizo de forma equivocada de todas formas :cuteidk: lo bueno esque la cancion es toda una fiesta :lizzie: saludos desde Houston 

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block