The Story Of The 3 Forgotten Pop Queens

3 minutes ago, Niarchos said:

Nelly was big in the US, but outside the US she was even bigger. She was huge.

It's strange how those artists disappear over time. Maybe this is what will happen with Ariana, Selena and Rihanna?

Yes I’m from the UK and when I say Nelly was big I mean it. 

IM LIKE A BIRD 

PROMISCUOUS

MANEATER

SAY IT RIGHT

were all number ones (not fact checked but seemed like it) and omg I would have never expected her to have just vanish within 2 years it was like hi I’m Katy, I’m Gaga, I’m Rihanna. And that’s it lol. All the others became irrelevant except of course Beyoncé and Britney legendary spears. 

hmm I do sometimes wonder that too, I do however guarantee Rihanna will be placed on the same pedestal of the greats :praisega: 

• Love 2

I Seem Live 2/3 

Fergie, her success was highly by the Black eyed peas, her solo without black eyed peas is like a fries without burger, and black eyed peas without her, is like a burger without fries, so they are a great match, i think they could back in the future but idk what happen to them , it got a vibe like she got something with one of them. they are great live connect with the audience. 

Nelly Furtado Her First 4 Records was amazing , i seem her live at mi plan, also mi plan was a great record but i see like from this album she created her own label and maybe she lost sponsorship by the laber, i saw her at mi plan tour  front row and it was so humble and kind and really good show for the fans,   She lost the GP with her last albums spirit industructible and , are not too much commercial,  and also are a kind of songs that doesn't connect with the almost people. in the business you have to be smart you could create your own content but trying always to conect with the people.

In the case of Gwen, the problem was the hiatus, i mean at least she's like cher style, she could go on tour and keep selling her concerts, for me she is in better peak that nelly and fergie.

So all i could say is that when they lost the support of the record label everything goes down, the labels also put more interest in few artist than others.

• Love 1

I think Gwen achieved the most longevity since due to her staring in the early 90s with ND and stil relatively relevant while the others came about 10 years after Gwen so I do not think it is fair fair to club them in the same category.

Also in terms of influence and impact, Gwen was the strongest since Gaga’s early work is flat out plagiarism off Gwen’s Sweet Escape wig but no one talks about it.

that said, I miss all three as their music had more substance imo compared to their pop contemporaries like Ariana, Gaga, Riri and Katy. 

• Love 1

Well , I think it's because they chose to have a private life and a family , they are lucky to survive in such a bizarre and cruel industry , I'm pretty sure Britney would do the same if she could ..... But Britney is too much of a force to just let go , sadly they're still making money off her because of her iconic status :thelook:

• Love 1

nelly's music has aged SO well imo. she always had a sort of brooding yet **** vibe, and her music was always a little off kilter in my opinion. 

some of her best that aren't talked about (aka aren't maneater, like a bird, say it right, or promiscuous...). loose is one of my favorite pop albums. i think it encapsulates the 2000s dance-pop genre better than any other album (sorry, In The Zone...). i think she had one of the best combos of musicians that were both very successful and could be taken seriously (i feel like Fergie was hard to take serious often even when she made good music...idk). she also had the benefit of feeling like this was her prime, whereas imo Gwen was prime in the 90s despite her lovely output in the 2000s. i will never understand the delay in putting out another english album, it killed her career...unless it had to do with her fallout with timbaland and not being sure where to go with her sound. i feel like she could've really garnered huge status going forward into the 2010's, maybe slide into a more slick, moody sound like say it right...shame tbh

also, idk if anyone else does it but i group popular music into waves. Ms. Nelly is an oddball in that she kind of should've fallen in line with the anti-pop singers like Avril and P!nk based on her time of debut & the folksy sound she had in contrast to the bubblegum from britney, christina, jessica, etc yet after her second album failed she kind of caught the wind of the mid 2000's dance-pop singers wave: Beyonce, Fergie, Gwen, PCD. I feel she and Gwen (maybe not so much Fergie or PCD) could've easily had continued huge status and been contemporary as Beyonce is even if not as critically acclaimed...

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

nelly's music has aged SO well imo. she always had a sort of brooding yet **** vibe, and her music was always a little off kilter in my opinion. 

some of her best that aren't talked about (aka aren't maneater, like a bird, say it right, or promiscuous...). loose is one of my favorite pop albums. i think it encapsulates the 2000s dance-pop genre better than any other album (sorry, In The Zone...). i think she had one of the best combos of musicians that were both very successful and could be taken seriously (i feel like Fergie was hard to take serious often even when she made good music...idk). she also had the benefit of feeling like this was her prime, whereas imo Gwen was prime in the 90s despite her lovely output in the 2000s. i will never understand the delay in putting out another english album, it killed her career...unless it had to do with her fallout with timbaland and not being sure where to go with her sound. i feel like she could've really garnered huge status going forward into the 2010's, maybe slide into a more slick, moody sound like say it right...shame tbh

also, idk if anyone else does it but i group popular music into waves. Ms. Nelly is an oddball in that she kind of should've fallen in line with the anti-pop singers like Avril and P!nk based on her time of debut & the folksy sound she had in contrast to the bubblegum from britney, christina, jessica, etc yet after her second album failed she kind of caught the wind of the mid 2000's dance-pop singers wave: Beyonce, Fergie, Gwen, PCD. I feel she and Gwen (maybe not so much Fergie or PCD) could've easily had continued huge status and been contemporary as Beyonce is even if not as critically acclaimed...

Absolutely! Loose redefined pop and was a total gem of the decade it came out in.

as much as this may sound, but every pop artist has an expiry date. We will probably be saying the same and creating similar threads to this one about Ariana, Miley and Halsey in 2025.

• Love 2

I STAN Gwen Stefani :didilie:

she’s one of my favourite singers alongside Gaga, Britney, Taylor and Ariana. She is an icon. 

Fergie has a few hits and that’s about it :imok:

Nelly Furtado’s Loose album, the album with Promiscuous, Maneater and Say It Right is absolute pop perfection, one of my favourite albums of all time and my favourite album of 2006, along with The Sweet Escape. All her other albums are just not for me though :sofedup:

I’d never say Gwen Stefani fell off or anything, to me she is a pop icon. Her and her band, No Doubt were huge in the 90’s and then she went solo and literally defined the mid to late 2000’s with hits like Hollaback Girl (number 1 hit), Rich Girl and The Sweet Escape. The 2 albums she released were a success too, even if they did receive mixed reviews. She then returned to no doubt and did stuff with them for a few years and then went solo again and released This Is What The Truth Feels Like, it recurved great reviews and became her first album to go #1. She then released a Christmas album, started doing country hits with her boyfriend and then started a Vegas Residency :clap:

Fergie ruined her career after that singing the national anthem and taking like 11 years to release another album :nochillbrit:

Nelly Furtado became huge with Loose, she proved she was a very versatile singer with a great voice. Then she disappeared and made a Spanish album :watrusayin:

• Love 3

Kylie Minoge is always left out when discussion bout queens and princesses of Pop.. Her music has shaped pop music in so many ways her album Light Years is a master piece and even Madonna, Ray of light sounded extremely similar to a song by Kylie, 

• Love 2

The fact that all three of these women aren't bigger is honestly such a tragedy. All of their latest albums have been incredible considering they hadn't released anything in years and the expectations were so high. 

Fergie made a whole *** film for double dutchess, and that album had incredible songs - the rollout was messy af tho. How you gonna release the album 3 years after the lead single :(

Gwen I think has remained the most relevant out of the 3, because she's on the Voice and that gives her a lot of exposure. Her music is still good too. Truth was a little generic at points but nonetheless a solid pop record.

Nelly has become CRIMINALLY underrated but she seems to have amassed a somewhat cult following, at least on twitter. I think people connect with her because she is SO authentic in her music. I love her whole discography. I think the reason she hasn't seen much success after Loose is because of the spanish album and the fact that when she made her english-speaking comeback, it was very different from her previous stuff. I remember listening to her comeback single Hoops and thinking wow this girl has lost her mind. Since then I've grown to love that whole album of course so idk - LazyFirstBinturong-small.gif

I wish more people today cared about the incredible musical legacy these women left behind, because their discographies are absolute treasures.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, migeal said:

Kylie Minoge is always left out when discussion bout queens and princesses of Pop.. Her music has shaped pop music in so many ways her album Light Years is a master piece and even Madonna, Ray of light sounded extremely similar to a song by Kylie, 

I’ll tell you why she’s left out it’s because America didn’t take to her. The American music market it so large. It’s like your invisible if you didn’t make it big there in the 90s and 00s. Obviously now with streaming etc it doesn’t matter. But Kylie is mad underrated I agree <3

• Love 1
6 hours ago, coupure_electrique said:

The fact that all three of these women aren't bigger is honestly such a tragedy. All of their latest albums have been incredible considering they hadn't released anything in years and the expectations were so high. 

Fergie made a whole *** film for double dutchess, and that album had incredible songs - the rollout was messy af tho. How you gonna release the album 3 years after the lead single :(

Gwen I think has remained the most relevant out of the 3, because she's on the Voice and that gives her a lot of exposure. Her music is still good too. Truth was a little generic at points but nonetheless a solid pop record.

Nelly has become CRIMINALLY underrated but she seems to have amassed a somewhat cult following, at least on twitter. I think people connect with her because she is SO authentic in her music. I love her whole discography. I think the reason she hasn't seen much success after Loose is because of the spanish album and the fact that when she made her english-speaking comeback, it was very different from her previous stuff. I remember listening to her comeback single Hoops and thinking wow this girl has lost her mind. Since then I've grown to love that whole album of course so idk - LazyFirstBinturong-small.gif

I wish more people today cared about the incredible musical legacy these women left behind, because their discographies are absolute treasures.

Trust me ! Hoops at the time I was like omg, but that sound with its hip hop influences has really aged well as music tastes have changed. Back then all music was very EDM and our ears weren’t ready for a hip hop influenced experimental track.

“Eh eh what’s the scenario that boy keeps passing me by” “Thought I told you I was fly” 

“I can go fast I can go slow I can go places nobody else goes I can move fast I can move slow” 

• Love 1
On 5/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, reecejwilson said:

Nelly Furtado actually came back with a new album in 2017, titled The Ride, I have this title tattooed on my left forearm :urite: the album to me represents how life is one big roller-coaster with many ups&downs. :wontcry:

She came back with a more conservative style in comparison to how she looked back in the noughties with maneater etc. Her appearance was completely different (beautiful:lessons:) in terms of hair, fashion, image. What also changed was the sound of her music, it took on a more indie-pop-folk sound in comparison to the R&B she dominated the charts with 14 years back.

She faded away. The GP just didn't understand it. That's alright, because I know I do and that she's amazing :lessons:

File:Nelly Furtado - 2017097192058 2017-04-07 Radio Regenbogen Award 2017 - Sven - 1D X MK II - 0875 - AK8I5715 mod.jpg

For me, I really enjoy spirit indestructible more. Waiting for the night and parking lot was my sh#t back in the day. People didn’t appreciate her new sounds during that time and called her weird. Miracle and the end of world is still my favorite lullaby from the album 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block