Happy Cinco de Mayo 2020!

cinco.jpg.c610562853921846b1ccab8dd42b6339.jpg

On this day in 1862, the Mexican Army, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza, defeated the French empire at the Battle of Puebla. The defeat was mostly symbolic due to its huge morale boost for the Mexican Army. Cinco de Mayo (the 5th of May) has become more of a celebration in Mexican-American culture since 1863, but began receiving major popularity in the 1980s due to the advertising from alcohol companies. 

Are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo? If so, feel free to share how you’re celebrating while social distancing! 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo, Exhalers! 🕺🏻💃🏻 💜💛🧡

giphy.gif

@PokemonSpears Pokieee :bigkiss:

giphy.gif

As Crazy said, it's not really much of a celebration in here, they don't even give us the day free :britdrown: but thanks I guess d93ipz5-f6ae0d63-8684-488d-bbb9-7c204fe7

Thing is, even though Mexico won the battle in 1862, the victory didn't last that long since the following year the French army came back and won this time around, establishing the second monarchy or empire, with Maximilian I as the emperor (though the empire only lasted 3 years). Probably (as Mexican) we should celebrate the date the empire was abolished, but it ended with the execution of Maximilian I, which isn't very nice I guess lol But I think people just decided to ignore the whole French Intervention as a "hiatus" that shouldn't even have happened in the first place, since we had already declared independence from Spain decades before. :yaknow:

Sometimes I wonder what would be the fate of Mexico if the French empire lasted longer. :idkney: Probably our economy and culture wouldn't be so bad, but I think in these "modern" times we would've gotten independent sooner or later anyways. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

the victory didn't last that long since the following year the French army came back and won this time around

SCREAMING :gloria:

So this isn't like your Independence Day and you celebrate that instead of Cinco de Mayo?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

SCREAMING :gloria:

So this isn't like your Independence Day and you celebrate that instead of Cinco de Mayo?

:yesokay:

Yeah, we celebrate September 16 as the independence day. However, again, not even that is THAT accurate, because that's the day the war started to get independent from Spain: September 16, 1810, but the war wouldn't end until September 27, 1821. But yeah, that's our official holiday :mhm:

I've never really celebrated it though lol People usually reunite in plazas and public spaces in the night of September 15 to do the "Grito de la Independencia" (Cry of Dolores) in the early morning of September 16 and everybody gets drunk and there's music and fireworks, but that's really not my kind of environment :blol: At least they give us the day free :yaknow:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block