"Once Upon a One More Time" Musical

Jean-Philippe

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2019 at 6:24 AM, LBoggie said:

Not sure if already posted, but a lot of broadway fans are here for this. Could be a hit:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1115317&page=1

8 hours ago, LBoggie said:

I read a little more about it and I'm happy to hear that it's also going to have choreography and also seems very dance-centric (they've hired some pretty cool choreographers), which is very Britney. 

On 3/18/2019 at 5:33 AM, pablitonizer said:

It will! Broadway's been all about pop culture in recent years so it is a very smart move from this musical company :gerlwat:

It will be very, very successful as long as the story is good She has a very vast and diverse catalog of songs:

:11

"What kind of jukebox musical will Once Upon a One More Time be?

Once Upon a One More Time tells the story of a book club made up entirely of fairy-tale princesses. When a rogue fairy godmother drops a copy of Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique onto their laps, it sets them on a path to questioning the patriarchal tall tales that governs their existence — myths best smashed to the music of Britney Spears. This show falls firmly in the devised plot category. Is this a good choice for Britney Spears? Synthesizing second-wave feminism with the music of Britney Spears has the potential to be campy good fun, and perhaps even subtly subversive. One can easily imagine a toxic masculinity dream ballet using the song "Toxic," or a showstopping takedown of the concept of female hysteria set to "(You Drive Me) Crazy." The creative soil is rich.

The devised plot model also avoids becoming a self-serving stage memoir (as so many bio-musicals are). Honestly, the idea of a 37-year-old having a conclusive biography on Broadway is a depressing thought for everyone, especially for an artist who has just begun (having her fun)

But is Britney Spears a good choice for Broadway?

Maybe! While so many jukebox musicals have capitalized on music beloved by baby boomers with expendable income, the well of viable acts is starting to run dry. (Beyond "Margaritaville," how many Jimmy Buffett songs can you name off the top of your head?) This helps explain the appearance of jukebox musicals geared toward musical acts of the '80s (like the Go-Go's) and '90s (like Alanis Morissette). Britney Spears broke through to national attention in 1999 with "...Baby One More Time," so her inclusion on the Broadway stage represents an audacious leap into the 21st century for the jukebox musical. Still, her millennial fans are aging and starting to have a little bit of wealth of their own. Whether they choose to spend that money on Broadway tickets is yet to be seen.

As with every show on Broadway, the play's the thing, and that will be written by Jon Hartmere (Bare). A great stage show can lead to strong word of mouth, which can lead to big lines at the box office. This is where the right creative team will be essential: The director of Once Upon a One More Time will be by Kristin Hanggi, who also helmed the wildly successful five-year run of Rock of Ages. If campy fun is the vision, she's the one to make it a reality. Husband-and-wife team Keone and Mari Madrid have signed on to choreograph, and if the below video is any indication, this will result in an invasion of street dance onto the Broadway stage — perfect for a Britney musical. I don't know where Amy is, but if u seek Britney, her spirit (if not her person) will be in the Nederlander Theatre on October 29."

• Super Mods
On 3/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, nels64 said:

I totally see where you’re coming from and do agree. 

Vegas was 100% Milk imo. Britney seemed to  be on board to just get it over with. I know I may just be poisoned by all this c-ship talk lately. But I really do think Britney is OH VER IT. 

She hasn’t been able to do exactly what she wants to do since Blackout and even then it was short lived because of everything going on at the time.

I think she thought the end of POM was finally going to be her freedom moment and then they went right into Domination and she was NOT having it. She also got a taste of more creative freedom during Glory and probably did not want to go back to the Circus/FF/BJ days. Yes her dad’s illness played a roll maybe? Or maybe offered her an opportunity. But her silence during the announcement and recently has been DEAFENING. 

It’s weird. She genuinely seemed happy at the announcement though. Almost like she “knew” she was up to something. 

Where was I going with this again? I lost track hahah. Oh yeah musical. 

Idk again like I keep saying only time will tell and I understand your apprehension towards the musical and will probably agree if it’s terrible and IS just a legacy content money grab. But it honestly sounds like Britney was pretty involved at least with the initial concept. 

I mean listen to the premise it has Britney written ALL OVER IT. Fairy tales, a book on feminism, female empowerment, princesses? It just sounds very Britney and not in the legacy content type way. It feels like a personal bit of Britney in there. So if it’s true that she did work with them closely over the last few years, I’m very excited for this because it may be the most involved she’s been creatively in something in a while. 

I get why people are jumping the gun and thinking this is dumb or an “easy” money grab. Especially with **** like POM, Dom, all the random greatest hits, etc. But Broadway plays take years to develop. This by no means was “easy” to put together. And the production group they’re using is supposedly pretty good. So as always we’ll have to wait and see. But I think this play will be a good thing and nothing like the other situations. ESPECIALLY since the play isn’t about her or her legacy or anything. It’s an original story using her music .

You’re right, I’m not too excited about the musical but I’m sure Britney definitely was involved. I honestly don’t think it would be a hit (the name is already not very catchy) but she has said in her prime she wanted to branch out and do other things like write for other artists and do more work behind the scenes. I still remember how she wrote on her blog about how satisfying she felt being behind the camera and to direct her own video (Do Something) 

I appreciate that it’s another creative venture for her 

This is the reality of being a Britney stan in 2019. I hate it so much because if she waited a few years she could probably have a super successful musical of her life. I don’t see that ever happening while her songs have been used already in some basic musical.

I’m morbidly curious about what the end result of this show will be so I’m still considering going, is anyone else thinking of travelling internationally?

Archived