New BreatheHeavy.com layout

Jordan Miller

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Thank you! I'll work on restyling Exhale in the near future. 

I don't disagree. How would you feel about a subscription option?

$2 a month to browse Exhale ad free + access / features that unpaid members wouldn't have. Or free but with ads. Thoughts? 

Jordan most won't even pay 99 cents to 1.99 to support a Britney single let alone a few dollars to browse a forum.

It have to be you really spilling the song tea you know and the stuff you've been holding back on.

If I'm being honest, I'm indifferent.

Is it cute, cool and faded (circa 2008 Britney)? Yes, it is!

Is it functional? Not for me.

I think you have potentially good content, but the layout and how it presents to the reader is, in my opinion, too confusing. For the sake of narrating and describing my user experience, here I go...

As soon as I load the page (both iPhone and desktop), I'm hit with a "B-Sides: Let Go" article, which is cool, but I'm confused. Is this breaking news, a spotlight article or merely just the most recent article published? I can't tell.

Then I scroll down and see "It's Breaking, *****" which I assume is a "breaking news" content category of some sort that's supposed to draw my attention, but I'm now more confused because why would the "breaking news" content be below the "B Sides: Let Go" article. Again, I think I get the idea, but it's just confusing to me.

As I keep scrolling, I'm hit with another content category called "Breathe Heavy RX (Premium Content)" with another B Sides article but wait, wasn't that at the top of the page earlier? Also, what does "premium content" mean and if it's premium, why do the article thumbnails look the same as all the other content? 

Okay, I keep scrolling and now I'm hit with "Thank U, News (Breaking News Stories)"...wait WHAT?! If this is the actual "breaking news" section, why is at the bottom of the page? Furthermore, I'm still trying to figure out what "It's Breaking, *****" was if this is the breaking news section. As I scroll down, I realize the rest of the content is down below.

I'm honestly not trying to be overly critical, but the page just doesn't function for me. It feels like the site has many different ideas but it can't make its mind up on what's important or what it's even trying to be. In terms of asking if users would pay a subscription, I would do a hard pass considering the "premium content" is nothing more than personal reviews with filler info that I could make up myself. 

On a side note, I still respect what you've done Jordan...we share a birthday too...even down to the year! 

Now queue the hateful responses...

• Leader
10 hours ago, Queenreba said:

If I'm being honest, I'm indifferent.

Is it cute, cool and faded (circa 2008 Britney)? Yes, it is!

Is it functional? Not for me.

I think you have potentially good content, but the layout and how it presents to the reader is, in my opinion, too confusing. For the sake of narrating and describing my user experience, here I go...

As soon as I load the page (both iPhone and desktop), I'm hit with a "B-Sides: Let Go" article, which is cool, but I'm confused. Is this breaking news, a spotlight article or merely just the most recent article published? I can't tell.

Then I scroll down and see "It's Breaking, *****" which I assume is a "breaking news" content category of some sort that's supposed to draw my attention, but I'm now more confused because why would the "breaking news" content be below the "B Sides: Let Go" article. Again, I think I get the idea, but it's just confusing to me.

As I keep scrolling, I'm hit with another content category called "Breathe Heavy RX (Premium Content)" with another B Sides article but wait, wasn't that at the top of the page earlier? Also, what does "premium content" mean and if it's premium, why do the article thumbnails look the same as all the other content? 

Okay, I keep scrolling and now I'm hit with "Thank U, News (Breaking News Stories)"...wait WHAT?! If this is the actual "breaking news" section, why is at the bottom of the page? Furthermore, I'm still trying to figure out what "It's Breaking, *****" was if this is the breaking news section. As I scroll down, I realize the rest of the content is down below.

I'm honestly not trying to be overly critical, but the page just doesn't function for me. It feels like the site has many different ideas but it can't make its mind up on what's important or what it's even trying to be. In terms of asking if users would pay a subscription, I would do a hard pass considering the "premium content" is nothing more than personal reviews with filler info that I could make up myself. 

On a side note, I still respect what you've done Jordan...we share a birthday too...even down to the year! 

Now queue the hateful responses...

Huge thank you for taking the time to write this out! 

You are totally right in terms of sections being broken up. It's because I was sick of the chronological order format. We are going to begin including more and more original content that takes a lot of time and energy to create, and I don't want it to be eclipsed by a simple breaking news story. 

Here's the idea behind the main page order:

1 PREMIUM "RX" POST

3 NEWS POSTS

3 PREMIUM "RX" POSTS 

10 NEWS POSTS (CONTINUED)

4 EXHALE

MORE NEWS POSTS

I am super tired of breaking news, and don't want BH to be made of that anymore, so I want to promote our original content more.

I think it will take a few days to get used to it and then will make total sense. Hopefully anyway haha.

• Leader
2 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’d pay $2 a month for it. I spend most of my online time here anyway. Jordan’s got this ***** for life. Or at least until Britney retires for good.  :demi:

Honestly I think it's worth considering. Exhale subscribers could get a lot of additional features and ad free. Seriously $2 a month is nothing - people spend triple that on a cup of coffee they finish in 15 minutes. It's just getting people over the hurdle of 'omg I think the Internet should be free' notion. :demi:

14 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Honestly I think it's worth considering. Exhale subscribers could get a lot of additional features and ad free. Seriously $2 a month is nothing - people spend triple that on a cup of coffee they finish in 15 minutes. It's just getting people over the hurdle of 'omg I think the Internet should be free' notion. :demi:

If you do that, you should do an option for $20 one time payment for a year. A little incentive for people to pay a bigger price upfront but also get a little back in return. Just my thoughts :well: also, where’s our mobile app? :demi:

1 hour ago, breatheheavy said:

Huge thank you for taking the time to write this out! 

You are totally right in terms of sections being broken up. It's because I was sick of the chronological order format. We are going to begin including more and more original content that takes a lot of time and energy to create, and I don't want it to be eclipsed by a simple breaking news story. 

Here's the idea behind the main page order:

1 PREMIUM "RX" POST

3 NEWS POSTS

3 PREMIUM "RX" POSTS 

10 NEWS POSTS (CONTINUED)

4 EXHALE

MORE NEWS POSTS

I am super tired of breaking news, and don't want BH to be made of that anymore, so I want to promote our original content more.

I think it will take a few days to get used to it and then will make total sense. Hopefully anyway haha.

I look forward to seeing the content unravel over the coming weeks. Side note, what does a guy have to do to meet and hang out with you next time I'm in Vegas? ;)

• Leader
1 hour ago, If U Seek Me said:

I like it but what is "RX" in the menu? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :gloria:

Pictures may be a bit too big, particularly for the mainpaged article.

I've been low-key rolling out RX over the last few months. It's going to pick up steam more and more throughout 2019. It's a branch of BreatheHeavy that features what I'm considering "premium" articles AKA stories that are original and thoughtful. They can be interviews, thought pieces, throwbacks, essays, deep dives etc. We are going to start out with three per week and I have a feeling that will pick up momentum and take over the breaking news side of things. Breaking news is freakin everywhere and I want BH to set itself apart. It's time. 

Archived