Britney on British GQ Magazine (2003)

GQ Magazine (UK) - November 2003

s-l1600.jpg

"I did an interview for a magazine the other day and it made me sound like such a *******. I read the interview and I was like, 'I would never say that,' you know what I mean? So you just go with it and be yourself and they say what they want to say, the motherf**kers."

Spoiler

GQ Magazine: November 2003

normal_gqpage.jpg

GQ: How the devil are you?
Britney Spears: Once I get a cappuccino in me, I'll be cool.

How many do you need?
Just the one.

Your new record seems like a fairly calculated attempt at appealing to an older market. Is this fair?
It's not deliberately meant to be an adult record although it does have that feel to it. It was accidental more than anything, but I kinda see what you're saying. A lot of people were like, 'Let's write dark stuff!' but I'm not a dark person, I don't like dark things.

Lyrically it's overtly ******
A lot of the songs are kind of ******, but I think when you're being ****** and really putting yourself out there, there's nothing sacred anymore about it, and there's nothing subtle about it. This is more sensual than ******. It's mischievous, that's my interpretation of it. Sometimes you think, 'God, she looks like such a very *friendly* person,' so you've got to make sure you're not too vulgar.

Well, you don't seem vulgar, but a lot of your success is based on the fact that you're not only appealing to tweenies, but also to guys in their twenties, thirties and fourties. You are *** incarnate. There must be some kind of initiative here?
Honestly, I don't think there is an intent. When I write a song, I'm not like, 'I'm going to have all these guys...'

But you're a good-looking woman...
Well, I've always been... it's not like I'm a ****** person, but I think that I'm a very spiritual person and when you're in touch with all sides of yourself, I think that's attractive. When someone comes into a room and they're trying to be **** it comes across the wrong way. I think that when you're just open about yourself and you feel comfortable, and when you're in touch with your ****** side, that's a lot sexier. Of course there's a time and place for everything. I don't go into the room and talk to my Mom about ***...

You have a very definite idea of how you want to project yourself....
Well, you can't worry too much, you know. I did an interview for a magazine the other day and it made me sound like such a *******. I read the interview and I was like, 'I would never say that,' you know what I mean? So you just go with it and be yourself and they say what they want to say, the motherf**kers.

Britney said motherf**kers! You get a fair amount of criticism for the way you dress.

In everyday life, I wear what I like. I seriously just threw this nuts on. No wonder I get on the worst-dressed lists because I go out there a bit. Sometimes what I wear is inappropriate but I'm not into gowns and when I'm out at events I guess I kinda stand out. You've got to dress the way you feel otherwise what's the point?

Are your clothes beginning to reflect your new grown-up image?
The imagery? Hell, no. I mean, I'm not going to go around dressing like a grandma or something like that.

How important as a woman is it for you to be attractive to men?
I think when women really want a boyfriend, it shows and it looks so stupid. They act forward, it's like, 'Just freaking be yourself!' The only time you have a really perfect relationship is when you're comfortable with yourself and you're happy with being alone. A guy doesn't want a girl to get on his nerves and be all over him. I've always been a tomboy, I've always ended up being the man in the relationship. I know it sounds really weird, but it's very hard for me to let go and let the man take control, put it that way. That can be unattractive sometimes; I need to work on that.

When did you first realise that you were a *** symbol?
A *** symbol, I don't know. I don't really like being called a *** symbol.

Come on Britney, you're one of the sexiest women in the world!
Oh my God! I can't believe you just said that!

Come on, you're being coy. It's not a bad thing is it?
I guess it's kind of flattering.

Yeah, it's kind of hugely flattering.
Yeah, OK. How did I realise? Probably the first Rolling Stone cover by David LaChapelle. He came in and did the photos and totally tricked me.

Were those the teddy bear pictures? They were fabulous.
They were really cool but I didn't really know what the hell I was doing. And, to be totally honest with you, at the time I was 16, so I really didn't. I was back in my bedroom, and I had my little sweater on and he was like, 'Undo your sweater a little bit more.' The whole thing was about me being into dolls, and in my naïve mind I was like, 'Here are my dolls!' and now I look back and I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, what the hell?' But he did a very good job of portraying me in that way. It certainly wasn't peaches and cream.
normal_Greg_Kadel_Set03_1_HQ.jpg

Do you think people like the fact that you're obviously not as innocent as they once thought?
As far as the whole *** thing goes, I really did think that Justin [Timberlake] was going to be the one I was going to marry so I did do the thing with him after three years. And I don't think that's a bad thing. You can still be a nice person and wholesome and still go out every once in a while. Just because I've admitted to having *** doesn't make me a bad person, does it? I think they [the press] thought even before I had ***, that I was going to do it one day anyway, so I really don't think it makes any difference at all.

You're far more open than I expected than I expected you to be
That's because I need therapy and I talk to you guys and I get it out.

How easy is it to deal with unwanted male attention?
I don't put myself in situations where I feel uncomfortable. If I go to a club and there's a bunch of guys and they start saying vulgar things we just go to the next place.

Do you get groupies? I suppose you must do.
Yeah, sometimes. They come to hotels and you walk out and sign their autograph, it's kind of cute.

Cute, but there's a line between cute and stalker
There are some people that see me and I'm like, 'Oh my God, they're scaring me right now.' There's just a look in their eye that makes me think, 'Get away from me!' I've seen those people, they're weird.

How bling are you are you?
Not very. I've got a Mercedes SL500 and, I've just got a Navigator - I think that's what it's called. It's just a really big truck. I'm not really a big spender, man. I don't like brand names.

Oh come on.
No, I'm for real. The other day I had this new stylist and she was like 'Oh we need to get you the new blah collection,' and I went across the street to a little vintage place and bought a five-dollar shirt. If I go to an event and there's this crazy outfit from Prada, nuts, I'm going to wear it. But in everyday life I don't like the big hoop-la going on. I think it’s stupid when you see these guys necklaces, I think that shows a lack of something. Sorry!

What's the perfect Friday night?
Going to a movie with the guy you really like and then coming back and watching more movies and having ice cream and sitting there and then having a kiss and then he leaves. I want that so bad right nos. 

You expect me to believe that?
Yes, because when you're first dating a guy, you can't really go there with him. I think it's more sacred and special if you just kiss.

Is there a discernable difference between British men and American men?
I would need to hang around British men more to have that answer because I really don't know. I do like your sense of humour though. It's fun to be around anybody that makes you laugh. It makes the whole environment a little bit lighter so I think it's really cool that you guys do that.

OK, you are currently tone of the most eligible single women in the world. So, what's the worse thing a guy can do on a date?
Don't take me out somewhere too nice. I'm really easy, seriously.

normal_gqnov3.jpg

Photo Provided By: britney.com
Information Provided By: gq-magazine.co.uk

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set01_6_HQ.jpg

"As far as the whole *** thing goes, I really did think that Justin [Timberlake] was going to be the one I was going to marry so I did do the thing with him after three years. And I don't think that's a bad thing. You can still be a nice person and wholesome and still go out every once in a while. Just because I've admitted to having *** doesn't make me a bad person, does it? I think they [the press] thought even before I had ***, that I was going to do it one day anyway, so I really don't think it makes any difference at all."

normal_XRAY_B_087.jpg

Spoiler

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set06_1_HQ.jpg

normal_XRAY_B_152.jpg

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set07_1_UHQ.jpg

normal_XRAY_B_169.jpg

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set08_2_HQ.jpg

normal_XRAY_B_110.jpg

normal_XRAY_B_165.jpg

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set05_2_HQ.jpg

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set04_5_HQ.jpg

normal_Greg_Kadel_Set03_1_HQ.jpg

normal_XRAY_B_117.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Captain Marvel said:

Thank goodness David LaChapelle gave us the real tea.  :lollistare:

“If I go to a club and there's a bunch of guys and they start saying vulgar things we jusgo to the next place.

:surprisedney:

Humble, down to earth Queen! :clap:

I love how candid she was in the interview, I’ve never read it before. She seriously seemed like such a well put together ordinary girl who seemed so low maintenance and sweet. :gobaby:

Also, her looking back at the David LaChappelle shoot made me wonder how she truly felt deep down about it... I wonder how many other men have made her feel uncomfortable... or taken advantage of her being so young and inexperienced. Ugh. I wonder if she holds resentment towards David and that’s why there was tension at the Make Me shoot. :thinkney:

30 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

I love how candid she was in the interview, I’ve never read it before. She seriously seemed like such a well put together ordinary girl who seemed so low maintenance and sweet. 

Also, her looking back at the David LaChappelle shoot made me wonder how she truly felt deep down about it... I wonder how many other men have made her feel uncomfortable... or taken advantage of her being so young and inexperienced. Ugh. I wonder if she holds resentment towards David and that’s why there was tension at the Make Me shoot. 

If I recall correctly, this was shortly after her Esquire interview, which makes me think she was referring to that interviewer who made her out to be dumb. To add to your point about wondering how many other men have made her uncomfortable because of her youth and inexperience, I also wonder how many other men (and women) have made her uncomfortable because of who she is and her background. Like, because she is a female popstar, from a small town background, I wonder how many people have made her feel like her voice doesn’t count? The Chuck Klosterman interview was so cringey to read because every sentence he wrote just reeked of contempt. He came off so condescending, because he was some “journalist” for a “sophisticated men’s magazine,” and interviewing Britney Spears. 

• 1 year later...
  • Super Mods
7 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

I miss the days when she could just say whatever the **** she wanted. 

Yeah but now it makes sense why they have her now sticking to the script and only talking about her kids, Vegas and her boyfriend. She has loose lips because she’s just an honest person but obviously she stuck with retired bond villains :joanne:

No, I'm for real. The other day I had this new stylist and she was like 'Oh we need to get you the new blah collection,' and I went across the street to a little vintage place and bought a five-dollar shirt. If I go to an event and there's this crazy outfit from Prada, nuts, I'm going to wear it. But in everyday life I don't like the big hoop-la going on. I think it’s stupid when you see these guys necklaces, I think that shows a lack of something. Sorry!

Thats why I love her so much. She is f**king Britney Spears, but success has never gotten into her head. 

Archived