Why Britney never performed My Prerogative?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

1. It's a cover song

2. It came from greatest hits album and after that she went into hiatus and after it she has only performed better known songs or promoting new songs

3. She probably forget the whole song :jlostare:

I Love Rock N Roll is a cover song

Do Somethin came from the same greatest hits album

It was a bigger hit than Do Somethin

:ineedthetruth: 

Bobby went to court to prevent Britney to perform his song. MP was critically aclaimed, like a total reivention of the song and the music video was iconic. Maybe he was afraid of "Britney's apropriation". At least thats what I read about it like 2 years ago.

If someone can confirm or debunk this, please let me know :donewithit:

It was most likely stipulated by those who hold the publishing rights of the song that it must never be performed live. As stupid as that may seem in contrast to ILRNR, Satisfaction etc, whoever holds the rights can make whatever demands they like, within reason. When artists cover work, the copyright holders can offer as much or as little in regards to reproduction, distribution, performing or samples and interpolations pertaining to the original work. And if the terms of the contract is violated, then that is a breach of copyright law and she/her team/BMG are liable, and would be taken to court for at least a six figure sum.

Take for example Des'ree's "Kissing You". when Beyoncé wanted to cover it, two of the conditions that were publicised since were that the title was not altered, and she mustn't publish the song in video form. Since she changed the name to "Still In Love (Kissing You)", and initially released an accompanying video on the B'Day DVD, the terms of the agreement were violated and she was forced to recall all unsold copies and change the tracklist.

1 hour ago, Hungry Hun said:

Bobby went to court to prevent Britney to perform his song. MP was critically aclaimed, like a total reivention of the song and the music video was iconic. Maybe he was afraid of "Britney's apropriation". At least thats what I read about it like 2 years ago.

I found a interview of Bobby Brown that he says that he doesn't like MP's Britney version. 

http://www.contactmusic.com/bobby-brown/news/bobby-brown-pokes-fun-at-britney.s-prerogative

2 hours ago, Hungry Hun said:

I remember it was the song anniversary and Britney did the cover around that time, then Bobby was asked about it and he said he liked it amd wanted to do something for the anniversary but Britney did it first or something like that, he said he liked the verse she added and that the song was totally hers by then...I don't think he would do what u said after...who knows :mhmnod:

2 hours ago, yorkster said:

It was most likely stipulated by those who hold the publishing rights of the song that it must never be performed live. As stupid as that may seem in contrast to ILRNR, Satisfaction etc, whoever holds the rights can make whatever demands they like, within reason. When artists cover work, the copyright holders can offer as much or as little in regards to reproduction, distribution, performing or samples and interpolations pertaining to the original work. And if the terms of the contract is violated, then that is a breach of copyright law and she/her team/BMG are liable, and would be taken to court for at least a six figure sum.

Take for example Des'ree's "Kissing You". when Beyoncé wanted to cover it, two of the conditions that were publicised since were that the title was not altered, and she mustn't publish the song in video form. Since she changed the name to "Still In Love (Kissing You)", and initially released an accompanying video on the B'Day DVD, the terms of the agreement were violated and she was forced to recall all unsold copies and change the tracklist.

Oh wow I had no idea about this. I just assumed if Britney (or any artist) had the permission to record a cover of a song for one of their albums they could still perform it live.

Also that was stupid coming from Beyonce but why am I surprised? :mcorangu: 

4 hours ago, Dreamer26 said:

Maybe she doesn't have rights for performing this song. You know cuz It's originally Bobby Brown song.

You don't have to have the rights to perform it live. They would have to pay if they filmed her performing it and then sold the DVD. But not just to perform it.

4 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

1. It's a cover song

2. It came from greatest hits album and after that she went into hiatus and after it she has only performed better known songs or promoting new songs

3. She probably forget the whole song :jlostare:

She loves DS and performs it all the time

3 hours ago, billyjb26 said:

I Love Rock N Roll is a cover song

Do Somethin came from the same greatest hits album

It was a bigger hit than Do Somethin

:ineedthetruth: 

DS charted one spot higher than MP

Archived