Beyonce, Janet and others' choreos were not as hard as primeney's

Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
17 minutes ago, Chris343 said:

Why can't we just appreciate both, Janet is a natural impecibally talented dancer, and Britney obviously took inspiration from her, what's wrong with that. No one in this thread is bashing or trying to diminish primeney  (how could you), so there's no need to bring down Janet to compare. 

Personally I prefer primeney because I really enjoy when gymnastics is incorporated into choreo. These are some of my faves 

Flaw free imo

Exactly. And I looove that remix. The Circus Tour interlude slays, I know that's not the video but it's the same (iconic) remix.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jay Holiday said:

A lot of people sleep on Madonna as a dancer but little do a good chunk of people on here know that Madonna was a classically trained dancer before she became a recording artist. Madonna was in her 50's during her MDNA tour and her opening number breakdown for Girl Gone WIld /Material Girl is EVERYTHING and DAMN impressive for her being 50.

It never really showed in her videos, and she knows for her incredible videography. Artistry and message overshadowed it (but lets be honest, tha'ts definitely not a bad thing with Madonna's artistry!)

5 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

also, @button the 30 Year Anniversary performance was a tribute to this performance. All Britney did was fill in the part of the girl, and sing a verse, and then take her bow because she was a guest, but Michael's dance break in the tribute performance is far more basic than it was her. 

Michael Jackson was like 42, lol. Let’s see if Britney can even do that at 35

2 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Its a rehearsal for her first single, but still. 

Britney and Michael didn't dance because it 

Are we gonna pretend that Britney couldn't do that choreography at the dance break? That show took place over two dates, the show was rehearsed with just michael (his gig) and guest would just mark it (and they had a lot of guests, look it up). 

I'm not saying Janet isn't talent, or overrating her for that matter, Britney couldn't exist without Janet, but i'm not gonna tear her apart because of how she performs now. 

The BOMT rehearsal video is good but seriously MJ/Janet level? :whitney: even the girls practising with her (especially the one in white pants) are putting in more energy in the execution but u expect 1998 britney to dance with Mj? come on :whitney: she had very little experience here. At least if u're gonna post something, post a video form in the zone.

yes i know u're not saying Janet is untalented duh but you're saying she's not better than britney. or that britney is better than her even. (?)

I'm not tearing Britney apart though? I love Prime britney and live for her performances (Me against the Music SNL, VMA 2000, Slave 4 u at DWADW, Onyx hotel ect) but saying she's a better dancer than janet is going a bit too far. doesn't mean she wasn't great. just not better than janet. Janet's technique is vastly superior and her routines were a lot longer and more physically demanding.

1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I honestly have no clue. You can't pull the race card because MJ had huge numbers. 

I wasn't going to. You forgot Whitney Houston too. In fact, she as an African American woman got better numbers US numbers than Madonna in her first two albums and they were out during the same time. If Whitney kept it up, she would be the one who is the best selling female artist of all time.

Maybe internationally, there was too much comparison to her brother. I don't live in other countries so I would not know but I can not imagine her appeal being less than anyone. She has so many hardcore fans but it just did not rake in the numbers.

1 minute ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

but we're not talking about 35 year old Britney versus Michael Jackson at 42? we're talking about Primeney (20/21) doing it, do you think Britney couldn't do that?.

I thought we were comparing two artists in their respective primes? MJ wasn’t in his prime in 2001 :whitney:

Britney has always been the Janet Jackson for the TRL set & generation.  Her first few tours were modeled after Janet shows, particularly the "Oops!" tour.  But in no way was Britney in her prime a better dancer than Janet.  She definitely was the leading pop star from her generation with good visuals and dance routines but that's it. :brit:

1 hour ago, zxcvb said:

These two tours showcase Janet at her best in terms of elaborate choreography (and much better dancing than Britney ever has)

For those who can't watch those long videos, here's a great performance by her at age 40:

:clap: @ these examples right here.  

Her Velvet Rope Tour too is also a great example.

Can someone honestly explain why Janet's routines are better than Primeney's? I get that Janet was and is an incredible dancer, with incredible technique, but I genuinely don't see how her routines are harder, or more intricate than Britney's were? 

When I look at Janet's routines, I see an INSANE amount of professionalism, and sharpness, but I don't see routines anymore difficult than Slave,Toxic, Baby, Oops, Overprotect or any song from DWAD or Onyx. 

Britney wouldn't exist without Janet, but there was also no need for Janet's routines to be overtly difficult, because she had no rivals who could challenge her, and she set the bar for female pop acts that could dance. 

Maybe it is just me looking at in the same way we see ****** performance nowadays, and then look at Madonna singing like a virgin at the VMA's and think ''...this was controversial?'', and that I'm so used to seeing incredibly difficult routines from artists, but I would love someone to actual break it down and shed some light on it for me, because I really am interested.

8 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

I thought we were comparing two artists in their respective primes? MJ wasn’t in his prime in 2001 :whitney:

We weren't doing that either. We were comparing choreographies an their difficulties. Button brought up the performance, where neither of them danced until an incredibly basic dance break (especially compared to the original), which is why I asked if Britney couldn't do it.

5 minutes ago, Edge Of Clockin' You said:

Agree with every single word. I, as a dancer since I was 6, find Britney's choreos WAY harder to execute than Janet's, like it's a no brainer. I was executing Janet's dances by the age of 9, her choreographies are some of the first that we learned (I'm referring to some random video some random member posted somewhere in this thread).

That video is fire, if Janet ever did something anything as good and hard as that, then she's a beast, but I highly doubt that. I have to agree with Rolling Stones' readers, in my opinion, PrimeNey was a better dancer than Janet. If people disagree then cool, we can't agree on everything, jeez... Aren't we all still agreeing both are good?

I do think that kinda come down to the fact that we're not judging them AND the time they existed. Janet set the bar when there wasn't really a bar to set, because no one else did it. Britney was obviously gonna be compared to Janet. It doesn't take away from the technicality of a Janet routine, but it doesn't make it more complex either, and it doesn't mean that Janet couldn't do routines as complex as I think Britney's are either.

as I said, maybe it comes down to the fact that a Britney routine is kinda the standard I hold Female Pop Dance routines at, and was exposed to Britney before Janet (Janet is known worldwide, but she's nowhere near as big as she is in the US). Its like seeing (I don't know) Partition's music video and then watching madonna's like a virgin performance. The context isn't the same for a different audience, because they've seen it pushed further, and saw the original afterwards. They can appreciate both though.

1 hour ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Can someone honestly explain why Janet's routines are better than Primeney's? I get that Janet was and is an incredible dancer, with incredible technique, but I genuinely don't see how her routines are harder, or more intricate than Britney's were? 

When I look at Janet's routines, I see an INSANE amount of professionalism, and sharpness, but I don't see routines anymore difficult than Slave,Toxic, Baby, Oops, Overprotect or any song from DWAD or Onyx. 

Britney wouldn't exist without Janet, but there was also no need for Janet's routines to be overtly difficult, because she had no rivals who could challenge her, and she set the bar for female pop acts that could dance. 

Maybe it is just me looking at in the same way we see ****** performance nowadays, and then look at Madonna singing like a virgin at the VMA's and think ''...this was controversial?'', and that I'm so used to seeing incredibly difficult routines from artists, but I would love someone to actual break it down and shed some light on it for me, because I really am interested.

The only thing Britney has over Janet is her flexibility/gymnastics background, because aside from "Overprotected" where she does the splits or her double turns, I can see Janet doing all of these routines listed with relative ease.  Now can I see Britney doing the entire dance routine for "Rhythm Nation"?  No, tbh, I can't.  Unfortunately for Britney too she only hits her marks and routines when she feels like it, versus Janet (and, yes, even Beyoncé) who delivers all of the time no matter what.  At one point Britney was definitely a better dancer than her background dancers, but never Janet.  

Just now, Jill Valentine said:

The only thing Britney has over Janet is her flexibility/gymnastics background, because aside from "Overprotected" where she does the splits or her double turns, I can see Janet doing all of these routines listed with relative ease.  Now can I see Britney doing the entire dance routine for "Rhythm Nation"?  No, tbh, I can't.  Unfortunately for Britney too she only hits her marks and routines when she feels like it, versus Janet (and, yes, even Beyoncé) deliver all of the time no matter what.  At one point Britney was definitely a better dancer than her background dancers, but never Janet.  

I do get this argument that I've never seen Britney dance an entire song! so thank you!

Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
1 minute ago, Chris343 said:

Yess I love it too

:flawlessbye:

Iconic, can only be topped by this masterpiece of a video. Better than most music videos nowadays :flawlessbye: It really is underrated by this ungrateful fanbase :flawlessbye:

Archived