why is blackout so loved on here

CHAOTIC STYLE.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Style. said:

Cause I feel like the rest of the world doesn't know about its existence. Please, just don't tell me cause it was added to the rock and roll hall of fame. :sofedup:

Why wasn't nominated for a grammy? 

Grammys don't love Britney first (they can kiss her ***) and second a album nominated for a grammy isn't quality guaranteed... :outwithit:

1 minute ago, Pedro Dantas said:

The album is great but stans really overrate the impact it had. People were already doing electropop before her and the album underperformed commercially.

Yeah sure, find songs like Piece Of Me, Radar, Freakshow, etc... before 2007. 

It has more to do with people looking back in retrospect at the way in which that album exemplified what Britney was going through at that time and how she was shaping pop culture or tabloid culture I should say rather. Although at the time tabloid culture was pop culture. She was so overexposed and amidst all of her drama that the album was written off by people as a novelty, a joke. It had its success but overall was a commercial underperformance for her. The album lives on in the way that it sort of defined that specific era, but I dont think its AS impactful as the stans seem to romanticize it to be. Although I think a majority of pop music stans, whether they like britney or not, will acknowledge it as a good pop record if not one of her best. It definitely has some credibility or reputation now compared to when it was actually released.

4 minutes ago, ClarkKent said:

I mean quite honestly Blackout just had that Timbaland sound that was so prevalent at the time, mostly because Danja his protege was involved obviously. But I would say Loose by Nelly Furtado heavily inspired Blackout and had production that could absolutely compare with tracks like Maneater and Glow, etc. People focus on Blackout being electro based but it was also heavily urban as well. And everything was urban at the time. To me Blackout was a perfect reflection of its era, not necessarily as progressive as some people make it out to be.

1 minute ago, ClarkKent said:

On 07/07/2017 at 7:31 PM, cheri said:

no. i mean maybe it was a part of the influence behind the fame, Gaga likes britney. but blackout wasnt the original and it didnt introduce that sound either. bjork, moby, daft punk, robyn (who did the backing vocals for piece of me), roisin murphy (who Gaga copies/copied a lot) goldfrapp (madonna credited alison as one inspiration behind confessions) madonna + countless others were all doing it long before britney. madonna most notably with ray of light & confessions - the latter obviously being more dance driven plus it solidified a "comeback" for madonna after her american life era.

also kylie minogue's "x" album was released only a month after blackout - keep in mind that blackout was actually supposed to be released in november just like kylie's album but the leaks forced jive to rush release. "x" was recorded throughout 06 just like blackout which just supports the fact that electropop is where pop as a whole was headed at the time. plus kylie in general is known for recording electropop songs. britney wasn't ahead of anyone. people were releasing similar ****. heavy synths - electropop - 80s inspired hooks. 

remember how i said britney hired jr rotem in the early stages of blackout because she liked rihanna's sos? well sos sampled tainted love by soft cell & radar received many comparisons to tainted love as well as rihanna's sos. and remember how i said britney didn't work with danja until august 2006 which was a month after **** back had been released?

i'll give u another example. love angel music baby & the sweet escape album by gwen stefani - 2004 & 2006 releases. look at the album photoshoot of sweet escape then look at Gaga's look during the fame and such. also sean garrett worked on gwen's sweet escape album just like he did with britneys blackout. not saying gwen started anything but it's obvious where pop music was headed. blackouts producers were making that music with other pop singers at the same time/beforehand.

the uk scene (where kylie is majorly popular) has a huge pull on the u.s pop scene in general. that's what pop producers in the u.s look at. look at massive attack for instance, their mezzanine album is still influential. and i mean, listen to m.i.a's arular album (2005) - bucky done gun (2005) by m.i.a has electro influences for example - and then listen to things like wind it up by gwen. catch my drift? plus m.i.a was gwen's support act during gwen's harajuku lovers tour. m.i.a's stuff has younger diplo productions also

timbaland was incorporating electropop into his songs more often - and we cant forget that danja is timbaland's protege. "the way i are" by timbaland ft. keri hilson was released before blackout and it mixed hiphop with electropop as well. kid cudi cowrote that song and then he went on to work with kanye on 808s & heartbreak. yes 808s was released after blackout, but my point is these producers & songwriters had been on this vibe before blackout had even been released. it was getting more and more popular. plus no way kanye, someone who scours through obscure tracks from every decade in music so he can sample them, was being influenced by britney spears. especially since he had spoken about wanting to do that type of sound prior to blackouts release & had been making music fitting to that albums vibe prior to blackouts release (like i said, tracks like "stronger"). also kanye's song "stronger" sampled daft punk was recorded in 2006 & released in july 2007 - months before blackout came out and timbaland coproduced that 

i'd probably only credit britney's producers for bringing dubstep influence to the forefront of mainstream music. freakshow had its wobbles but it wasnt influential enough for dubstep to take off in the u.s - as proven by the fact that rihanna's "wait your turn" failed to enter the bb100 in 2009 but did much better on the UK singles chart back then.

dubstep was seeing a rise in popularity in the u.k, it was becoming increasingly popular in the u.k with people like skeam (magnetic man), benga and coki had a popular single going on in the u.k in late 2008 ("night"). so popstars like rihanna started to incorporate elements of that in their music in an attempt to bring it to the u.s in a major way. 

but again it wasnt catching on in the u.s yet. and europe usually is ahead when it comes to pop, it was like that with the 90s teen pop sensation. u.k initiated the pop phenomenon wave with the spice girls & such which in return influenced labels in the u.s to emulate and we all know britney's lolita image was a direct replica of baby spice. but obviously HIAM was the first popular pop song with a dubstep breakdown - even producers like madeon recognize that. because even though rihanna was working with chase & status in 09, her songs with them werent getting much commercial attention. anyways i hate dubstep & FF :tiffcackle: 

Thanks @cheri for this timeless tea. :kiss:

3 minutes ago, blacklistedd said:

It has more to do with people looking back in retrospect at the way in which that album exemplified what Britney was going through at that time and how she was shaping pop culture or tabloid culture I should say rather. Although at the time tabloid culture was pop culture. She was so overexposed and amidst all of her drama that the album was written off by people as a novelty, a joke. It had its success but overall was a commercial underperformance for her. The album lives on in the way that it sort of defined that specific era, but I dont think its AS impactful as the stans seem to romanticize it to be. Although I think a majority of pop music stans, whether they like britney or not, will acknowledge it as a good pop record if not one of her best.

My thoughts exactly. It's a freaking bad *** album but this whole situation on here about Blackout being the next Jesus it's kinda.... messy. Though I miss the tabloid culture somehow. :outwithit:

2 hours ago, cheri said:

u guys overrate the **** outta britney's music in general. it's not a bad thing to admit. she has some great songs but u act like she changed the ****** world with itz and blackout. itz is full of quasi-kylie tracks (mark taylor worked with kylie shitloads and we all know toxic was a kylie reject). toxic is the only innovative song shes ever released, period. and its nothing to be ashamed of. u guys are fans of the very definition of a modern popstar, meaning she releases music that appeals to the masses. not some revolutionary war hero **** sake :tiffcackle:

a popstar who has stopped caring about putting out good material about 10 years ago. :tiffcackle: imagine praising albums like Circus and femme fatale :tiffcackle:

Archived