When did the media and people turn against her?

brit4u1998

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alexanda said:

I think after the break up with Kevin, her partynights and the pictures on the first page on every magazine (not only gossip-magazines) :mattafact:

She still hasn't recovered yet in my country, at least they praising her body here and there.

The 2004 55 hour marriage was the first time I felt concerned for Britney. It felt 'off' to me. The breakdown era (2006 to 2008) had its roots from the 55 hour marriage. At least it was one of the breakdown's roots.

Since the beginning for being too ****** at 16, then the 2000 VMAs and her "naked" outfit. But it started getting way harsher in 2002 when she split up from Justin. After that it went downhill, I remember that people were even calling her fat on her 2002 DWAD tour :girlwhat:

3b02f20fcc40ef7b576e2754510ebe38--britne

then came the vma kiss, and as people like to say that MATM was a hit, it was a dud in the US. Toxic was what saved the era, and people were still calling her fat by then in 2004 on the Toxic performance at Ryan Seacrest's show

4f364ee63b6175200a29919612ca1cc7--britne

then the short marriage, the OHT tour controversies, k-fed... so she was considered white trash by then unfortunately

2 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

Since the beginning for being too ****** at 16, then the 2000 VMAs and her "naked" outfit. But it started getting way harsher in 2002 when she split up from Justin. After that it went downhill, I remember that people were even calling her fat on her 2002 DWAD tour :girlwhat:

3b02f20fcc40ef7b576e2754510ebe38--britne

then came the vma kiss, the short marriage, the OHT tour controversies, k-fed... so she was considered white trash by then unfortunately

I remember I was 14/15 years old in 2003, and by 2003, the general public and the media were vicious towards her. 

Just now, brit4u1998 said:

I remember I was 14/15 years old in 2003, and by 2003, the general public and the media were vicious towards her. 

i remember too (i added more stuff on my response btw :Lshark:)

the breast implants rumors in 1999 didn't help though it was funny when she made fun of it during her monologue on SNL

i think that she always had big criticism but was handled well by not caring much about it (****** outfits, DLMBTLTK video, Slave video, etc), but when the JT breakup happened people started seeing flaws that were more personal and intimate so that's where it started going downhill from there

I think the media has been against her since her beginning, with ups and downs. Let's not compare the media backlash during Oops with the one during BO.

And the GP started being against her post FF (specially FFTour). She started to lose support during the Circus Tour; however, Femme Fatale Tour was the beginning of the end, after watching how bad she was as a perfomer people decided to not support her (I don't blame them tbh). 

6 hours ago, Onyx1126 said:

As a Stan who's been through it all.. ppl started hating on her as soon as the OIDIA Era! There was a lot of gossip about her having breast implants & lip singing (which if funny because at the time she was actually singing live)

I remember back when there was dial up Internet (Dino Age) there was actually a site called Spear Britney.. it had a bunch of hate stuff and a lil game where you launched Spears at a cartoon of her...

When "Britney" came out it sold like 750K or something like that & at the time there was already talk that her star power was slipping because OIDIA had sold 1Mil its first week.. Slave, Not a Girl, Overprotected & Boys all failed to have the same hit power that her previous singles had.. then "Crossroads" was panned as well.. The DWAD Tour of course was thriving!!

When ITZ came out there was a lot of gossip, people complaining that she was trying to be ****** for attention.. MATM did not gain on radio & a lot of media portrayed her career as being close to it's expiration date.. a lot of female artists at the time had gained on radio & charts that marketed themselves as the "Anti Britney".. Movies we're taking shots at her.. memorably Final Destination 3 where the girls go tanning & find a Britney cd & go "eeew what kind of losers listen to this" .. of course they get fried lololol Toxic actually really saved ITZ... it was probably the best thing to happen for Britney & I believe Toxic is what really set her up as being a trend setter in Top 40 sound! 

The Onyx Tour sold slower than the other tours & had weak reviews.. it was really when critics started to write that she was a "Vegas Act", "Showgirl" instead of an actual artist.. 

Then came the knee injury, the cancelled shows & K-Fed (ugh) that's when it all really got bad.. My Perogative was panned... the media really started going in & Britney started to do odd things.. like walk barefoot into a gas station bathroom, eat tons of fast food & then the hillbilly stuff started... by media standards her career was over & the public started to buy into tearing her down as much so as they rose her up!!!

"Blackout" was big for Britney!! I think that her whole image being tarnished really opened her up to fans again because they didn't view her as being too perfect anymore.. girls that grew to be jealous of her now felt a connection to her & the music was underground/club & fit right into what her base was listening too.. that's when her career was on a good track again because it had gotten so bad that now ppl were rooting for her to come back!! 

The rest is self explanatory.. she is loved one min, hated on the next.. it's been up & down from the beginning & right now we are just at a stand still waiting for the next big shoe to drop! I think that her 20th Anniversary will spark interest & reignite her flame & if they play it right it can be a really successful B10 

I love 2007ney. Her ****-off attitude was everything to me:urite:

16 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

i remember too (i added more stuff on my response btw :Lshark:)

the breast implants rumors in 1999 didn't help though it was funny when she made fun of it during her monologue on SNL

i think that she always had big criticism but was handled well by not caring much about it (****** outfits, DLMBTLTK video, Slave video, etc), but when the JT breakup happened people started seeing flaws that were more personal and intimate so that's where it started going downhill from there

I remember watching a 2003 documentary, and she started getting pissed at the paparazzi following her! :mattafact:

7 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh, as much as there was people that loved her back then, naturally, the haters always existed, but it was kinda neutralized. People always criticized her outfits, if she was too ****, questioned her virginity, her talent, etc.

The turning point however, I think it was the breakup with Justin, kissing Madonna onstage, the 55 hrs marriage, K-Fed, everything that happened around that time. I suppose it was different for everybody, depending on which was the latest news they heard first. Suddenly it wasn't that cool anymore to like Britney Spears or her music.

I think the breakup with JT, putting her as the cheater, was just the beginning, everything just went down from there, questioning her motherhood, partying with Paris and Lindsay, the no underwear pictures, shaving her head, the umbrella, even the "Leave Britney alone" video had more impact than it's usually said. Suddenly everybody would make the connection of being a Britney fan = being just like Chris Croker in that video. The VMA's, GM video. You can take anything from the JT breakup till before Circus, and that surely was the turning point for somebody that used to like her before all the scandal.

After that, I don't think anything has been that relevant to be considered a turning point, not even BJ had that much of a negative impact as many try to make it seem in here. It sure didn't help her career at all, but it didn't make any damage, because simply nobody even knew she released that album. Even PG video, which got so much more attention, was rapidly forgotten in the following months.

However, in recent years, I suddenly started to see a lot of Britney love from the media, and gossip sites, and bloggers, etc., something I didn't notice, for example, back in the FF era to say something. The GP, currently, I don't think they're like turned against her, she's just not in their map anymore.

True. I said previously that people started being against her post-FF. But, it's true that people were quite bitchy before. So, it would be more correct to say that after FF tour people started to not care about her anymore (which is probably even worse)

the hate has always been there from the media and general public but in 2004 the media was saying her show was too ****** and she was lipsyncing too much, then in 2005 + 2006 they started with the personal pics, pap pics of her with her kids saying she's a bad mother...that's when the general public got more involved...the partying in 2006+2007 took it to a whole new level. it was manily the media against her.

11 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh, as much as there was people that loved her back then, naturally, the haters always existed, but it was kinda neutralized. People always criticized her outfits, if she was too ****, questioned her virginity, her talent, etc.

The turning point however, I think it was the breakup with Justin, kissing Madonna onstage, the 55 hrs marriage, K-Fed, everything that happened around that time. I suppose it was different for everybody, depending on which was the latest news they heard first. Suddenly it wasn't that cool anymore to like Britney Spears or her music.

I think the breakup with JT, putting her as the cheater, was just the beginning, everything just went down from there, questioning her motherhood, partying with Paris and Lindsay, the no underwear pictures, shaving her head, the umbrella, even the "Leave Britney alone" video had more impact than it's usually said. Suddenly everybody would make the connection of being a Britney fan = being just like Chris Croker in that video. The VMA's, GM video. You can take anything from the JT breakup till before Circus, and that surely was the turning point for somebody that used to like her before all the scandal.

After that, I don't think anything has been that relevant to be considered a turning point, not even BJ had that much of a negative impact as many try to make it seem in here. It sure didn't help her career at all, but it didn't make any damage, because simply nobody even knew she released that album. Even PG video, which got so much more attention, was rapidly forgotten in the following months.

However, in recent years, I suddenly started to see a lot of Britney love from the media, and gossip sites, and bloggers, etc., something I didn't notice, for example, back in the FF era to say something. The GP, currently, I don't think they're like turned against her, she's just not in their map anymore.

Did Britney or her team ever address the Chris Crocker video? Do you think she's seen it :idkney:

13 hours ago, brit4u1998 said:

Two questions, actually.

1. When did the media turn against Britney Spears?

2. When did the general public turn against her?

There must have been a turning point. Or was it a slow buildup over time??

Just curious for your answers. :mattafact:

I think it was after she and justin broke up. Justin really threw her under the bus and Britney has always been an easy target.

12 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yes, this. You were more accurate than me. :verycool:

5 hours ago, ovoxo said:

Did Britney or her team ever address the Chris Crocker video? Do you think she's seen it :idkney:

I was wondering the same as I was typing it lol I really don't know. I'm sure someone must have shown it to her, but if she ever saw it, I don't think she took it seriously, probably she must've felt that he was mocking her. Well, who knows, but if I was Britney I wouldn't feel flattered about that, because it obviously isn't a normal behavior, like you know, a normal fan that's defending her, that video was just very awkward and unnecessary.

10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I was wondering the same as I was typing it lol I really don't know. I'm sure someone must have shown it to her, but if she ever saw it, I don't think she took it seriously, probably she must've felt that he was mocking her. Well, who knows, but if I was Britney I wouldn't feel flattered about that, because it obviously isn't a normal behavior, like you know, a normal fan that's defending her, that video was just very awkward and unnecessary.

That video was really everywhere back then. I think it was even on CNN. I feel like she had to see it. I wonder what her reaction was. Something like this :squintney:

but yeah I think that video was mainly an attention ploy

I think that by 2003, Britney was overexposed and people kind of turned against her just for that reason. She was at her peak in 2003 and people were jealous. I loved her in 2003, but kind of ignored the tabloids because Britney was so gossiped about and overexposed then!

On 5.08.2017 at 9:29 AM, Onyx1126 said:

As a Stan who's been through it all.. ppl started hating on her as soon as the OIDIA Era! There was a lot of gossip about her having breast implants & lip singing (which if funny because at the time she was actually singing live)

I remember back when there was dial up Internet (Dino Age) there was actually a site called Spear Britney.. it had a bunch of hate stuff and a lil game where you launched Spears at a cartoon of her...

When "Britney" came out it sold like 750K or something like that & at the time there was already talk that her star power was slipping because OIDIA had sold 1Mil its first week.. Slave, Not a Girl, Overprotected & Boys all failed to have the same hit power that her previous singles had.. then "Crossroads" was panned as well.. The DWAD Tour of course was thriving!!

When ITZ came out there was a lot of gossip, people complaining that she was trying to be ****** for attention.. MATM did not gain on radio & a lot of media portrayed her career as being close to it's expiration date.. a lot of female artists at the time had gained on radio & charts that marketed themselves as the "Anti Britney".. Movies we're taking shots at her.. memorably Final Destination 3 where the girls go tanning & find a Britney cd & go "eeew what kind of losers listen to this" .. of course they get fried lololol Toxic actually really saved ITZ... it was probably the best thing to happen for Britney & I believe Toxic is what really set her up as being a trend setter in Top 40 sound! 

The Onyx Tour sold slower than the other tours & had weak reviews.. it was really when critics started to write that she was a "Vegas Act", "Showgirl" instead of an actual artist.. 

Then came the knee injury, the cancelled shows & K-Fed (ugh) that's when it all really got bad.. My Perogative was panned... the media really started going in & Britney started to do odd things.. like walk barefoot into a gas station bathroom, eat tons of fast food & then the hillbilly stuff started... by media standards her career was over & the public started to buy into tearing her down as much so as they rose her up!!!

"Blackout" was big for Britney!! I think that her whole image being tarnished really opened her up to fans again because they didn't view her as being too perfect anymore.. girls that grew to be jealous of her now felt a connection to her & the music was underground/club & fit right into what her base was listening too.. that's when her career was on a good track again because it had gotten so bad that now ppl were rooting for her to come back!! 

The rest is self explanatory.. she is loved one min, hated on the next.. it's been up & down from the beginning & right now we are just at a stand still waiting for the next big shoe to drop! I think that her 20th Anniversary will spark interest & reignite her flame & if they play it right it can be a really successful B10 

Couldn't agree more!

I've always felt about Britney that in her media presence there isn't some kind of connection who she is as a human being and as a Britney Spears, the star. In some point she lost her way of growing as an artist. She is not a dumb person, but people seemed to see her that way. Also she seemed no to care for her art and that made her "fake" to some people. I think a lot of personal stuff but also breaking out from her previous image led to the breakdown, which made her kinda iconic. It's a pity she haven't opened up about her past, especially in music as an artist. It would be so amazing for her and us to release a REAL personal album with only her lyrics about her past, her message to the world with changing musical direction. Now, she is only a singer and only in a recording studios, without any message. It's sad in some point

Archived