When did the media and people turn against her?

brit4u1998

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the JT mess in 2002, followed by the amount of exposure during 2003, plus the Vma's kiss, plus the bunch of scandals during 2004 and the stupid marriage with a "nobody" who ended up being a **** as a husband and father. By 2006 her image was very bad but she could still save herself but with the 2007 -08 tragedy the damage was all done. Nothing could have erased that. She had a great welcoming but those images from her dark days made people take her less serious as a singer rather than a celebrity in trouble. 

Ofc, many things have contributed to that: playback, no promotion, no connection with GP and even with is her fans. 

Tbh, as much as there was people that loved her back then, naturally, the haters always existed, but it was kinda neutralized. People always criticized her outfits, if she was too ****, questioned her virginity, her talent, etc.

The turning point however, I think it was the breakup with Justin, kissing Madonna onstage, the 55 hrs marriage, K-Fed, everything that happened around that time. I suppose it was different for everybody, depending on which was the latest news they heard first. Suddenly it wasn't that cool anymore to like Britney Spears or her music.

I think the breakup with JT, putting her as the cheater, was just the beginning, everything just went down from there, questioning her motherhood, partying with Paris and Lindsay, the no underwear pictures, shaving her head, the umbrella, even the "Leave Britney alone" video had more impact than it's usually said. Suddenly everybody would make the connection of being a Britney fan = being just like Chris Croker in that video. The VMA's, GM video. You can take anything from the JT breakup till before Circus, and that surely was the turning point for somebody that used to like her before all the scandal.

After that, I don't think anything has been that relevant to be considered a turning point, not even BJ had that much of a negative impact as many try to make it seem in here. It sure didn't help her career at all, but it didn't make any damage, because simply nobody even knew she released that album. Even PG video, which got so much more attention, was rapidly forgotten in the following months.

However, in recent years, I suddenly started to see a lot of Britney love from the media, and gossip sites, and bloggers, etc., something I didn't notice, for example, back in the FF era to say something. The GP, currently, I don't think they're like turned against her, she's just not in their map anymore.

I think parents always had an issue with her being young and dressing more ****. But who cares? Parents always had an issue. Blah.

I remember Her relationship with kevin (taking this man who had a pregnant fiancé back home) esp year after the VMAs kiss really started making ppl turn their noses up to her honestly. That was when the talk went from oh she's a bad role model for kids because she shows her stomach to oh she's  trailer trash. And her actions once she had kids didn't help..

5 minutes ago, brit4u1998 said:

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. The things that led to her breakdown era.

I don't think ppl outside of her personal life  led to her breakdown tbh That was within Britney and her circle.

A switch was obviously when she got more ****** she lost some fans and ppl started criticizing her appearance and things she was doing. The JT fiasco was also another hit to her image.

I think the biggest issue during ITZ is that she was so overexposed by that point. Even though her team probably didn't want to with or without the knee injury her career needed a break.

Unfortunately the choices she made on break was the huge straw. Kevin the trashy guy and she started acting like a bad girl, to say. Plus chaotic didn't help, the incidents with her kids also was a major criticizing point. 

It just all added up 

3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh, as much as there was people that loved her back then, naturally, the haters always existed, but it was kinda neutralized. People always criticized her outfits, if she was too ****, questioned her virginity, her talent, etc.

The turning point however, I think it was the breakup with Justin, kissing Madonna onstage, the 55 hrs marriage, K-Fed, everything that happened around that time. I suppose it was different for everybody, depending on which was the latest news they heard first. Suddenly it wasn't that cool anymore to like Britney Spears or her music.

I think the breakup with JT, putting her as the cheater, was just the beginning, everything just went down from there, questioning her motherhood, partying with Paris and Lindsay, the no underwear pictures, shaving her head, the umbrella, even the "Leave Britney alone" video had more impact than it's usually said. Suddenly everybody would make the connection of being a Britney fan = being just like Chris Croker in that video. The VMA's, GM video. You can take anything from the JT breakup till before Circus, and that surely was the turning point for somebody that used to like her before all the scandal.

After that, I don't think anything has been that relevant to be considered a turning point, not even BJ had that much of a negative impact as many try to make it seem in here. It sure didn't help her career at all, but it didn't make any damage, because simply nobody even knew she released that album. Even PG video, which got so much more attention, was rapidly forgotten in the following months.

However, in recent years, I suddenly started to see a lot of Britney love from the media, and gossip sites, and bloggers, etc., something I didn't notice, for example, back in the FF era to say something. The GP, currently, I don't think they're like turned against her, she's just not in their map anymore.

Omg How did I forget about the 55 hour marriage?? 

Thanks, everyone!

I think it REALLY started in late 2001 with I'm A Slave 4 U. I noticed even some of her young fans might have left her, starting this era. This was the beginning, and the root, of people turning against her.

The media, however, was still, MOSTLY, on friendly terms with Britney in late 2001. I noticed that by 2003, some interviewers were snarky and/or sarcastic with her by 2003. 

19 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

I think parents always had an issue with her being young and dressing more ****. But who cares? Parents always had an issue. Blah.

I remember Her relationship with kevin (taking this man who had a pregnant fiancé back home) esp year after the VMAs kiss really started making ppl turn their noses up to her honestly. That was when the talk went from oh she's a bad role model for kids because she shows her stomach to oh she's  trailer trash. And her actions once she had kids didn't help..

Britney had no ***** to give because she was and still is living life the way she wants to

20 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

I don't think ppl outside of her personal life  led to her breakdown tbh That was within Britney and her circle.

A switch was obviously when she got more ****** she lost some fans and ppl started criticizing her appearance and things she was doing. The JT fiasco was also another hit to her image.

I think the biggest issue during ITZ is that she was so overexposed by that point. Even though her team probably didn't want to with or without the knee injury her career needed a break.

Unfortunately the choices she made on break was the huge straw. Kevin the trashy guy and she started acting like a bad girl, to say. Plus chaotic didn't help, the incidents with her kids also was a major criticizing point. 

It just all added up 

Britney had no ***** to give to outside opinon because she was more interested in being herself

To this day, is very unapologetic about it

1 hour ago, brit4u1998 said:

Two questions, actually.

1. When did the media turn against Britney Spears?

2. When did the general public turn against her?

There must have been a turning point. Or was it a slow buildup over time??

Just curious for your answers. :mattafact:

When the gp and fans realized that she is fooling around and dont take her job seriously as an artist

As a Stan who's been through it all.. ppl started hating on her as soon as the OIDIA Era! There was a lot of gossip about her having breast implants & lip singing (which if funny because at the time she was actually singing live)

I remember back when there was dial up Internet (Dino Age) there was actually a site called Spear Britney.. it had a bunch of hate stuff and a lil game where you launched Spears at a cartoon of her...

When "Britney" came out it sold like 750K or something like that & at the time there was already talk that her star power was slipping because OIDIA had sold 1Mil its first week.. Slave, Not a Girl, Overprotected & Boys all failed to have the same hit power that her previous singles had.. then "Crossroads" was panned as well.. The DWAD Tour of course was thriving!!

When ITZ came out there was a lot of gossip, people complaining that she was trying to be ****** for attention.. MATM did not gain on radio & a lot of media portrayed her career as being close to it's expiration date.. a lot of female artists at the time had gained on radio & charts that marketed themselves as the "Anti Britney".. Movies we're taking shots at her.. memorably Final Destination 3 where the girls go tanning & find a Britney cd & go "eeew what kind of losers listen to this" .. of course they get fried lololol Toxic actually really saved ITZ... it was probably the best thing to happen for Britney & I believe Toxic is what really set her up as being a trend setter in Top 40 sound! 

The Onyx Tour sold slower than the other tours & had weak reviews.. it was really when critics started to write that she was a "Vegas Act", "Showgirl" instead of an actual artist.. 

Then came the knee injury, the cancelled shows & K-Fed (ugh) that's when it all really got bad.. My Perogative was panned... the media really started going in & Britney started to do odd things.. like walk barefoot into a gas station bathroom, eat tons of fast food & then the hillbilly stuff started... by media standards her career was over & the public started to buy into tearing her down as much so as they rose her up!!!

"Blackout" was big for Britney!! I think that her whole image being tarnished really opened her up to fans again because they didn't view her as being too perfect anymore.. girls that grew to be jealous of her now felt a connection to her & the music was underground/club & fit right into what her base was listening too.. that's when her career was on a good track again because it had gotten so bad that now ppl were rooting for her to come back!! 

The rest is self explanatory.. she is loved one min, hated on the next.. it's been up & down from the beginning & right now we are just at a stand still waiting for the next big shoe to drop! I think that her 20th Anniversary will spark interest & reignite her flame & if they play it right it can be a really successful B10 

6 minutes ago, Onyx1126 said:

As a Stan who's been through it all.. ppl started hating on her as soon as the OIDIA Era! There was a lot of gossip about her having breast implants & lip singing (which if funny because at the time she was actually singing live)

I remember back when there was dial up Internet (Dino Age) there was actually a site called Spear Britney.. it had a bunch of hate stuff and a lil game where you launched Spears at a cartoon of her...

When "Britney" came out it sold like 750K or something like that & at the time there was already talk that her star power was slipping because OIDIA had sold 1Mil its first week.. Slave, Not a Girl, Overprotected & Boys all failed to have the same hit power that her previous singles had.. then "Crossroads" was panned as well.. The DWAD Tour of course was thriving!!

When ITZ came out there was a lot of gossip, people complaining that she was trying to be ****** for attention.. MATM did not gain on radio & a lot of media portrayed her career as being close to it's expiration date.. a lot of female artists at the time had gained on radio & charts that marketed themselves as the "Anti Britney".. Movies we're taking shots at her.. memorably Final Destination 3 where the girls go tanning & find a Britney cd & go "eeew what kind of losers listen to this" .. of course they get fried lololol Toxic actually really saved ITZ... it was probably the best thing to happen for Britney & I believe Toxic is what really set her up as being a trend setter in Top 40 sound! 

The Onyx Tour sold slower than the other tours & had weak reviews.. it was really when critics started to write that she was a "Vegas Act", "Showgirl" instead of an actual artist.. 

Then came the knee injury, the cancelled shows & K-Fed (ugh) that's when it all really got bad.. My Perogative was panned... the media really started going in & Britney started to do odd things.. like walk barefoot into a gas station bathroom, eat tons of fast food & then the hillbilly stuff started... by media standards her career was over & the public started to buy into tearing her down as much so as they rose her up!!!

"Blackout" was big for Britney!! I think that her whole image being tarnished really opened her up to fans again because they didn't view her as being too perfect anymore.. girls that grew to be jealous of her now felt a connection to her & the music was underground/club & fit right into what her base was listening too.. that's when her career was on a good track again because it had gotten so bad that now ppl were rooting for her to come back!! 

The rest is self explanatory.. she is loved one min, hated on the next.. it's been up & down from the beginning & right now we are just at a stand still waiting for the next big shoe to drop! I think that her 20th Anniversary will spark interest & reignite her flame & if they play it right it can be a really successful B10 

I almost forgot about Britney's breast implant rumor roughly in 1999. Wow, time flies by!

MEDIA>

- As mentioned, I agree the first small hint that media was turning against her was during the Oops era (breasts, sexier image)

- During the Britney era it all started going downhill, and a lot, mainly after breaking up with Justin, Crossroads movie

- At the same time, even though it was more negative, Britney was hugely mentioned in media during 2001-2004 regarding whatever she did personally and career-wise

- People were interested in her a lot and so when she stopped producing music and showing herself that much (2005), people still wanted to see her and so media had to come up with something. So she was scrutinized. 

- Remember that the interest was that huge when she showed up in some TV Show or movie it was the most watched in aged, she could sell anything

- Then the shift with people turning against her was coming and the media just turned harder / Madonna kiss, marriage with Jason, Kevin, etc.

- Then Paris fiasco turned everything up. Since that time it was going downhill with Britney and media just followed. 

PEOPLE>

- First time people started turning against her was for sure the beginning of Britney era, as she hugely changed her image

- There was a Britney madness as she was everywhere (Pepsi, merchandising, commercials, TV and radio) so people started to be "allergic" to her

- Also she portrayed herself super girly and a lot of guys turned on her (during BOMT and Oops more guys were fans)

- ITZ era was the biggest shift in her career, she lost all the kids as fans but gained another type of fans - older, young adults, etc. Of course the number of fans was a lot smaller than during the BOMT era but still she had a huge fanbase still. Toxic saved the era a lot as well and Britney for sure gained fans

- The biggest loss was in the end of ITZ era and Britney finding Kevin, marrying Jason as well, and being a "bad mama". After that the breakdown came and she lost almost every one.

22 minutes ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

Tbh didn't start with the 2000 vma's? People were pressed about her Oops striptease and were judging about her nude coloured outfit. There's a video where Britney watches what everyone said about it so I'd say that was when it all truly started and then the other events happened

The 2000 VMA's definitely planted the seeds in the ground. It was kind of a preview of her I'm A Slave 4 U video in 2001. 

But I don't think that people were vicious yet towards Britney during the 2000 VMA's, even if they thought that her performance was too racy. I think that by the IAS4U video, people saw her as kind of too ****** and overt.

2 hours ago, Daredevil said:

MEDIA>

- As mentioned, I agree the first small hint that media was turning against her was during the Oops era (breasts, sexier image)

- During the Britney era it all started going downhill, and a lot, mainly after breaking up with Justin, Crossroads movie

- At the same time, even though it was more negative, Britney was hugely mentioned in media during 2001-2004 regarding whatever she did personally and career-wise

- People were interested in her a lot and so when she stopped producing music and showing herself that much (2005), people still wanted to see her and so media had to come up with something. So she was scrutinized. 

- Remember that the interest was that huge when she showed up in some TV Show or movie it was the most watched in aged, she could sell anything

- Then the shift with people turning against her was coming and the media just turned harder / Madonna kiss, marriage with Jason, Kevin, etc.

- Then Paris fiasco turned everything up. Since that time it was going downhill with Britney and media just followed. 

PEOPLE>

- First time people started turning against her was for sure the beginning of Britney era, as she hugely changed her image

- There was a Britney madness as she was everywhere (Pepsi, merchandising, commercials, TV and radio) so people started to be "allergic" to her

- Also she portrayed herself super girly and a lot of guys turned on her (during BOMT and Oops more guys were fans)

- ITZ era was the biggest shift in her career, she lost all the kids as fans but gained another type of fans - older, young adults, etc. Of course the number of fans was a lot smaller than during the BOMT era but still she had a huge fanbase still. Toxic saved the era a lot as well and Britney for sure gained fans

- The biggest loss was in the end of ITZ era and Britney finding Kevin, marrying Jason as well, and being a "bad mama". After that the breakdown came and she lost almost every one.

The first time people saw Britney as imperfect was the 2002 Justin/Britney breakup, definitely. It left a crack so that people could criticize her even more.

Archived