Why hasn't female top stars after Britney competed Britney's peak/prime?

KatLove

5 hours ago, button said:

I don't get why u're calling the Britney era a massive flop. Yes, the album didn't produce any hits in the US but it was still selling very well without any, so who cares?

We're not going to call, say, Stripped a successful era because it had radio/chart hits (Beautiful, Fighter) and Britney a massive flop when the US album sales look like this, are we?

Britney: 5,200,000

Stripped: 4,600,000

http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-britney-spears-popularity-analysis-new/6/

http://chartmasters.org/2017/03/cspc-christina-aguilera-popularity-analysis/6/

Not to mention the DAWD tour which grossed 72M $ (2016) solely from US dates (and 1 Japan date).

Also didn't Britney top Forbes in 2002? She was more than fine during the Britney era. She didn't need to be saved like u're putting it.

Although I'm not quite sure why the talk is only about the US.

When I think of peak/prime, I think of an artist's success + their reach to the general public + positive/negative press/attention.  I just don't think Britney was visible enough to non-fans during this part of her career, or overwhelmingly loved.

I feel Britney was her Bangerz, ARTPOP, Witness, etc. It was the beginning of Britney as a tabloid target in addition to music, as soon as her and Justin broke up / Cry Me A River.

I only say US because I don't know what the Britney era experience was like worldwide. I was younger and it just seems like that's when everyone started bashing her because she'd started showing more skin and leaving behind the innocent image.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

You're aware the singles from Britney only flopped because of the Clear Channel radio ban right? Regardless of how they peaked in the US, the album still sold well, the tour grossed well and if we go yes... outside the US, most if not all of the singles were international hits. In the Zone also had big hits WW and sold well, Toxic has arguably become her biggest track that still gets more daily streams than her "peak" Oops, so what's the tea sis? :forkit:

When did the radio ban start and why? Was this news? :lostney:

9 hours ago, blacklistedd said:

I absolutely think Gaga did with The Fame+Monster, it was just a short lived phenomena. I also think Britney was the last pop star to blow up in a time when physical album and single sales were a mill+ on average.

You cannot compare record sales from 2001 to record sales post-2005. You really just can't. I know a lot of you try and call b/s on that but the rise of itunes and every other form of digital media and streaming warps expectations in terms of physical sales. You could argue Taylor Swift or Adele rival her based on numbers alone but quite honestly all they have are numbers. They weren't an all encompassing phenomenon as Britney was and honestly Gaga was. But like i already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, a lot of Britney stans either hate Lady Gaga or love to shade her so this opinion is obviously going to be an unpopular one. Im already waiting for an opposing response. And honestly its hard to say if someone like Ariana could have reached that same status if the landscape of the music industry was what it was back in britneys peak. The dominance of the internet and social media has forever changed the game, I dont think any one pop star can undoubtedly rule as hard as the past icons have (Britney, MJ, etc) because the way things are now simply wont allow it. Gaga is literally the only one thats gotten there and quite honestly Beyonce has in the states. Apparently worldwide beyonce isnt as prevalent? Supposedly.

I agree with you. 

I think from 2008-2010 Gaga was certainly close to Britney's peak in terms of fame and success though it's hard to compare. 

And as much as I dislike Beyonce she is definitely up there. But it would be difficult for anyone to rival MJ or Madonna these days. Celebrity culture is too saturated; with reality TV, social media, and the rise of celebrity culture there's just a LOT more famous people than there ever has been. That makes it hard for one person to have a huge impact.

2 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

When did the radio ban start and why? Was this news? :lostney:

Basically Clear Channel was pissed that Britney went with Pepsi for the DWAD tour sponsor so CC stayed pressed and released statements to their stations that it would be in their best interest to not play any of Britney's singles. Most stations listened, some didn't. Basically, Slave, Pepsi, Austin Powers and TRL carried the era in the US. It really doesn't make any sense that the singles were smash hits internationally but duds in her home market right?

https://web.archive.org/web/20130102221344/http://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
13 hours ago, KatLove said:

I was watching old videos and it got me thinking, since the 21st century Britney is the ultimate pop star and her peak/prime was the largest the world has ever seen in the 21st century. Like How MJ and Madonna were in the 20th century. Why is it 17 years into the 21st century the top females like Taylor, Adele, Beyonce, Katy, Gaga ever had that peak/prime that Britney had and changed the game in pop music and culture and had so many iconic moments? Also, the top females can't even rival Britney's *** appeal/icon in pop music like she was in her prime. So is it because music today has lost its purpose and art? Or society has changed so much the world doesn't want a mega superstar to emerge and change the game?

Also, I have to ask, was Britney behind all of her iconic moments? Her music videos, fashion style(that made her body look amazing in photos and videos), her stage performances? I have to know because people have said she's just a puppet and not creative at all or that she wasn't behind what made her "Britney Spears".

No one has ever really had THAT which Britney has, she was 100% perfect even with the lip syncing, even LA Reid said that he's seen people go crazy for Rihanna/Beyonce/Jay Z (he's one of the chiefs of their labels) but not in the same way as Britney and said that she was like Marilyn Monroe... He said this 'People go crazy for Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z. I've seen them go crazy for Rihanna. But this? Britney has the same magic that made Marilyn Monroe famous, that intangible ability to be completely loved and for people to be completely consumed by her everything'.

I was a baby during her peak, but I have an idea of how big it was. No one ever topped it even tho Gaga came somewhat close, I'd say she has had the biggest peak SINCE Britney's. I  just remembered that I had another friend in my class that liked her, we both liked her, but as of what my youngest aunt says, the entire school loved Britney. 

8 hours ago, button said:

I don't get why u're calling the Britney era a massive flop. Yes, the album didn't produce any hits in the US but it was still selling very well without any, so who cares?

We're not going to call, say, Stripped a successful era because it had radio/chart hits (Beautiful, Fighter) and Britney a massive flop when the US album sales look like this, are we?

Britney: 5,200,000

Stripped: 4,600,000

http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-britney-spears-popularity-analysis-new/6/

http://chartmasters.org/2017/03/cspc-christina-aguilera-popularity-analysis/6/

Not to mention the DAWD tour which grossed 72M $ (2016) solely from US dates (and 1 Japan date).

Also didn't Britney top Forbes in 2002? She was more than fine during the Britney era. She didn't need to be saved like u're putting it.

Although I'm not quite sure why the talk is only about the US.

Still to this day I didn't get why Slave peaked at 27 in the US (I think) and it is so huge nowadays, here in the UK, me and my cousin had a party last year and all the teen girls (14,15,16) went crazy for Slave and sang almost every single word... I guess it was really because of the radio ban that I've briefly heard about here... even in the US, I'd say it's her 5th biggest song in terms of how iconic/unforgettable it is and how many people know it...

51 minutes ago, Edge Of Leaving said:

Still to this day I didn't get why Slave peaked at 27 in the US (I think) and it is so huge nowadays, here in the UK, me and my cousin had a party last year and all the teen girls (14,15,16) went crazy for Slave and sang almost every single word... I guess it was really because of the radio ban that I've briefly heard about here... even in the US, I'd say it's her 5th biggest song in terms of how iconic/unforgettable it is and how many people know it...

Outside of BOMT, Britney never released a song physically to go on sale in the US. So Slave charted mainly from airplay and since radio didn't support Slave all the way (it peaked only at #15 on pop), it only peaked at #27.

Slave could have been a top 10 like Crazy, which also charted on airplay and reached #10.

The song was a top 10 chart hit everywhere else. It's even bigger than her debut single and Oops in many parts of Asia. (ie: Thailand, South Korea)

18 minutes ago, button said:

Outside of BOMT, Britney never released a song physically to go on sale in the US. So Slave charted mainly from airplay and since radio didn't support Slave all the way (it peaked only at #15 on pop), it only peaked at #27.

Slave could have been a top 10 like Crazy, which also charted on airplay and reached #10.

The song was a top 10 chart hit everywhere else. It's even bigger than her debut single and Oops in many parts of Asia. (ie: Thailand, South Korea)

I didn't know about that... how 'smart' from them, it's like dropping a single everywhere apart from itunes... Now a lot of strange peaks make sense... Thanks for that.

4 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

When I think of peak/prime, I think of an artist's success + their reach to the general public + positive/negative press/attention.  I just don't think Britney was visible enough to non-fans during this part of her career, or overwhelmingly loved.

I feel Britney was her Bangerz, ARTPOP, Witness, etc. It was the beginning of Britney as a tabloid target in addition to music, as soon as her and Justin broke up / Cry Me A River.

I only say US because I don't know what the Britney era experience was like worldwide. I was younger and it just seems like that's when everyone started bashing her because she'd started showing more skin and leaving behind the innocent image.

Didn't her break-up happen after the Britney era though? She was still "America's sweetheart" during the Britney era. What confuses me is that u absolutely want to include Born This way for Gaga when at point she had clearly become a very polarizing figure.

Britney was the face of pepsi's commercials during the Britney era though. How was she not visible enough to non-fans? Her VMA 2001 performance was a pretty big deal as well. She was controversial all the time and was receiving attention for it. She was very much visible.

She topped Forbes, released a 5x platinum album, had her biggest tour so far ect. That's honestly too much success to not consider Britney era part of her prime.

And outside of the US, Slave/Overprotected/I'm not a Girl were all hits. Even **** like I Love rock n Roll peaked #7 in Germany.

The Britney album is her best-selling in many parts of Asia, notably in Japan, South Korea and Thailand.

Some people, even the media, have said Miley, Taylor and Gaga are Britney's sucessors, but honestly I don't believe this. Britney's rise to fame and popularity was and still is a phenomenon. Internet was not as popular, there was no social media and yet people all over the world knew her. 

I remember street vendors back in my home country selling Britney posters, Britney CDs, and these were people with no internet (back then not everyone had internet), her music wqs played EVERYWHERE and everyone wanted to dress like her.

None of the current popstars have accomplished that. Maybe social media makes them seem more accessible and therefore there's not that mistery that was there with Britney, but whatever, no one comes close to the power of Britney.

@ITZFFGL u are clearly confused about the timeline. Last Britney single was released in July 2002. Cry Me a river was released in December 2002.

And also how was Crossroads a flop? It used a 12M budget and made 61M (2002 $). If u mean that it flopped with critics then not even her music was ever "acclaimed", let alone her acting/movies.

3 minutes ago, Girl On The Moon said:

Some people, even the media, have said Miley, Taylor and Gaga are Britney's sucessors, but honestly I don't believe this. Britney's rise to fame and popularity was and still is a phenomenon. Internet was not as popular, there was no social media and yet people all over the world knew her. 

I remember street vendors back in my home country selling Britney posters, Britney CDs, and these were people with no internet (back then not everyone had internet), her music wqs played EVERYWHERE and everyone wanted to dress like her.

None of the current popstars have accomplished that. Maybe social media makes them seem more accessible and therefore there's not that mistery that was there with Britney, but whatever, no one comes close to the power of Britney.

I'd say the closest thing is Taylor Swift, but that's mostly based on album sales. Taylor has had nowhere near the same impact or influence. As far as media and fan attention goes, Justin Bieber comes to mind.

But there's nobody that has both.

2 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Basically Clear Channel was pissed that Britney went with Pepsi for the DWAD tour sponsor so CC stayed pressed and released statements to their stations that it would be in their best interest to not play any of Britney's singles. Most stations listened, some didn't. Basically, Slave, Pepsi, Austin Powers and TRL carried the era in the US. It really doesn't make any sense that the singles were smash hits internationally but duds in her home market right?

https://web.archive.org/web/20130102221344/http://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

Yeah both INAG,NYAW and Overprotected were top 3 in uk, did very well

Edit- overprotected peaked at no. 4, INAG at 2

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

I'd say the closest thing is Taylor Swift, but that's mostly based on album sales. Taylor has had nowhere near the same impact or influence. As far as media and fan attention goes, Justin Bieber comes to mind.

Oh yeah Justin Bieber is another phenomenon as well. No one can top him. I thought we were talking about women only, but Justin is truly a phenomenon.

I agree on Taylor, she's also this "untouchable girl next door" but besides sales, I don't think she has reached Britney's level of popularity.

5 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

How do those 2 rats come to ur mind but not Lady Gaga? Didn't her debut sell 16M? And she sure had lots of media attention and hype around her.

Closest we have to Britney is her.

5 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

Nope, that was still Primeney. ITZney was the beginning of her becoming a tabloid target because of the breakup and everything that followed. You are correct about fans being split about her leaving behind the girl-next-door image, but the cracks didn't really begin to show in the Britney era unless we take Stages/the DWAD tour in Mexico into account, which was in July of 2002 (that's also around the time she got in trouble for flipping off a bunch of paps while driving away, I believe): and even then, it was still at a manageable level and the tour was at its end, anyway, so the era was still widely successful despite the CC ban.

15 minutes ago, button said:

How do those 2 rats come to ur mind but not Lady Gaga? Didn't her debut sell 16M? And she sure had lots of media attention and hype around her.

Closest we have to Britney is her.

I guess it's because Justin and Taylor are similar to Britney's trajectory. That "girl / boy next door" image that turns into a more sexualized one. Taylor hasn't made the full 180, and that's probably why her demographic of younger girls has stuck around vs. Britney's that became a alienated with Britney / Zone but I've always looked at Gaga as much more of a Bowie / Madonna trajectory. They evolved in a different way, each era being a new gimmick with a different look vs a natural progression of things.

...And let's be honest here, Taylor's resume shows much healthier numbers and growth than Gaga's very rapid decline. They don't call her "Fad" for nothing.

And The Fame did not sell 16M, it's combined with The Fame Monster for a total of 16M.

IMG_694888ad7.jpg

IMG_6950096a4.jpg

Archived