Why hasn't female top stars after Britney competed Britney's peak/prime?

KatLove

5 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I guess it's because Justin and Taylor are similar to Britney's trajectory. That "girl / boy next door" image that turns into a more sexualized one. Taylor hasn't made the full 180, and that's probably why her demographic of younger girls has stuck around vs. Britney's that became a little alienated with Zone but I've always looked at Gaga as much more of a Bowie / Madonna trajectory. They evolved in a different way, each era being a new gimmick with a different look vs a natural progression of things.

...And let's be honest here, Taylor's resume shows much healthier numbers and growth than Gaga's very rapid decline. They don't call her "Fad" for nothing.

IMG_694888ad7.jpg

IMG_6950096a4.jpg

Well we aren't talking about career trajectory here though.

It's just about the peak. Gaga's peak was on her debut, complete with big sales and media attention/craze/controversy just like Britney's.

Taylor swift and Justin Bieber only cover one of the aspects of Britney's peak. Actually neither for Ratsin. :sofedup:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
10 minutes ago, Girl On The Moon said:

Oh yeah Justin Bieber is another phenomenon as well. No one can top him. I thought we were talking about women only, but Justin is truly a phenomenon.

:wtfdidusay: What? Just the other week he was asking fans to request his song on radios and provided links to make it easier... when Iggy did that I cringed and she only 'adviced' fans to ask... out of all these you're talking about he's the weakest. I like him but he's not all that... either Bruno Mars or Drake can top him and even those 2 can be topped...

I agree that Gaga is the closest someone had ever come to Britney.

18 minutes ago, button said:

Well we aren't talking about career trajectory here though.

It's just about the peak. Gaga's peak was on her debut, complete with big sales and media attention just like Britney's.

Taylor swift and Justin Bieber only cover one of the aspects of Britney's peak.

I agree with the sales bit but there is a difference in the media attention. With Britney and Taylor, it was about personal topics and their love lives. With Gaga, it was about whatever fugly costume she'd wear on the red carpet or about hanging herself on stage "for the fame". It was purely gimmick oriented, which explains the mass decline as people got bored. "Eh, a wannabe Madonna with added shock value?" Lady Gaga itself was indirectly marketed and seen as more of a product than Britney ever was. Nobody really cared about "Stefani" other than the hardcore stans, vs Britney having her virginity and feelings plastered on the front page of every supermarket tabloid. This is why her recent gigs like that The Sound of Music tribute and songs like Million Reasons are getting well received, regardless of her dwindling album sales. Because the GP is seeing an artist that is more authentic and are responding well to it.

9 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I agree with the sales bit but there is a difference in the media attention. With Britney and Taylor, it was about personal topics and their love lives. With Gaga, it was about whatever fugly costume she'd wear on the red carpet or about hanging herself on stage "for the fame". It was purely gimmick oriented, which explains the mass decline as people got bored. "Eh, a wannabe Madonna with added shock value?" Lady Gaga itself was indirectly marketed and seen as more of a product than Britney ever was. Nobody really cared about "Stefani" other than the hardcore stans, vs Britney having her virginity and feelings plastered on the front page of every supermarket tabloid. This is why her recent gigs like that The Sound of Music tribute and songs like Million Reasons are getting well received, regardless of her dwindling album sales. Because the GP is seeing an artist that is more authentic and are responding well to it.

The attention she received was indeed mostly for her crazy fashion and gimmicks but she was phenomenon nonetheless. All eyes were on her, albeit for a short time. Taylor was never a phenomenon in that sense. People around me don't even know about Taylor's relationships. It's mostly a teen gossip and stan thing. It didn't cross-over to the consciousness of older demographics the way Gaga's antics did.

25 minutes ago, Edge Of Leaving said:

:wtfdidusay: What? Just the other week he was asking fans to request his song on radios and provided links to make it easier... when Iggy did that I cringed and she only 'adviced' fans to ask... out of all these you're talking about he's the weakest. I like him but he's not all that... either Bruno Mars or Drake can top him and even those 2 can be topped...

I agree that Gaga is the closest someone had ever come to Britney.

Then why was Purpose the biggest sales week of 2015 at the time of it's release? Why did he sell 114k more copies than Drake did?

Why does he have back to back hits on the Hot 100 and consistent positions on iTunes?

Look at the Top 5 hits comparison in the last 2 years...

Justin:

(2015)

Where Are U Now - 5

What Do You Mean - 1

Sorry - 1

Love Yourself - 1

(2016)

Cold Water - 1

Let Me Love You - 4

Despacito (Remix) - 1

I'm the One - 1

Drake:

(2015)

Hotline Bling - 3

(2016)

One Dance - 1

Work - 1

Bruno Mars:

(2016)

24K Magic - 4

That's What I Like - 1

7 minutes ago, really really cool guy said:

Why is Taylor Swift even mentioned? :wtfdidusay: Most people over 30 don't even know her...she's still a kids/teens act and she's almost 10 years into her career.

Sis... her music literally gets played on all the adult light music stations here, along with the 80s and 90s classic mom and dad tunes. 1.2 million first week and only kids know her? kii.

2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Sis... her music literally gets played on all the adult light music stations here, along with the 80s and 90s classic mom and dad tunes. 1.2 million first week and only kids know her? kii.

Taylor is close to Britney's prime with hype.

Iconic hits Gaga got close to Britney's peak for an era and a half. 

She got so big and she released monster pop songs but it was only an era. Ever since she can't do it again. Britney did it every era for 6 albums straight she had an iconic symbol. 

Too bad they don't care anymore. 

1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Yes...in the US but her worldwide impact is not even close to Britney's and there's nothing iconic about Taylor. no memorable performances or even an outfit :plzexplain: Writing songs about her exes is the only thing she's known for. Don't try to put her in the same bag as Britney  :queenriri:

britney-spears-vmas-slave-4-u.gif

Just now, really really cool guy said:

Yes...in the US but her worldwide impact is not even close to Britney's and there's nothing iconic about Taylor. no memorable performances or even an outfit :plzexplain: Writing songs about her exes is the only thing she's known for. Don't try to put her in the same bag as Britney  :queenriri:

I never was, I said she's similar to Britney but without the same influence and impact. :queenriri:

Just don't come in here and try to speak biased fallacies about other pop stars success. :forkit:

Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
2 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Then why was Purpose the biggest sales week of 2015 at the time of it's release? Why did he sell 114k more copies than Drake did?

Why does he have back to back hits on the Hot 100 and consistent positions on iTunes?

Look at the Top 5 hits comparison in the last 2 years...

Justin:

(2015)

Where Are U Now - 5

What Do You Mean - 1

Sorry - 1

Love Yourself - 1

(2016)

Cold Water - 1

Let Me Love You - 4

Despacito (Remix) - 1

I'm the One - 1

Drake:

(2015)

Hotline Bling - 3

(2016)

One Dance - 1

Work - 1

Bruno Mars:

(2016)

24K Magic - 4

That's What I Like - 1

Well Purpose had the biggest first week sales of the year until that week because Adele released her album the week after, which outsold by 6/7 times AND because he had to bundle his album with concert tickets, as he was pressed and scared to miss the #1 spot as 1D was releasing the same week. Same that Katy did and most of you all dragged. Such a phenomenon!!! Drake released an album months later which debuted with over a million, did Purpose come anywhere close to that? Don't make stuff up, Drake outsold him months later by 2 times, and we all know that album sales are decreasing month to month.

Furthermore, Where Are U Now never went top 5 and it barely entered top 10 at #8, so lie cancelled. Again, Cold Water was not #1 can you stop inflating or do i need to leave you talking to yourself?

Further furthermore, most of his hits are feats which shows how much of a phenomenon he is, he even admitted he asked to be featured in despacito after seeing the reaction of the whole club when it got played, it had over 950m views before he even got featured.

Further further furthermore I'm glad you mentioned One Dance, that song alone was more successful than Sorry and What Do You Mean (which he had to pay dozens of celebrities to hype it up including Britney, he chose her to promote it a day before), if you need info ask me. It's funny that you're strangely picking the last two years which were his commercial peak, Drake hasnt left the Billboard Hot 100 since 2009, justin took years to get a #1 and his team was accused of having secret meetings with Billboard in order for his songs to chart higher, I don't know if it's true although I believe so I won't use that as an argument. Also, Bruno Mars has barely been active during the past few years and has been outcharting/outshining Justin. He has WAY more memorable songs than Justin's, it's a fact.

By the way, Justin said 3 days ago that drake is the biggest of this generation and called him a legend (nowadays everyone is a 'legend') so even he knows Drake is bigger than him. Justin is cool right now, like Kesha was cool for some time, Katy too, but he is not an icon, nor will EVER be (you didn't say it but i'm just stating the obvious), and this comes from someone who likes him and bought Purpose.

EDIT: Hotline Bling was #2 not #3, why are you upping Justin's numbers and downing Drake's, stop, Drake is bigger, and there are bigger artists than Drake, pe-riod.

Regarding Bruno Mars, Bruno has more #1's as the lead than Justin and his first 2 songs went #1 when Justin struggled for years and got his first with a vma performance on the same week, no sleep while promoting and with help from celebrities including Britney, not to mention the meetings his team is accused of having with Billboard. To end my point which clearly outshined your inflated stats, Uptown Funk was more successful than anything Justin will ever touch.

2 hours ago, really really cool guy said:

The most iconic thing regarding Taylor is the whole Kimye saga, and that's just tragic 

4 hours ago, Girl On The Moon said:

Some people, even the media, have said Miley, Taylor and Gaga are Britney's sucessors, but honestly I don't believe this. Britney's rise to fame and popularity was and still is a phenomenon. Internet was not as popular, there was no social media and yet people all over the world knew her. 

I remember street vendors back in my home country selling Britney posters, Britney CDs, and these were people with no internet (back then not everyone had internet), her music wqs played EVERYWHERE and everyone wanted to dress like her.

None of the current popstars have accomplished that. Maybe social media makes them seem more accessible and therefore there's not that mistery that was there with Britney, but whatever, no one comes close to the power of Britney.

That's whats missing. The phenomenon of artists. Your right its social media that makes artist now overexposed. Also, I think its also the art of music has just gone downwards.

3 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

But yet she can't top Adele sales and impact.

14 minutes ago, KatLove said:

That's whats missing. The phenomenon of artists. Your right its social media that makes artist now overexposed. Also, I think its also the art of music has just gone downwards.

Agreed. Nowadays there is no innovation. Britney always brought something new to the music scene with every album. 

8 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Basically Clear Channel was pissed that Britney went with Pepsi for the DWAD tour sponsor so CC stayed pressed and released statements to their stations that it would be in their best interest to not play any of Britney's singles. Most stations listened, some didn't. Basically, Slave, Pepsi, Austin Powers and TRL carried the era in the US. It really doesn't make any sense that the singles were smash hits internationally but duds in her home market right?

https://web.archive.org/web/20130102221344/http://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

Oh wow! That's so stupid!!! 

6 hours ago, button said:

@ITZFFGL u are clearly confused about the timeline. Last Britney single was released in July 2002. Cry Me a river was released in December 2002.

And also how was Crossroads a flop? It used a 12M budget and made 61M (2002 $). If u mean that it flopped with critics then not even her music was ever "acclaimed", let alone her acting/movies.

Sis I said I was young lmao!!! 

I didnt look at the timeline; I just remembered that era is when Britney started showing more skin and started alienating people that believed the wholesome/virgin image. Justin was like the nail in the coffin. 

But I also didn't realize all this radio ban stuff that BoyToySoldier just posted

29 minutes ago, ITZFFGL said:

Sis I said I was young lmao!!! 

I didnt look at the timeline; I just remembered that era is when Britney started showing more skin and started alienating people that believed the wholesome/virgin image. Justin was like the nail in the coffin. 

But I also didn't realize all this radio ban stuff that BoyToySoldier just posted

i was 3-4 :quirkney: i'm basing it off what i've learned over time

Archived