Why hasn't female top stars after Britney competed Britney's peak/prime?

KatLove

I was watching old videos and it got me thinking, since the 21st century Britney is the ultimate pop star and her peak/prime was the largest the world has ever seen in the 21st century. Like How MJ and Madonna were in the 20th century. Why is it 17 years into the 21st century the top females like Taylor, Adele, Beyonce, Katy, Gaga ever had that peak/prime that Britney had and changed the game in pop music and culture and had so many iconic moments? Also, the top females can't even rival Britney's *** appeal/icon in pop music like she was in her prime. So is it because music today has lost its purpose and art? Or society has changed so much the world doesn't want a mega superstar to emerge and change the game?

Also, I have to ask, was Britney behind all of her iconic moments? Her music videos, fashion style(that made her body look amazing in photos and videos), her stage performances? I have to know because people have said she's just a puppet and not creative at all or that she wasn't behind what made her "Britney Spears".

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

Because Britney's peak was up there with MJ & Madonna. She was EVERYWHERE.

I agree that her peak compared to the today female stars was so huge that people born after her prime can't understand why she is unparalleled in the 21st century, but I wouldn't say her peak was up there with MJ and Madonna esp with MJ. He is the most globally known human being. No one can compare.

I absolutely think Gaga did with The Fame+Monster, it was just a short lived phenomena. I also think Britney was the last pop star to blow up in a time when physical album and single sales were a mill+ on average.

You cannot compare record sales from 2001 to record sales post-2005. You really just can't. I know a lot of you try and call b/s on that but the rise of itunes and every other form of digital media and streaming warps expectations in terms of physical sales. You could argue Taylor Swift or Adele rival her based on numbers alone but quite honestly all they have are numbers. They weren't an all encompassing phenomenon as Britney was and honestly Gaga was. But like i already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, a lot of Britney stans either hate Lady Gaga or love to shade her so this opinion is obviously going to be an unpopular one. Im already waiting for an opposing response. And honestly its hard to say if someone like Ariana could have reached that same status if the landscape of the music industry was what it was back in britneys peak. The dominance of the internet and social media has forever changed the game, I dont think any one pop star can undoubtedly rule as hard as the past icons have (Britney, MJ, etc) because the way things are now simply wont allow it. Gaga is literally the only one thats gotten there and quite honestly Beyonce has in the states. Apparently worldwide beyonce isnt as prevalent? Supposedly.

8 minutes ago, blacklistedd said:

I absolutely think Gaga did with The Fame+Monster, it was just a short lived phenomena. I also think Britney was the last pop star to blow up in a time when physical album and single sales were a mill+ on average.

You cannot compare record sales from 2001 to record sales post-2005. You really just can't. I know a lot of you try and call b/s on that but the rise of itunes and every other form of digital media and streaming warps expectations in terms of physical sales. You could argue Taylor Swift or Adele rival her based on numbers alone but quite honestly all they have are numbers. They weren't an all encompassing phenomenon as Britney was and honestly Gaga was. But like i already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, a lot of Britney stans either hate Lady Gaga or love to shade her so this opinion is obviously going to be an unpopular one. Im already waiting for an opposing response. And honestly its hard to say if someone like Ariana could have reached that same status if the landscape of the music industry was what it was back in britneys peak. The dominance of the internet and social media has forever changed the game, I dont think any one pop star can undoubtedly rule as hard as the past icons have (Britney, MJ, etc) because the way things are now simply wont allow it. Gaga is literally the only one thats gotten there and quite honestly Beyonce has in the states. Apparently worldwide beyonce isnt as prevalent? Supposedly.

Only albums were at their peak when Britney came out.

Single sales are actually in favour of acts that came out after Britney (like Rihanna and Gaga). They were on the rise since 2007 and peaked in 2012. Over 2B songs were sold that year.

6 minutes ago, button said:

Only albums were at their peak when Britney came out.

Single sales are actually in favour of acts that came out after Britney (like Rihanna and Gaga). They were on the rise since 2007 and peaked in 2012. Over 2B songs were sold that year.

Because of itunes and streaming yes. I really meant more in regards to albums, I just threw singles in there.

2 minutes ago, button said:

yes iTunes revived single sales after they died in the early 00s.

btw are u "Misanthrope" on pop forums? i feel like that person is you.

I am misanthrope on ATRL yes. true to my screename, I often get banned because pop stans often piss me off. im just being real.

I used the screename I have here on Gagadaily though. but honestly **** Gagadaily. that forum is run by some real overly sensitive egos. maybe its that Gaga born this way foundation mentality they have idk, but its not made for me.

5 minutes ago, blacklistedd said:

I am misanthrope on ATRL yes. true to my screename, I often get banned because pop stans often piss me off. im just being real.

I used the screename I have here on Gagadaily though. but honestly **** Gagadaily. that forum is run by some real overly sensitive egos.

well by pop forums i meant atrI anyways.

so Gagadaily is like exhale? u say it how it is about Gaga and u get her delusional stans coming for u? the situation is far worse here though. u have people applauding Britney's joke of a Vegas show and u get cursed at for criticizing it.  :NYsassy:

33 minutes ago, blacklistedd said:

I think you can compare album sales back then to today. Look at Adele.

1 hour ago, button said:

well by pop forums i meant atrI anyways.

so Gagadaily is like exhale? u say it how it is about Gaga and u get her delusional stans coming for u? the situation is far worse here though. u have people applauding Britney's joke of a Vegas show and u get cursed at for criticizing it on top.  :NYsassy:

mmmm yes and no. on Gagadaily its not so much what you say but how you say it. if you're even mildly too aggressive, as I am, youll be reported and confronted by a mod almost immediately. so theres a lot more freedom of expression here and on atrl, because here theres no real boundaries. I think Britney stans are some of those most defensive though, you can barely say anything negative about her without getting a response coming at you lol but idk.

I feel like with Gaga in general theres this mentality of needing to criticize her somewhat so as not to appear like a stereotypically delusional little monster. so there are times in which people over compensate with the negativity and ultimately end up trashing her lol and then people defend her to that person and that person starts defending their negative opinion, then in the past theyve like gotten annoyed by the defensiveness and denounced her altogether. the monster "world" i guess is really weird. idk if that happens here.

6 minutes ago, KatLove said:

I think you can compare album sales back then to today. Look at Adele.

I mentioned Adele and Taylor Swift in my response for a reason though, yes they have numbers, but thats literally all they have. Neither have an all encompassing phenomenon in the same vein as Britney did back in her heyday or Gaga. Honestly Beyonce in the states rivals Britneys phenomena as well, but her numbers arent that impressive by comparison.

And quite honestly Adele or Taylor doing just over a mill on their first week is like this gasp worthy feat. Back in Britneys heyday that was just the norm. It still isnt comparable.

Archived