Tinashe Announces New Song "Stop Lights," Wants Another Britney Collab

Jordan Miller

• Leader

"I love female collaborations so the more, the better."

It's a big day for Tinashe.

She just dropped a new Tricky Stewart/The-Dream-produced song titled "Flame," her formidable bid to takeover pop radio. There's also a slick visual for the track on the way, so while we wait for that, salivate over the idea of a followup. It's titled "Stop Lights" and will be released soon through Pepsi's The Sound Drop, a collaboration with iHeartMedia, Shazam and Viacom that supports emerging artists "by providing tools to help heighten their visibility, produce content and build a deeper connection with fans," Billboard reports.

“I’m really excited that the campaign features brand new music and that’s a big deal for me, to get some new music out there,” Tinashe told Rap-Up of "Stop Lights," which she describes as high energy. “I wrote the song in my room. I recorded it in my room, so it’s definitely one of those personal songs to me. I’m really excited for everybody to hear it. Hopefully it gives you that good vibe and energy that we need to get through 2017 together.”

Tinashe also opens up about her forthcoming album Joyride. If you're slightly familiar with the budding singer-songwriter, you'll know the uphill battle it's been to release it. “It’s going to come out when it comes out,” she said. “I’m just excited to continue to release new material. I have a lot of new music and I’m really excited about that. It’s all good things.”

And on that second Britney collabo we mentioned in the headline? “Britney has been somebody that I’ve idolized since I was really young, so being able to work with her, being able to share the stage with her, is really surreal and incredible. I’ve enjoyed the experience tremendously,” she said. “I would love to get Britney on another track. We’ll see if it happens. I heard she was open to it, so maybe. I love female collaborations so the more, the better.”

2017 is her year.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She really needs to find her sound. I respect that she is so open to different genres and sounds (huge reason why I love her) but she really needs to find a sound that works for her and her voice, so she can at least have top 20 hit. 2 on was her last big hit, if you exclude Slumber Party. She needs to stay away from basic pop and find that IT sound that works for her. :beynah::beynah::beynah::beynah::beynah:

6 minutes ago, shinobu said:

She really needs to find her sound. I respect that she is so open to different genres and sounds (huge reason why I love her) but she really needs to find a sound that works for her and her voice, so she can at least have top 20 hit. 2 on was her last big hit, if you exclude Slumber Party. She needs to stay away from basic pop and find that IT sound that works for her. :beynah::beynah::beynah::beynah::beynah:

slumber Party peaked at #86 tho :orangu: 

6 minutes ago, shinobu said:

Her mixtapes styles fits her, but the problem is, she really needs the 'basic' pop route if she wants to rise, there's no other way sadly. :meltdown:

5 minutes ago, ohoney said:

Her mixtapes styles fits her, but the problem is, she really needs the 'basic' pop route if she wants to rise, there's no other way sadly. :meltdown:

right but some of her songs are like TOO basic (superlove) , she needs to feature a DJ or something - get diplo or calvin harris to produce a catchy synth song that allows her to hit the top 10 in time for the summer. That way, she'll be remembered and have that song that everyone listened to during the summer season. (I.e, This Is What You Came For) 

10 minutes ago, neel21 said:

slumber Party peaked at #86 tho :orangu: 

Right, but I meant in terms of relevancy. People started to realize who she was again after that song with Miss Knee Knee. If it weren't for the collaboration, she wouldn't really be as known as she is now. And the gays wouldn't really care for her.

It may be our only new music for awhile, so I'd be down.

I lIke Tinashe and her voice but like I see with other comments the music is bland. She needs to find a sound that she can slay at. Personally I think it's needs to either go full urban or full pop. The mix in between is doing nothing for her 

8 minutes ago, shinobu said:

right but some of her songs are like TOO basic (superlove) , she needs to feature a DJ or something - get diplo or calvin harris to produce a catchy synth song that allows her to hit the top 10 in time for the summer. That way, she'll be remembered and have that song that everyone listened to during the summer season. (I.e, This Is What You Came For) 

Superlove is kinda awful yes... But the problem is, often, the people who get a top 10 hit with the help of a DJ ends up being another 'one hit wonder', she needs another hit but by her own! :sassybrit:

She's a cool girl but she's like so low on the totem pole. Neither of her albums did anything amazing on the charts. Didn't this last one debut at like 80 something? She keeps releasing single after single that no one cares about, which I guess she's trying to find what sticks but still. After awhile when do you just get a clue? She's in her early 20s and she's already becoming an after thought. She needs to figure out why no one cares about her songs even when she does collab with major artists. 

2 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

She's a cool girl but she's like so low on the totem pole. Neither of her albums did anything amazing on the charts. Didn't this last one debut at like 80 something? She keeps releasing single after single that no one cares about, which I guess she's trying to find what sticks but still. After awhile when do you just get a clue? She's in her early 20s and she's already becoming an after thought. She needs to figure out why no one cares about her songs even when she does collab with major artists. 

this is harsh but the true reality of it all. :truthtea:

8 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

Because people would rather buy singles from people who can't dance or sing well. cool_jungkook_by_shawneigh-dab0m61.gif 

6 minutes ago, ohoney said:

Because people would rather buy singles from people who can't dance or sing well. cool_jungkook_by_shawneigh-dab0m61.gif 

Even so, you still have to have something that makes people want to consume your work. That IT factor. I don't see how Tinashe is any different from a Ciara or a Mila J or a Sevyn Streeter or Kehlani or whoever. There's a million girls who can sing or dance well. If you don't have the hits and you don't have pizazz then no one is gonna care. And Tinashe's singles and album numbers show that no one cares. She needs to figure something new out. 

3 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

Even so, you still have to have something that makes people want to consume your work. That IT factor. I don't see how Tinashe is any different from a Ciara or a Mila J or a Sevyn Streeter or Kehlani or whoever. There's a million girls who can sing or dance well. If you don't have the hits and you don't have pizazz then no one is gonna care. And Tinashe's singles and album numbers show that no one cares. She needs to figure something new out. 

Agree, but i find it sad that people keeps listening to really basic songs and even buying them but they don't pay attention to Tinashe... chanyeol_crying_by_ramenkpopemotes-daaaj

I loved "All Hands on Deck," and that's the only single of hers I've heard on pop radio. I think she should continue pursuing that same really uptempo, high-energy route, because it allows for her to really show off both her dancing and singing abilities, which do set her apart from other pop/r&b singers IMO.

5 hours ago, shinobu said:

Except she DID and DOES.

This was a demo she did with Calvin Harris back in 2014 while she was recording another song called Dollar Signs with him that made it on Calvin's album. However, Rihanna wanted this song too. So they put it on hold for Rihussy and Queenashe was left in the dust. :forkit:

Archived