Why wasn't Britney featured on Lady Marmalade?

Probably an old question but... I think it matches Britney so well, probably because of the BOMT performance from that ABC Special. And if there was P!nk, I think it would make sense to include Brit. Maybe Madonna too.

xtina-pink.gif

Edited by Fita

We'll never know unless any official statements are made, but my friends actually talked about this when the song came out in 2001, and one of my friends said Britney was too big and good enough to sing about openly being ******. This was right after we found out what the lyrics meant in french.

And this was before Slave 4 u, so Britney still had the pop girlie image at that time.

But I think it turned out for the best.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Because bar lil Kim, Britney wasn’t vocally on par with any of these girls. I don’t know why you guys think she’d have outshone the others. Pink and xtina would easily drown her out vocally. 

I also think Britney was doing just fine without it.  She’d already had a string of successful albums at this point, whereas Pink was coming off a debut album that wasn’t that successful and xtina hadn’t released a proper album in two years.   Luckily for those two, they both went on to have big albums after the success of this song. As for Mya……. I think this may have been her most recent hit lol. 

• Love 1
  • Like 6

Xtina would have nuked the set, obviously. :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom: While she has the part that is focused on voice, Britney would have simply stolen the attention by just existing. And if you maybe remember, her early / peak career was mostly focused on marketing Britney's music as a solo career. From 98 to 2011, she only had two official singles as collabs.

• Love 3
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, FullCircle said:

Back then Britney was telling the world she was a virgin and that she was waiting until marriage to be deflowered. LM didn't match her image. It didn't make sense for her to be in it. 

Yeah, I mean I don't think I was there watching it all happen but looking from where I am now, 2024, it would make sense.

Too **** for her at the time, She was still considered the virginal pristine pop star and most of her fans were children. American mothers will have lose it if she made a song about being a prostitute. Which is why when she released Slave, there was backlash because people thought she was too damn ****. 

Edited by J45x
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Danishfan said:

Because bar lil Kim, Britney wasn’t vocally on par with any of these girls. I don’t know why you guys think she’d have outshone the others. Pink and xtina would easily drown her out vocally. 

I also think Britney was doing just fine without it.  She’d already had a string of successful albums at this point, whereas Pink was coming off a debut album that wasn’t that successful and xtina hadn’t released a proper album in two years.   Luckily for those two, they both went on to have big albums after the success of this song. As for Mya……. I think this may have been her most recent hit lol. 

lady marmalade was not even about who was better vocally… mya has a soft voice like britney too and she sounded amazing… i think there was label stuff in the background… especially since it came out that christina was trying to run the show on that song

• Like 1

I think the song didn’t fit her brand. It’s not a song you can to, and Britney’s entire early career was built around her stage performances and heavy choreography 

dance with me rhythm GIF

Britney wasn’t known as a vocalist, the song is vocal heavy. The big voices in the song really does make the song stand out. Mya was the r&b, Christina pop, Christina rock, then rap lil Kim. It was really a great combination of genres and different sounds.

tbh I can imagine a version of the song with Britney instead of Mya. I can see Britney singing Mya’s voice in her **** croaky 2002 light airy whisper tone 

Edited by Oprah Winfrey.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, FullCircle said:

Back then Britney was telling the world she was a virgin and that she was waiting until marriage to be deflowered. LM didn't match her image. It didn't make sense for her to be in it. 

At that point Britney would've been fine doing it she had just came out with I'm a slave 4 u. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block