Artists you know who seemingly had it all but never made it?

2 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

omg this is so good! :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes:

IKR? Her album Colours is all over the place, but I love it. She was produced by Space Cowboy and both disappeared when Space Cowboy stopped working with Gaga.

Nadia has an IG and lives a very normal life now. Miss her.

Edited by CJMCH
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, CJMCH said:

IKR? Her album Colours is all over the place, but I love it. She was produced by Space Cowboy and both disappeared when Space Cowboy stopped working with Gaga.

too bad she didnt break through, what a gem tbh :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1
11 hours ago, trip to my touch said:

oh and dua lipa. cant name one thing iconic, except from bad dancing

Future Nostalgia??? Like, this is the 2020s "mainstream" pop bible alongside the likes of Teenage Dream and 1989 imo

But then again, what are those albums compared to Femme Fatale and Glory, or even Blackout :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: (still love them though)

Edited by FFBetterThanBlackout
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, trip to my touch said:

yeah but somehow I never had the feeling that she ´´made it`` and is safe amoungst the stars at the top

I personally think she's in the peak of her career, similar to how KP was after Teenage Dream, but then again I was 1 when that album came out so I don't think I felt that era to compare it with something :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

I think it'd take a VERY BAD record to take out Dua at the moment, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Houdini, even if Training Season is of similar quality, I don't think people would give up on her like for example, KP after Witness when her career wasn't as influential in the PRISM era, or Xtina after her experimental Bionic (which is amazing start-to-finish if you ignore Bobblehead and maybe IHB and Lift Me Up) alongside unusually long breaks between albums didn't pay off and ruin her reputation.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CJMCH said:

Space Cowboy in general didn’t really take off except for his work with Gaga.

I still enjoy this song too.

Another one I just remembered, Abs (or Abz), of boyband Five.

He released his debut solo album Abstract Theory in 2003 but it flopped despite the album’s three singles (What U Got, Stop Sign and Miss Perfect) going top 10 in the UK. He even got American R&B singer Nodesha on Miss Perfect but unfortunately her career flopped too. Despite the album flopping his label (RCA) attempted to release one more single, 7 Ways (featuring Eve Bicker), but its release was cancelled despite a music video being filmed for the song. 

It’s a shame (no pun intended) the album flopped because it was a strong debut that showed he could stand alone as a solo artist. I loved the funky vibe a lot of the tracks had and the experimental production on the two Xenomania tracks (Miss Perfect and 7 Ways). The singles run was perfect too, and Shame would have made a nice additional single although it did get a single release in Australia. Abs had so much charisma as a performer too. He even supported Beyonce on her UK tour dates that year. Oh and he was hot too… (but the face tattoos he got in recent years are a choice…) 

Unfortunately after this RCA dropped him and apparently he was said to be working on another solo album in the years following but nothing came about. Five attempted a brief reunion between 2006-2007 that didn’t go anywhere and Abs unfortunately had d r u g issues at the end of the 2000s. 

In 2012 Five reunited again for The Big Reunion and toured in 2013, but in 2014 Abs left the group (via TWITTER without telling his bandmates nnn) over “creative differences”. Since then he’s released solo music independently (mainly one-off singles and EPs), but his recent stuff… isn’t good. He’s trying too hard to be a “serious rapper” which imo, doesn’t suit him. He was good as a popstar who rapped and sang. It’s just a shame things didn’t work out for his solo career as he had so much potential. 

Edited by Isla
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Ehju0901 said:

Space Cowboy in general didn’t really take off except for his work with Gaga.

I still enjoy this song too.

That reminds me, I thought Space Cowboy was a “new artist” who debuted around the same time as Gaga, but I found out recently he released this as a single in the UK back in 2002. Apparently it was supposed to go top 10 but one of its physical formats was deemed ineligible to chart so it settled for #38 or something. 

Oh and he performed on Top of the Pops too!

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1

Mandy Moore. I know she’s super recognizable because of her acting career (This Is Us, Tangled, A Walk To Remember, Princess Diaries, etc) but for us Millennials she gave us some great pop songs and I feel should’ve had a bigger career than she had. Yes I feel she made a bigger impact than some of the Tik Tok fads nowadays given how charting worked back then, but I’m shocked her songs didn’t perform as well on the charts as they did in my household 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Mandy Moore. I know she’s super recognizable because of her acting career (This Is Us, Tangled, A Walk To Remember, Princess Diaries, etc) but for us Millennials she gave us some great pop songs and I feel should’ve had a bigger career than she had. Yes I feel she made a bigger impact than some of the Tik Tok fads nowadays given how charting worked back then, but I’m shocked her songs didn’t perform as well on the charts as they did in my household 

All of her early singles are so good. But out of her albums I feel like I’d only like her first two.

I also discovered this song recently and it’s very cute 

• Love 2
On 2/13/2024 at 10:17 PM, Isla said:

Oooh Agnes' Release Me is a bop! It was a hit here in the UK, I remember when it came out I thought she looked like Leona Lewis a bit ddd. She's performing at Mighty Hoopla in June! I'm going on the Saturday and I can't remember if she's performing on that day or the Sunday, if my financial situation improves I may go on Sunday too. 

I'll say Tulisa (of N-Dubz). There was a bit of hype with her solo career, especially coming off her judging role on X Factor, where she led Little Mix to victory. Her debut solo single Young went to #1 in the UK, the next two singles from the album (Live It Up and Sight Of You) went top 20 which is okay, but her solo album The Female Boss completely flopped (#32). It got really bad reviews at the time when imo it wasn't even a bad album, it had a good mixture of pop/dance/R&B-influenced songs and the midtempos and ballads were really good. Only the album's intro/outro were awful and could have been cut.

I do think they could have chosen better songs as singles following Young though. Unfortunately I think the public didn't have the most amazing perception of her which didn't help (especially with her s£x tape leaking that year). That Britain's Got Talent performance of Young wasn't good either... the song sounded awfully pitched and she didn't have much stage presence. 

Then the following year she left X Factor, and had that entrapment d r u g s court case which later got thrown out of court and I think that ruined her career a little bit. She released a number of singles in the years following but no album ever came out (Living Without You remains amazing, honestly I would have loved for Tulisa to release an album full of dance/house songs cause she suits the genre well imo).

Then in 2022 N-Dubz officially got back together so I think she's focusing on that now. But tbf, the N-Dubz reunion has done so well so I'm pleased for them. They've toured twice and released a new album last year. Seen them live on both tours and it was so much fun. Tulisa's getting royalties through her writing credit on Scream and Shout as well so it's all good!

Ah, yes, Tulisa, the Scream & Shout singer.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 10:15 AM, BUWYGF said:

Do you know any artists that weren't that popular with the GP but had absolutely everything to make it big in the industry? They had the voice, the looks, the skills, the energy, but they simply never broke through and in the end gave up? Feel free to share them here :) 

I have three who are amazing but never made it and I think have unfortunately gave up:

Ivy Levan is insanely talented. Looking gorgeous with amazing voice and a very interesting and fresh sound. She got some little momentum but then it simply didn't happen for her :( 

The next one is Alice Chater. Her dancing skills are INSANE, and her vocal abilities match Ariana's. Her music was also ahead of its time, she started incorporating the 80s sound long before Dua started it:

And last but not least, Agnes:

Her style is very peculiar and interesting, kind of like the female The Weeknd :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Some of you may know her by her hit from 15 years ago:

However this music direction was never something Agnes strived for, it was mostly her label pushing her into it. After this single she disappeared and came back after 12 years with the songs I've mentioned above :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Looking forward to listening to some of the artists you will share :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping:

Bonus: An artist that is currently struggling but I really hope will manage to break through:

Chanmina is a Japanese/South Korean artist/rapper. She basically breaks all the norms of S.Korean and Japanese music industries. While in S.Korea it's all about looking cute and at times, boss bi**h, and in Japan its basically infantilization of girls, Chanmina is coming through with her own badazz style that's very artistic. Very often even criticizing both music industries and their fans. 

and nicole scherzinger! Big time. not worth separating pcd for her lacklustercareer

On 2/15/2024 at 2:51 AM, FFBetterThanBlackout said:

Nicole Scherzinger, Ashley Tisdale, Carly Rae Jepsen and maaaaaaaybe Iggy Azalea. Christina Aguilera to an extent too, but she had relatively big success in multiple albums though, which the others sadly didn't manage to pull off (even though Emotion, Killer Love and Guilty Pleasure are golden).

nicole 100% but xtina not really. she will always be no.2 after britney but she defn made it back then

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block