Better late 90s debut (era) single? Britney Spears’ Baby One More Time, Christina Aguilera’s Genie In A Bottle, Jennifer Lopez’ If You Had My Love, Jessica Simpson’s I Wanna Love You Forever, or Mandy Moore’s Candy?

How is this even a debate? One defined the late 90’s teen pop genre and the others just showed up after.

Spoiler

Also saying BOMT has aged badly is ridiculous. You might wanna get your hearing checked.

Spoiler

Like I’ve said, if you want to stan Xtuna so badly, then go to her forum with the other 5 fans of Xtuna. Stop trying to tear down Britney.

Edited by The Femme Fatale
  • Love 2

I am beyond the moon 🌙 excited for ALL our pop princesses. I adored each one of them and more. They made my life so much richer. They have gone on to live wonderful, passionate, impactful lives. Achieving unimaginable success many times over in multiple industries. Many… belittled them. I never saw them as competitors. I saw brave women discovering their own strengths. They built empires while the world was focused on their bodies or boyfriend’s. 💛🩵🤟👑🤟💚💝 

Edited by LordofTheMoodRing
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, The Femme Fatale said:

How is this even a debate? One defined the late 90’s teen pop genre and the others just showed up after.

Hide contents

Also saying BOMT has aged badly is ridiculous. You might wanna get your hearing checked.

Hide contents

Like I’ve said, if you want to stan Xtuna so badly, then go to her forum with the other 5 fans of Xtuna. Stop trying to tear down Britney.

Love BOMT but it doesn't get more generic. Oops, Slave, MATM and Gimme More at least had their own individuality and identity. BOMT sounded like a rehash of what Max Martin was doing for Backstreet Boys and Robyn from 1997-99.

Yes, ofc dear. We know. There is absolutely no denying that BOMT had the most impact but that's not what this thread is debating. Quality wise, GIAB feels more fresh to me and has aged better. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, justin4britney said:

Literally nobody references the GIAB video as a pop culture moment…ever. 

This thread isn't debating which song had the biggest pop culture moment or impact. Obviously, the answer is BOMT. Can Britney fans not read bc y'all are too damn predictable at this point. 

gramys-Gags6j3jsg-6-Fw-Gagatina.gif

11 minutes ago, BadBunny said:

Love BOMT but it doesn't get more generic. Oops, Slave, MATM and Gimme More at least had their own individuality and identity. BOMT sounded like a rehash of what Max Martin was doing for Backstreet Boys and Robyn from 1997-99.

Yes, ofc dear. We know. There is absolutely no denying that BOMT had the most impact but that's not what this thread is debating. Quality wise, GIAB feels more fresh to me and has aged better. 

Idk how BOMT is generic. It also doesn’t sound like anything Robyn or BSB put out at that time. If you’re saying BOMT is generic, then GIAB is generic too since it was created for the same teeny bop genre of the late 90’s. BOMT had that iconic piano riff, GIAB has nothing memorable to it.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods

I like all of these songs but I think my favorites would have to be BOMT and Genie.

I do like IWLYF but I'm a sucker for bubblegum pop.

Candy is a good song but its a little too Kidz bop Britney knock off for me

and If You Had My Love is alright, I think Waiting For Tonight is much better and should've been her debut single instead.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

IThink Waiting For Tonight is much better and should've been her debut single instead.

Think that in the USA in the 90s and 00s it was R&B/pop that was popular. It would have been risky as a debut Waiting For Tonight there (and first you need to make in the USA for a brand, she was from there), If You Had My Love consolidated she as a star and that made Waiting For Tonight successful later. In fact was rare that a Dance/House genre song was succsesful in that era in USA.

Edited by descg
  • Super Mods
6 minutes ago, descg said:

Think that in the USA in the 90s and 00s it was R&B/pop that was popular. It would have been risky as a debut Waiting For Tonight there (and first you need to make in the USA for a brand, she was from there), If You Had My Love consolidated she as a star and that made Waiting For Tonight successful later. In fact was rare that a Dance/House genre song was succsesful in that era in USA.

Hm that makes sense.

Yeah as I recall about the late 90s and early 00s is that R&B and Pop were very popular.

Destiny's Child are a good example of a popular from both of those genres.

14 hours ago, Broccoli Spears said:

3: If You Had My Love

*most of this song jlo didn't sing btw :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

I remember back in time Candy- ezgif-com-gif-maker.webp

Especially her goofy face expressions..

For me it's hard to rank those, because I can't bring back my past feelings about these. I liked them all.

Edited by Wendy Williams
18 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Hm that makes sense.

Yeah as I recall about the late 90s and early 00s is that R&B and Pop were very popular.

Destiny's Child are a good example of a popular from both of those genres.

Even in the VMAs the category Dance Video was about Pop uptempo song or video with coreography, Dance-pop in USA was another concept that Dance in Europe (back then). Even the host says to JLo that Waiting For Tonight was really the only nominee song of that year being Dance genre:

• Love 1
4 hours ago, The Femme Fatale said:

Idk how BOMT is generic. It also doesn’t sound like anything Robyn or BSB put out at that time. If you’re saying BOMT is generic, then GIAB is generic too since it was created for the same teeny bop genre of the late 90’s. BOMT had that iconic piano riff, GIAB has nothing memorable to it.

Yes, BOMT sounds similar to Robyn and BSB, but is catchy as ****.

GIAB is more futuristic and different from the music of that era.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, OutofKontrol said:

Plus the remix was hot too!

The remix is even better, i love the "castañuelas" flamenco thing, and T-Pain saids that when in 2001 they release the remix compilation and hears this remix with autotune in a radio advert from the album he wanted from him and the rest is history.

8 hours ago, The Femme Fatale said:

Do you not know anything about music? Do you know how to take your stan lenses off for a day in your life so you can stop being biased? Max was literally recycling and rehashing the same synths and drum patterns as he was doing for swedish artists like Jessica Folcker, Robyn, etc, as well as with the Backstreet Boys. 

As someone already said, GIAB had a more futuristic sound whereas BOMT followed a rather traditional formula which was heavily inspired by 80s glam metal meets 90s Swedish pop. Nevertheless, both are great songs but BOMT was obviously the most safer one and the video that went along with it cemented Britney’s status as an overnight icon. Again, why can’t we appreciate the fact that both songs are good? I just happen to slightly prefer GIAB. 

Edited by BadBunny
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, descg said:

Yes, BOMT sounds similar to Robyn and BSB, but is catchy as ****.

GIAB is more futuristic and different from the music of that era.

Thank you. It’s insane how Britney fans are too stuck in their own delusions to even realize that the instrumentation of BOMT was a rehash of what Max was doing for Robyn/BSB. And yes, GIAB is obviously more futuristic and risky whereas BOMT was more formulaic. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block